Hey Ap'ers, how does it feel to know you are a contingency plan?

TQQQ

Original Poster
Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said that the company has contingency plans if the country enters a recession and they need to boost numbers. She said that they can offer discounts on hotels, the reservation system can be adjusted (meaning let even more people in) and finally that they could restart sales of annual passes.

If this isn't a huge slap in the face to their most loyal fans then i don't know what is.

"we don't want you in the parks because you don't fit our guest spending profile, but if our numbers are hurting, we will let the peasants back in"

WTH happened to this management group? They only care about profit, not people.

Well if the stock is any indication, they have screwed up on both fronts.

What a disgrace this company is right now

EPCOT-O.G.

Does she have a contingency plan, given how poorly the stock’s performed over the last year? And down 11% today.
413601B4-E5E3-426C-9026-999AB64685C0.jpeg

EPCOT-O.G.

The stock is tanking because DTC costs are out of control. Parks have pretty much nothing to do with it.
She’s CFO of the entire company, not just the Parks. Their mismanagement has led to this. They rode the lightning of wanting to be a tech company, and now it’s time to pay the piper. Not sure how deploying APs strategically or bragging that their recession discounts in the future won’t be as generous as in years past gets her a pass because they keep fumbling all things big (D+) and small (Galactic Starcruiser, expensive nighttime spectaculars that are mothballed 18 months later)

el_super

If this isn't a huge slap in the face to their most loyal fans then i don't know what is.

This has always been the case. Pricing is based on demand. It wasn't obvious for a long time, because Disney was generally less flexible in the past, and set all their demand estimates and pricing for a full 12 months in advance.

But honestly, this isn't any different than airlines or hotels or any other market-based pricing. Higher demand = higher prices.

I'm actually a little surprised they haven't moved to transition to the APs/MKs to something more in line with an airline loyalty program, as I thought they would have last year.

She’s CFO of the entire company, not just the Parks. Their mismanagement has led to this. They rode the lightning of wanting to be a tech company, and now it’s time to pay the piper. Not sure how deploying APs strategically or bragging that their recession discounts in the future won’t be as generous as in years past gets her a pass because they keep fumbling all things big (D+) and small (Galactic Starcruiser, expensive nighttime spectaculars that are mothballed 18 months later)

I don't think you're realizing the core issue here. The parks made money last quarter, probably more than any other quarter in their history. The street thinks it wasn't enough. Putting Disney under this kind of pressure is going to lead to more cuts and more disruptions in the park product. An acceleration of whatever re-valuing transition plan they currently had in effect.

If the street thinks Chapek isn't making them enough money, they will put someone into the CEO role that will cut even more.

Disstevefan1

Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said that the company has contingency plans if the country enters a recession and they need to boost numbers. She said that they can offer discounts on hotels, the reservation system can be adjusted (meaning let even more people in) and finally that they could restart sales of annual passes.

"we don't want you in the parks because you don't fit our guest spending profile, but if our numbers are hurting, we will let the peasants back in"

WTH happened to this management group? They only care about profit, not people.

Well if the stock is any indication, they have screwed up on both fronts.

What a disgrace this company is right now
WDW is a business and don't be fooled, they never cared about the locals.

Well, we are stuck with PPRs so that totally devalues all APs, so starting from there,
IF the price is right,
IF it included free parking, THIS IS A MAKE OR BREAK FOR ME
IF there are not loads of blackout dates,
If I could pay monthly,

I would consider it.

Thats a lot of IFs

TQQQ

Original Poster
WDW is a business and don't be fooled, they never cared about the locals.

Well, we are stuck with PPRs so that totally devalues all APs, so starting from there,
IF the price is right,
IF it included free parking, THIS IS A MAKE OR BREAK FOR ME
IF there are not loads of blackout dates,
If I could pay monthly,

I would consider it.

Thats a lot of IFs
Well i got some news for you, that ain't happening so go renew your Universal AP

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Considering Disney is a multi-billion dollar company who doesn't know I exist, I feel fine. Thanks for checking!

Laketravis

12 years ago this month I remember taking my then 5 year old to WDW for his first time.

A week at the Contemporary, 6 day park hoppers, and free dining. So many perks awaited us when we arrived at MCO, and including air fare I believe that trip set the three of us back a little under $5k.

Ahhhhhh.......those were the days. When WDW was begging people to come. Now over a decade later and after several billions of dollars wasted on yield management failures that negatively impacted customer satisfaction, they have "levers" so they think they won't have to offer such deep discounts ever again.

Silly management. They never learn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom