High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Thread!

smooch

Original Poster
Hey there, I am sure this is going to be met with a lot of laughter and criticism but I am truly curious if anyone else here has watched HSM:TM:TS and if so what their thoughts were. I waited til like 5 episodes were out before I started out of sheer boredom and curiosity one night and after I got past the first episode or two, I started to enjoy the show and it became a guilty pleasure of mine. I watched the original movie and the second when they released on Disney Channel when I was young, so I was into the concept of this The Office style show where it's real life but with a camera crew with the interviews after events in the show. It was a fun show to just turn my brain off and watch, and I think the fact that I'm only 20 and had lots of friends in drama in high school which caused me to almost basically become a drama kid by association made the show more fun to me. I thought the actor who played Ricky seemed really natural with his acting and he really felt like a real person. There were definitely cringe-worthy moments, but like I said after the first two episodes the story actually became really interesting. The relationships the characters had were dynamic and didn't feel forced to me, but that being said I don't admit to anyone I watched the show (except you all now) because I know that it has a bad reputation. I'm just curious to see what anyone else has to say if they watched the show. I searched and couldn't find a thread for this show, so if someone has a link to an already established thread they could reply with I will gladly take this thread down.

gerarar

Premium Member
Hey there, I am sure this is going to be met with a lot of laughter and criticism but I am truly curious if anyone else here has watched HSM:TM:TS and if so what their thoughts were. I waited til like 5 episodes were out before I started out of sheer boredom and curiosity one night and after I got past the first episode or two, I started to enjoy the show and it became a guilty pleasure of mine. I watched the original movie and the second when they released on Disney Channel when I was young, so I was into the concept of this The Office style show where it's real life but with a camera crew with the interviews after events in the show. It was a fun show to just turn my brain off and watch, and I think the fact that I'm only 20 and had lots of friends in drama in high school which caused me to almost basically become a drama kid by association made the show more fun to me. I thought the actor who played Ricky seemed really natural with his acting and he really felt like a real person. There were definitely cringe-worthy moments, but like I said after the first two episodes the story actually became really interesting. The relationships the characters had were dynamic and didn't feel forced to me, but that being said I don't admit to anyone I watched the show (except you all now) because I know that it has a bad reputation. I'm just curious to see what anyone else has to say if they watched the show. I searched and couldn't find a thread for this show, so if someone has a link to an already established thread they could reply with I will gladly take this thread down.
Hey there! I'm right there with you with HSMTMTS!! It was my guilty pleasure to watch weekly right after The Mandalorian on Friday evenings.

I was a huge fan of the trilogy back when I was in elementary and middle school. Being 20, I still rewatch it a couple times every year, lol. Anyways, I thought the show was wonderful honestly. It didn't try to replicate and directly copy the movies, but does stand on its own. Like you said, Ricky was a highlight for the show, and imo Nini as well. The songs were not the same as in the movies, but they do stand on their own and still are catchy.

I feel like everyone thought this show would be a joke and bad, but if you actually give it a chance, it will surprise you. Many people start off watching this series as a joke, but the tides turn on them! I didn't know my roommates watched the show until I caught them humming Just For A Moment recently haha..

Disappointed to hear that season 2 won't revolve around HSM2 tho, but will be interesting where they take the show from here..

I love love love this show-- started watching just out of curiosity but I was hooked. I'm looking forward to season 2! Be proud, it is really a great and entertaining show!

smooch

Original Poster
Hey there! I'm right there with you with HSMTMTS!! It was my guilty pleasure to watch weekly right after The Mandalorian on Friday evenings.

I was a huge fan of the trilogy back when I was in elementary and middle school. Being 20, I still rewatch it a couple times every year, lol. Anyways, I thought the show was wonderful honestly. It didn't try to replicate and directly copy the movies, but does stand on its own. Like you said, Ricky was a highlight for the show, and imo Nini as well. The songs were not the same as in the movies, but they do stand on their own and still are catchy.

I feel like everyone thought this show would be a joke and bad, but if you actually give it a chance, it will surprise you. Many people start off watching this series as a joke, but the tides turn on them! I didn't know my roommates watched the show until I caught them humming Just For A Moment recently haha..

Disappointed to hear that season 2 won't revolve around HSM2 tho, but will be interesting where they take the show from here..

Last semester I had a sort of shifted schedule where my classes were either online / later in the day, so I ended up staying up later and sleeping in later than usual, so I watched all the Disney+ originals at midnight between Thursday and Friday when they released and I did the same thing except with The Imagineering Story instead of The Mandalorian, I had to wait til Friday evenings to watch with my dad cause we watched the episodes all together. A few nights, if I didn't want to watch the over an hour long episode of The Imagineering Story I would just watch the new HSM:TM:TS and then go to bed after.

I think Nini's character was interesting, she was really dynamic and realistic in her conflict between Ricky and EJ, both screwed up but everything happening seemed believable. I am sad that they aren't doing it about HSM2 also! Why wouldn't they, maybe they don't want to be accused of being stuck with such a specific theme of the show, but I loved HSM2 and watched it all the time when it came out. I would've loved to see it turned into a high school drama play, but I will be happy just getting more episodes eventually in any form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom