Hi from Pennsylvania!

allgiggles

Our family of 3 has been to WDW twice. We plan on driving down from P.A. April 2018 for our 3rd trip. I've never driven to Disney...should be interesting!

We've made the drive from PA to Disney 7 times and will be doing it again next summer. It's a 15.5-hour drive for us (not including stops, traffic slowdowns, etc.). We usually split it over 2 days doing most of the driving (13-14 hours including stops) on day 1 -- often stopping in Savannah for the night. It's a 4 hour drive to Disney from there. We arrive at Disney by noon -- well rested and ready to spend a few hours in a park. I know some people can't even fathom driving that far, but it works for us. We have 5 kids so it's way cheaper for us to drive than fly (and lucky for us, the kids all travel well in the car -- though they're all teens and twenties now -- but even as preschoolers they did great in the car.).

Welcome to the boards!

Elfinko

Original Poster
Thank you for the information! We are from the SE portion of the state. Can you recommend a stopping point on the way home? We do plan on stopping around Savannah on the way down.

allgiggles

Thank you for the information! We are from the SE portion of the state. Can you recommend a stopping point on the way home? We do plan on stopping around Savannah on the way down.

We try to stop somewhere north of Richmond, VA, so that we have one less big city to drive through/around in the morning. :) We've stayed in Ashland, VA a few times and we've also stayed in Fredericksburg, VA. Both have plenty of hotel and restaurant options.

We always say that on the drive down, once we're passed Richmond, if feels like clear sailing for the rest of the drive because we're past the worst of the traffic areas. There can be traffic in Jacksonville, but we're usually traveling through there on a Sunday morning so it's not really a problem. And then we hit some traffic on I-4 as we get closer to Disney. But then on the way home, it's a whole different ballgame. We usually leave Disney really early (by 6:00 a.m.) on a Sunday morning which helps us avoid the I-4 and Jacksonville traffic, but then it means we're hitting DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, & Philadelphia on a Monday morning. We find that if we plan it so that we don't hit DC before 9:00 a.m., it's not too bad.

Elfinko

Original Poster
Thank you.

I'm leaning towards taking 81,77 down, vs 95...mostly to avoid the headache inducing traffic and tolls on 95. It looks longer in terms of miles by about 40 miles, but it's only about 15-30 minutes longer in terms of time every time I compare the 2 options on Google map. Sometimes it's even quicker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom