High Quality Disney Ride Videos

actorsource

Original Poster
My Disney Rides high quality videos are almost ready. I plan on selling them at a very minimal cost to cover shipping & the price of the DVD. I have videos of the insides of all the rides...heres my question......

I have received letters from people saying that it is illegal to sell the DVD's.....but how is it any different than selling your personal home videos? There are disclaimers on the DVD's which say all images are copyright Disney....etc....

I know some rides say no filming but there are lots that dont. Heck...i've even had Cast Members see me filming & ask me to use the view finder instead of the screen so as not to distract others.

Your thoughts?

Disney2002

Originally posted by actorsource
My Disney Rides high quality videos are almost ready. I plan on selling them at a very minimal cost to cover shipping & the price of the DVD. I have videos of the insides of all the rides...heres my question......

I have received letters from people saying that it is illegal to sell the DVD's.....but how is it any different than selling your personal home videos? There are disclaimers on the DVD's which say all images are copyright Disney....etc....

I know some rides say no filming but there are lots that dont. Heck...i've even had Cast Members see me filming & ask me to use the view finder instead of the screen so as not to distract others.

Your thoughts?

Every single ride video would include images, trademarks, and other various copyrights of the Walt Disney Company. As such, the DVD's are indeed illegal. You would indeed be receiving money in exchange for a product that exists solely based on Disney property. Think of it like the recent lawsuit against the Beatle Remix album. It makes money of a previous product.

Having home videos is no problem; that is, unless you have filmed areas that Disney expressly forbids. If they are your personal products and are not distributed, there is no problem.

Having ride videos on the net is a grey area. They are not being sold; however, disney can legally argue that you are causing harm to the company by creating a substitute for a visit to the park. I think we all agree that they only make us want to go back even more, but Disney has the law on there side... and a significant amount of precedent.

I know you are not looking to profiteer of the DVD's... that expense would cover your production and shipping. However, once again the law doesn't care. It is similar to laws against scalping tickets. In many states, tickets must be resold from anywhere from 10% to 100% less than the face value to insure you do not make ANY profit.

I know it sucks... and chances are you'd never get caught... but... if you were called on it... I would bet the situation would be pretty crappy.

josh_e_washie

Yes I agree,
The fact that you are selling these DVD's could cause quite a big upset with the company... Believe me I would love to have one too! But I don't want you to suffer a multi million dolar lawsuit over it! Just looking out for ya!:)

testtracker

Yea filming somthing like figment or Snow White wouldn't be legal because Disney owns the rights to them. (I think thats right) I wouldn't try it. :zipit:

tropicalsnowfla

Could you maybe give the DVD away for free, and charge whatever price you choose for the case? Sure it might be a loophole, but technically you wouldn't be profiting from Disney material. I've seen scalpers "legally" selling free concert tickets inside triple digit candy bars before after all... what a world :animwink:

barnum42

Selling copyrighted images without a cut going to the copyright holders is illegal, even if it’s not for profit.

I’m involved in performing stage shows on a non-profit basis. We still have to give a cut of the takings to the copyright holders. However I somehow doubt that Disney would give you the rights sell your videos.

Tramp

Orange Jumpsuits and Cuffs are fashionable.

Originally posted by actorsource

Your thoughts?

My thoughts? I find it mindboggling that someone would join a Mickey Mouse forum to ask legal questions concerning a business into which he is about to embark.

civileng68

Account Suspended
LEGALITY

Originally posted by tropicalsnowfla
Could you maybe give the DVD away for free, and charge whatever price you choose for the case? Sure it might be a loophole, but technically you wouldn't be profiting from Disney material. I've seen scalpers "legally" selling free concert tickets inside triple digit candy bars before after all... what a world :animwink:

I can tell you this is the way to do it. I can say this for a FACT. Why do you not think there are more copyright cases out there than there are? It's simple. First off, unless you are mass producing they won't waist their time with you.

Secondly, here's the loop hole and as obvious as it is, it is legal.

Sell the "dvd, and charge shipping" and when you do so, you get for free whatever is on the DVD.

Or to even go at it more cautiously do what the above poster says.: Sell something cheap with the DVD and make the DVD "free".

Example: I won't say I did this, not that I didnt. Someone that I know, not that it was me, not that it wasnt, had 2 World Series tickets this year for sell and sold them over face value. To make it legal, this person basically made the tickets "free" and sold a simple baseball card as the "sale".

77johnson77

YES~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 THANK YOU, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO PUT A POST ON ANYONE THAT HAS ALOT OF DISNEYWORLD RIDES TAPED SO WHAT RIDES ARE TAPED AND I WANT TO BUY IT!!!!!! I DONT CARE ABOUT ILLEGAL!!!!! I NEED THEM I ONLY HAVE TESTRACK, AND SE, THANKS SO MUCH

Disney2002

Re: LEGALITY

Originally posted by civileng68

Secondly, here's the loop hole and as obvious as it is, it is legal.

Sell the "dvd, and charge shipping" and when you do so, you get for free whatever is on the DVD.

Or to even go at it more cautiously do what the above poster says.: Sell something cheap with the DVD and make the DVD "free".

Example: I won't say I did this, not that I didnt. Someone that I know, not that it was me, not that it wasnt, had 2 World Series tickets this year for sell and sold them over face value. To make it legal, this person basically made the tickets "free" and sold a simple baseball card as the "sale".

However this is a copywrite issue for which royalties must be paid back to the company regardless.

barnum42

Originally posted by 77johnson77
YES~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 THANK YOU, I WAS JUST ABOUT TO PUT A POST ON ANYONE THAT HAS ALOT OF DISNEYWORLD RIDES TAPED SO WHAT RIDES ARE TAPED AND I WANT TO BUY IT!!!!!! I DONT CARE ABOUT ILLEGAL!!!!! I NEED THEM I ONLY HAVE TESTRACK, AND SE, THANKS SO MUCH

You can download lots of Disney Video material at Disney Central. You need to use IRC, which once you get your head around it is not too bad. They have a website that includes instructions on what to programs download plus how to install and configure it.

WDW Resort TV

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom