HHN Orlando Review 2010

Jasonflz

Original Poster
Here is my review for HHN XX. (WARNING: Spoiler Alert)

Having never experienced HHN before, visiting during the infamous 20 Years of FEAR theme was a real treat. I was able to experience the various characters from the past as well as some newer, equally terrifying characters. Definitely a great trip. (and sorry for no pictures)

Houses- (From Weakest To Best)

The Orfanage; Ashes to Ashes:
Located on the waterfront side of the Jaws lagoon, this old-run down boat house offers a great area for a house. Unfortunately, this house doesn't have much to offer. The concept itself is creepy, but most of the scares are from a group of eery children (some with animal heads). The lack of special effects or unique lighting sort of subtract from the experience. Also, the house itself doesn't boast any major scares, just creepiness.

Zombiegeddon:
Originally hearing about this concept, I had some high expectations for this house. To be truthful, I was a tad let down when finally walking through it. The funny concept barely gets any leverage and the story feels forgotten once you enter the house (shame, considering the hilarious preshow). I would be lying though, if I said this house was terrible. A few fun sight gags, and some good makeup help out with the presentation. Overall, this house is a fun experience but doesn't go too far when compared to the houses farther up on this list.

PsychoScareapy; Echoes of Shadybrook:
Feel nervous about the name? Well as scary as the name of this house sounds, the house itself is scarier. The setup inside a haunted insane asylum is great, especially the way the house opens. You go from being outside of the asylum itself (which, by the looks of it, is going insane) to inside a mountain of madness! The interior sets are pretty cool, as are the scares, especially with a few "Shocking" moments here and there. The only major problem is the lack of memorability here. There really is not much that sets this house apart from an average haunted house, although the use of a Psychoward is pretty cool.

Catacombs; Black Death Rising:
As far as haunted houses go, this one is pretty dark. You spend half the house traipsing through black tunnels where any creature could be lurking in the wall, blending in. (or, in some cases, above you) The scares in this house are fun, and the makeup design is pretty good. Definitely one to check out.

Legendary Truth; The Wyandot Estate:
While most houses nowadays strive for intense jump scares and impressive make-up effects, Legendary Truth takes a more low key style and makes alot out of it. The best way to describe the feeling of walking through this house is like an old episode of Scooby Doo. Walking through corridors of a decrepit mansion where, at any corner, something could fly out at you. Rather than focusing on scare performers that are fully dressed up, these costumes are very low key. They are also supplemented with great lighting and some very impressive visual effects (hint: look down as you enter the first corridor). Legendary Truth makes the most out of nothing with it's elaborate sets and unique effects.

Havoc; Dogs of War:
While Havoc is #3 on my list of houses, this is by far the scariest house of the group. Anyone who has been unnerved by the claustrophobicness of sci-fi horror like Alien and Event Horizon will be terrified at this house, set in a particularly similar style. A group of mutated soldiers (some of the grossest make-up effects in my opinion) are on this loose throughout this futuristic facility and are at every corner. To make matters worse are flashing lights and incredibly loud noises that give jump scares a new meaning here. Not too mention that this is one of the more hard core houses in terms of violence and special effects.

Hades; The Gates of Ruin:
By far the best make-up of all 8 houses. This sends you screaming back through greek mythology and I must admit, the costumes and sets are amazing. Appearances from Medusa, Minotaur, and Hades himself highlight this impressive house.

HHN; The Hallow'd Past:
This is, out of all 8 houses, the BEST. Basically, the Hallow'd Past takes all of the famous character from HHN's past and pt them together in one house. Guests meet; The Caretaker, Jack The Clowm, and Malice in Wonderland (among some) in this twisted maze of hell. Impressive sets, ranging from prop warehouses and a maze of mirrors, twisted special effects, a spinning tunnel and fog, and great make-up effects prove that this is the best house of the group. Also, the scares here are genuine, second only to Havoc. Definitely a must visit.

Chrononymous

Thanks for taking the time to write this great review, jasonflz!

I have never had the pleasure of being there to experience them myself, but I do collect pics, videos and personal accounts and reviews of all their past work there, from visitors and colleagues of mine in the Haunted Attraction industry.

Your ratings seem to be similar to what others have said as well...although many rank the Hades and Havoc houses higher.

I guess it depends on what really scares you!

Sounds like a blast! (and their usual good work!) they really do an amazing job there in terms of design...in both layout of houses/mazes, and in designing new kinds of scares that become industry standards!

SleepingMonk

Great review.

We'll be there next week, really looking forward to it.

I have to say they'll need to go a long way to top last years Dracula, Wolfman and Frankenstein houses. Those were amazing set pieces.

Jasonflz

Original Poster
No problem.

The set pieces this year were pretty good.

I'll put up the scare zones review soon.

Jasonflz

Original Poster
Scare Zones (In order on Map) *SPOILER ALERT

HHN; 20 Years of Fear:
Ironically the first scare zone I will be discussing is in my opinion, the scariest. Here, every famous character from Horror Nights past (Jack the Clown, Norman Bates, Chucky, Chainsaw Team, etc.) is prowling the streets. There isn't much theming in this area (mostly fog effects) but here, every scareactor comes after, leaving little room to hide.

Fear Revealed:
Honestly, this area isn't much of a scare zone, but more of a meet-n-greet. The massive fire-spouting XX symbol is the only hint of theming here, but the legendary FEAR character makes up for this. His design is impressive and fortunately, he lets you get a picture with him. A few other characters appear for some cool photo ops.

Zombie Gras:
Ever wanted to see New Orleans turn into hell? In Zombie Gras, you walk through a Mardi Gras parade from the undead. The makeup here is fun and colorful and this is one of the more light hearted aspects of HHN. (plus, who can pass up an oppurtunity to see Zombies carrying around beads and instruments.)

Saws'N'Steam:
As terrifying as a lone chainsaw might be, imagine a whole scare zone full of them. This particular scare zone branches off into three sections. First is the normal street scare where performers wielding chainsaws stalk you. Second is a fun little side act involving military styled chainsaw killers. I won't give too much away here but I have to admit, this is a cool idea that definitely has a creepy side. Third is the main scare zone itself. You pass through a steam covered alleyway where the maniacs might be around any corner. Not really too much but still fun.

The Coven:
This is probably the weakest scare zone of them all. Mainly it is a reversed version of the salem witch trials with burning pilgrims and gloating witches. There isn't much theming and the scares are minimal.

Esqueleto Muerte:
This happens to be the first visible scare zone as you enter the park. By all of the scares, Esqueleto Muerte is by far the most colorful, and most imaginative of the bunch. Taking a voodo styled approach, you are forced to travel through a maze of neon skeletons and Mardi Gras styled decor. The crazinees mixed with the color will be great for the younger crowd.

Overall, the scare zones were pretty good this year.

Skip

If I may throw in my 2 cents rather than start a new thread...

LEGENDARY TRUTH: Right now tied for best house, completely depending on your timing. The house feels like Haunted Mansion crossed with Paranormal Activity crossed with Fighting Gravity - the day-glo masks take some getting used to, but the scare tactics feel fresh and original. The sets are lavish and fun to explore, though the finale is a bit anti-climactic. Still, simply due to its unorthodox nature (despite it being about a basic haunted house...), Legendary Truth is one of the best this year.

HADES: GATE OF RUIN: The other house tied for first at the moment. I'm a sucker for Greek Mythology, and while this house does get a few things wrong, it's mostly a joy/terror ride through some of the scarier moments of the mythos. Cyclops, Stygian witches, Furies, Minotaurs, Medusa... some great creatures, solid sets, good gore, and well-done scares. Only weakness is a VERY lackluster finale (essentially, Hades doesn't show up to his own party).

HORROR NIGHTS, THE HALLOWED PAST: They had the right idea with this house - take a bit of everything and smash it together, and it somewhat works. The prop warehouse scenes are incredible and have the best representations of the older years (I-XIV); sadly, after you hit the vortex, any reference to something before Year XIV becomes very rare, with the exception of Treaks & Foons. The fact that I started attending year XVIII and recognized 90% of the recreated scenes in this house... that's a bit of a lazy copout, but no matter. The majority of the scenes they pick work, it's scary, the finale's still weak (lot of weak finales this year), the warehouse is a great tribute - but no FEAR was a disappointment.

CATACOMBS: Scariest house of the event, easily. The fictional history is very cool, and the plague doctors are far more menacing than you'd expect. It sort of feels like one continuous set, but that isn't exactly a bad thing - the setting is eerie and keeps you on your toes, as scare actors can come from a ridiculous amount of directions. This house is the only one that had a truly great finale this year.

ZOMBIEGEDDON: Starts as a humor house, quickly evolves into some of the most convincing chaos I've ever seen communicated through a haunted house. I'm not too into zombies but the the Z.A.P. theme was pretty cool, the sets are surprisingly good with a ridiculous amount of detail, and the costuming is well-done. Lots of good scares in the latter half of the house when the zombies go loose, but before that it takes a bit in setting up the plot.

ORFANAGE: The Jaws queue gets a lot of flack for having hosted two terrible houses (Dungeon of Terror Retold & Reflections of Fear) despite the fact it's hosted several good ones (Friday the 13th, SAW). Orfanage thankfully falls into the latter category - the atmosphere is incredible when the crowd around you is quiet enough to take it in. They truly set a mood in this dark space, giving you an incredibly uneasy feeling. Sure, it's pretty much The Skool in the Jaws queue, but that's okay. The fire effect is creative and a nice touch, and seeing Cindy, officially, is awesome.

HAVOC: If you haven't realized it yet, HAVOC shares its layout and even some of its set pieces with last year's lackluster The Spawning. This is a tad disappointing, though to be fair the walls and a majority of the set dressings were redone to resemble a military research facility. The facade out front is the best I've ever seen for a tent, and while the sets are very weak, the scare actors rock it - these are some intense casts who make the most out of what they've got. Adrenaline is the way to describe this house, which while in the bottom 3, still provides plenty of scares.

PSYCHOSCAREAPY: This house isn't bad... it just feels... tired. I've never been to any of the previous Psychoscareapy houses, and to my understanding they moved away from the comedy vibe the others had to a more serious tone... frankly, I think they should've stuck with comedy. Psychoscareapy seems like it would only work if we actually had a bunch of scare actors (err, ghosts?) act like they're bat**** crazy in a completely stereotypical way... these guys are painted in gray scale (and do not resemble ghosts in any way) and simply stand and glare. If I had just entered this house not knowing what the theme was, I couldn't tell you - I might've said a prison, since there's jail bars and an electric chair, but very little asylum - and the scare actors play prisoners far better. The cameo of Jack is cool, but otherwise, this house disappoints for now.

ESCUELETO MUERTE
Originally I thought this zone was a bit of a dud - atmosphere's great and all, but there has to be scares for it to be a SCARE zone. Luckily, they've added some black-cloaked figures who blend in really well with the environment and are effective at getting scares. The costumes here are exquisite and the set dressings impressive and trippy - this zone can only get better.

THE COVEN
My current favorite. The set is somewhat claustrophobic fun and I dig the Puritans, who work extremely well with the "siren" witches and can both serve as barkers and potential scarers. The willow huts get me every time, and the costumes for the hag witches are excellent. If they can keep up the scare level, I'll be visiting this one frequently.

ZOMBIE GRAS
What the hell happened here. It's a good idea, and the music creeps me the hell out - but the zombies here are simply not effective at getting scares at this moment. They lumber around carrying either a bloody instrument or a limb/head, but that's about it - I saw two people actually going for scares (with minimal success). They need to crank up the intensity on this one big time, because right now you exit the chaos of Zombiegeddon and find yourself in this mess. Also, the parade float is a good idea, but it's so off to the side that it's almost useless... I wish it were parked in the middle of the zone so there could be more concentrated scares and less wandering around...

SAWS'N'STEAM
Very, very good. Sting Alley is a great spot for a zone and I hope they use it again in the coming years. The detail and set dressings are excellent, with a gratuitous amount of fog... the chainsaws are great, but I wish more of them hung out in the actual alley - it's hard to see in there and they could easily nail more scares. The stage spewing steam on the New York side is awesome, and I dig the barker.

CHAINSAW DRILL TEAM
Great, great, great. Their formation is solid and they're fun to watch... especially the reaction when they "break". There's nothing really else to say, they're the roaming drill team and they get some good scares. Keep it up guys.

TWENTY YEARS OF FEAR
Amazing, amazing detail and love the claustrophobic feel due to the prop warehouse. It's awesome to see such a variety of characters, but like Hallow'd Past, WAYYY too many people from the last 3 years. Some good scares, though, and seeing The Cryptkeeper is unreal.

FEAR REVEALED
With the exception of the Minions, Eddie, and the delightful Cindy (who deserves some sort of actress of the year award), this is a photo op zone, which is perfectly okay in my book. The icons each have their own little set which works pretty well... just wish the Terra Queen & Bloody Mary could have been included in the fun. FEAR is... cool... I guess. But he just stands there and shifts his arms when his prerecorded dialogue comes on. He's a disappointing icon, plain and simple, though he looks kind of cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom