Hess Gas Station at the Boardwalk to close for refurbishment

righttrack

That is a popular spot where people do walk to for provisions from the Boardwalk area resorts. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to walk along that road, however. Seems dangerous, but it sure is close.

JohnD

When will it re-open? It's a convenient place for me to get gas before heading home. I'm staying at Pop Century 10/19-25.

Snooker

Actually, I heard a while ago that Hess had sold their stations to Marathon (I believe). So maybe the refurbishment is to change the name? Hess will continue in the oil exploration business.

dumboflyer

I know this is the epitome of first world problems, but I always avoid Hess stations because they all seem to lack the little ridged plate in the gas pump that lets you lock in the trigger while you wash your windows, make faces at your car's occupants, etc.

Is it petty? For sure.

But I just don't want to sit there squeezing the handle the whole time I fill my car with gas, if I don't have to.

lazyboy97o

I know this is the epitome of first world problems, but I always avoid Hess stations because they all seem to lack the little ridged plate in the gas pump that lets you lock in the trigger while you wash your windows, make faces at your car's occupants, etc.

Is it petty? For sure.

But I just don't want to sit there squeezing the handle the whole time I fill my car with gas, if I don't have to.
I seem to have that problem throughout Florida. I have found that they are there more often than not at the Hess stations within Walt Disney World.

maxairmike

Is it petty? For sure.

I remember thinking that when I first moved down here, but they must have replaced pump handles over the last few years because all the Hess stations I frequent have them (I prefer Hess, Race Track gas doesn't seem to be as good). Granted, they're usually only 1 or 2 spots as opposed to the 3 stop handles on the Marathons back up north, but that doesn't really matter anyway.

BrianV

Is it petty? For sure.

We never seem to have them anywhere in Massachusetts (the little auto fill latches). Maybe they are against the law at self serve. So I don't miss them there.

We did use that gas station last time on the way back to the airport. If you fill the rental car extra full, you can make it all the way to the airport on full.

Last edited:

Rob562

We never seem to have them anywhere in Massachusetts (the little auto fill latches). Maybe they are against the law at self serve. So I don't miss them there.

I believe you are correct in that some states do ban the use of the gas-pump "trigger locks". Here in Mass pretty much all stations removed them quite a number of years ago.

That is a popular spot where people do walk to for provisions from the Boardwalk area resorts. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to walk along that road, however. Seems dangerous, but it sure is close.

I'm sure many people just make a beeline for the station and cross wherever and walk along the road, but if you want to be safe there are sidewalks you can follow. There's one that starts by the guard shack at the entrance to the Boardwalk lot and runs down to the intersection of Epcot Resorts Blvd and Buena Vista Drive. (You can also walk straight across to the far corner of the Boardwalk lot to get to this point, too) There is then pedestrian crossing signal to get you over to the Hess station safely (and legally).

-Rob

dreamfinder

I believe you are correct in that some states do ban the use of the gas-pump "trigger locks". Here in Mass pretty much all stations removed them quite a number of years ago.

Yeah. I've seen stickers on the pumps in some areas of New England that say it's illegal it use anything to hold the pump handle in place.

n2hifi

Is it petty? For sure.

I just stick my gas cap in the handle to hold it open.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Is it petty? For sure.

I seem to have that problem throughout Florida. I have found that they are there more often than not at the Hess stations within Walt Disney World.

That is actually due to local laws. Quite honestly, I do not know a city or state that allows them at self service locations.

The logic is that it avoids a person getting back in their car, building up static and then causing a fire when they grab the pump.

It also avoids someone leaving the pump unattended and having the flow back shut off fail.

There is a bit of a hack though. Most gas tank caps are just the right size to be wedged into the handle and perform the same task.

muteki

That is actually due to local laws. Quite honestly, I do not know a city or state that allows them at self service locations.

The logic is that it avoids a person getting back in their car, building up static and then causing a fire when they grab the pump.

It also avoids someone leaving the pump unattended and having the flow back shut off fail.

There is a bit of a hack though. Most gas tank caps are just the right size to be wedged into the handle and perform the same task.
They are pretty much standard at all gas stations in NC.

PhotoDave219

It's a Hess thing. They do that at all their stations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom