Hess Express Gas Stations to be rebranded as Speedway

PREMiERdrum

As has been said, they're everywhere up here (the Buckeye state)... Have the other Florida conversions changed the look of the stations at all? I'd hate to see the design of the WDW HESS stations changed. The atypical Speedway look is quite generic.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As has been said, they're everywhere up here (the Buckeye state)... Have the other Florida conversions changed the look of the stations at all? I'd hate to see the design of the WDW HESS stations changed. The atypical Speedway look is quite generic.
The stations here got a nice new paint job and the logos switched out. One of the older ones got a new canopy. Aside from that, nothing changed. The shelves are still in the same place with the same stuff on them.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The HESS nearest to me rebranded several weeks ago. After a few tanks of Speedway, I noticed that my car was behaving pretty sluggishly, so it's back to the more expensive Shell for me. :(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The HESS nearest to me rebranded several weeks ago. After a few tanks of Speedway, I noticed that my car was behaving pretty sluggishly, so it's back to the more expensive Shell for me. :(
The Jiffy Lube I transferred to when I became a manager after high school had a no touch car was attached to it. I would sooner smash my bits and pieces in a car door than ever have to deal with one of those things again.

Stupid customers aside, (boy do I have stories) those thing break constantly. Ours spent about 25% of its life under repair.

popcenturylover

There's a Speedway right across the street from Shell near my place of work & their prices are about the same. Give or take a few. Is there really much of a difference for you?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
There's a Speedway right across the street from Shell near my place of work & their prices are about the same. Give or take a few. Is there really much of a difference for you?

25 cents a gallon, but the two stations aren't close to each other, and are in fact in different counties.

PREMiERdrum

Fun fact: This won't be Speedway's first venture into a theme park.

In the ill-fated "Worlds of Adventure" days at Geauga Lake, Speedway sponsored the park's antique car ride... You entered under a copy of the typical Speedway station marquee, and along the course of the ride you passed by a replica of a Speedway gas station, complete with rows of products ready for sale.

14642.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

Based on the changes at my local HESS gas stations recently here in Brevard County, FL. There are few changes. Most noticeable are the name change on signs and pumps also the green stripe on the pump station canopy (roof) changing to a red one. There may be other changes based on the store location but that's about it. Nothing too fancy. Just seems like a quick and dirty name change.

Here's a link to a time-lapse of the hess to speedway changeover.

Monorail_Red_77

Was wondering how long it would take them to get to the WDW Hess stations. Didn't the Hess station at EPCOT Resorts get a recent refurb too? or was it the one at DTD? Oh well. On with the show.

Goofnut1980

Speedway is absolutely huge here in Ohio and surrounding states. You are actually suprised if you go into any town and there is not a Speedway!

They are building a new Speedway a block from my house in Columbus... They tore down an old Shell station (a-frame style) and are making a mega speedway with like 16 pumps... ugh... I just love Columbus traffic!

dumboflyer

That likely has little to do with HESS. The presence or absence of the lock can be controlled by everything from local laws to individual station management.
Having lived in Orlando for two stretches and sampled a fairly wide variety of gas stations, I know that Hess stations (on WDW property or off) universally did not have those little catches. My assumption was that it was a company policy. Perhaps it was also an RCID regulation, but I know that other Orange, Osceola, and Polk Co gas stations had them.

Sort of funny what minor oddities stick in my mind. My wife advocates for trying to flush such things to make memory room for more significant things. If only I could...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having lived in Orlando for two stretches and sampled a fairly wide variety of gas stations, I know that Hess stations (on WDW property or off) universally did not have those little catches. My assumption was that it was a company policy. Perhaps it was also an RCID regulation, but I know that other Orange, Osceola, and Polk Co gas stations had them.

Sort of funny what minor oddities stick in my mind. My wife advocates for trying to flush such things to make memory room for more significant things. If only I could...
That was the case here in Jacksonville for a long time at pretty much every station. I was told that there was a local ordinance prohibiting them. It seemed to make sense as the lock would be on a new pump shortly after install, but would be disabled after inspection.

Fast forward 20 years and pretty much every station has the locks with only a few removing them.

In reality I would wager that it was an over zealous city inspector that eventually retired.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom