Here's A Thread That Won't Last Long...

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
But, that's OK. For the last few weeks and still going on I have undertaken (tee hee) the fun project of planning my own Funeral. Well, not just that, but, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney, you know all that fun stuff.

Over that past few months my Ex-wife, has been going downhill at what seems like a rapid rate. She is no longer able to speak clearly or communicate problems that she might be having. Although she spent most of her life as a Registered Nurse, she managed to ignore the thought that at some point in time we are all going to leave this Mortal Coil. My Daughters are having nightmares trying to do the right thing for her, without knowing what she wanted. Worried that they might make a decision that will make the situation worse. All I have been able to do is listen to them expressing their frustration and sorrow about the entire situation. So I decided that I didn't want to saddle the two people that I love above everything else in the world with that burden and that I would make sure that I have pre-planned and communicated my wishes while I was still able to let them know.

Now this isn't by any means a fun adventure. To begin with you have to accept your own mortality and that isn't easy to do without obsessing over it, but, so far I think I have done fairly well keeping it separate and they have been terrific in encouraging me to do this, thankful that I am and at the same time not really wanting to talk about it. But, talk about it they have done. It is amazing how helpful they have been in make suggestions and helpful thoughts about what they would like to see happen as well.

We used lunch at "Cracker Barrel" today to discuss it privately, just them and myself. It was hard to get it started, but, once we did ideas, thoughts and emotions flowed like water. I am so lucky to have children (now middle aged) that are willing and able to communicate with me. Due to the sudden meeting two of my older grandchildren asked their mothers if Grandpa was dying and they just aren't telling them. Tough answer because no, nothing is going on right now that is an indication that my departure will be anytime soon, but, this past year has taught me that it is easy to think you are healthy and then have something evil just appear.

I don't even know why I'm telling you all this. I guess it's because the project is depressing on one hand, but, seems rewarding that I can help them not have to try and figure out what I might want in the event that I am unable to tell them at the time. I encourage everyone to at least think about taking care of that stuff before hand and save a lot of stress on your family when the time comes to deal with it. I'm also lucky that they both have a powerful sense of humor and sense of reality that allows them to be serious and light hearted all at the same time. I like that in a person.

OK, enough "Debbie Downer" stuff... back to Disney and it's Magic.

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

It's an incredibly selfless endeavor you have undertaken and I can't express how much I admire (a) that you have taken the time to think beyond yourself and look towards easing their burden when that unfortunate time comes and (b) that you have taken the time to share this process with us - intimate strangers, if you will. I'm also sorry for your having to see the deterioration of your ex - that can't be easy.

Something tells me, however, that you'll be telling kids to get off your lawn for a long time to come. ;)

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
But, that's OK. For the last few weeks and still going on I have undertaken (tee hee) the fun project of planning my own Funeral. Well, not just that, but, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney, you know all that fun stuff.

Over that past few months my Ex-wife, has been going downhill at what seems like a rapid rate. She is no longer able to speak clearly or communicate problems that she might be having. Although she spent most of her life as a Registered Nurse, she managed to ignore the thought that at some point in time we are all going to leave this Mortal Coil. My Daughters are having nightmares trying to do the right thing for her, without knowing what she wanted. Worried that they might make a decision that will make the situation worse. All I have been able to do is listen to them expressing their frustration and sorrow about the entire situation. So I decided that I didn't want to saddle the two people that I love above everything else in the world with that burden and that I would make sure that I have pre-planned and communicated my wishes while I was still able to let them know.

Now this isn't by any means a fun adventure. To begin with you have to accept your own mortality and that isn't easy to do without obsessing over it, but, so far I think I have done fairly well keeping it separate and they have been terrific in encouraging me to do this, thankful that I am and at the same time not really wanting to talk about it. But, talk about it they have done. It is amazing how helpful they have been in make suggestions and helpful thoughts about what they would like to see happen as well.

We used lunch at "Cracker Barrel" today to discuss it privately, just them and myself. It was hard to get it started, but, once we did ideas, thoughts and emotions flowed like water. I am so lucky to have children (now middle aged) that are willing and able to communicate with me. Due to the sudden meeting two of my older grandchildren asked their mothers if Grandpa was dying and they just aren't telling them. Tough answer because no, nothing is going on right now that is an indication that my departure will be anytime soon, but, this past year has taught me that it is easy to think you are healthy and then have something evil just appear.

I don't even know why I'm telling you all this. I guess it's because the project is depressing on one hand, but, seems rewarding that I can help them not have to try and figure out what I might want in the event that I am unable to tell them at the time. I encourage everyone to at least think about taking care of that stuff before hand and save a lot of stress on your family when the time comes to deal with it. I'm also lucky that they both have a powerful sense of humor and sense of reality that allows them to be serious and light hearted all at the same time. I like that in a person.

OK, enough "Debbie Downer" stuff... back to Disney and it's Magic.
And this is why I like you. A lot. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you have such a warm, loving, and respectful relationship with your girls. The daddy/daughter relationship is about as good as it gets.

Best wishes for your ex, as she approaches the end of what sounds to have been a productive life here on this Earth.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Kudos to you and your daughters. You're not obsessing about the situation; you're confronting it in a calm and rational manner, while in a comfortable, non-crisis situation. Best to get it out in the open and discuss preferences for arrangements. If nothing else, just getting the financial aspects of the whole thing out in the open is helpful all around. (Dying isn't cheap these days . . . we'll just leave it at that.)

Because I work in a hospital, I've heard about many scenarios faced by families when a loved one passes away. (For the purpose of this example, I'm focusing on patients who have had a long illness, or very elderly patients, whom the family knows doesn't have long for this life.) You'd be surprised how many of the families haven't made any type of arrangements, etc., and then in a crisis, they're all quickly trying to figure out what the heck to do.

So your approach is a healthy and balanced one. My boss has been drumming this same approach into our heads for years now--have the "talk" with your family well BEFORE a crisis hits.

Nemo14

((Hugs))
Having just gone through the loss of my mom, I totally agree with you about preparing for the end. Mom had told us what she wanted, and despite the inevitable disagreements when there's a large family involved, for the most part, all went well, and allowed my siblings and I the gift of humor as we reminisced about growing up in a large family.
I would just add to your advise one more thing. Take a good luck at all the "stuff" you've accumulated through the years, and make sure you don't leave your children the burden of sorting through endless boxes of "treasures" that they might not appreciate. My mom never really had much, and she had pretty much divvied up her valuables when she first moved to Florida, but I've heard horror stories from some of our friends about the task of sorting through their loved ones' stuff.

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
((Hugs))
Having just gone through the loss of my mom, I totally agree with you about preparing for the end. Mom had told us what she wanted, and despite the inevitable disagreements when there's a large family involved, for the most part, all went well, and allowed my siblings and I the gift of humor as we reminisced about growing up in a large family.
I would just add to your advise one more thing. Take a good luck at all the "stuff" you've accumulated through the years, and make sure you don't leave your children the burden of sorting through endless boxes of "treasures" that they might not appreciate. My mom never really had much, and she had pretty much divvied up her valuables when she first moved to Florida, but I've heard horror stories from some of our friends about the task of sorting through their loved ones' stuff.
Thank you Nemo... I seriously was not aware that your Mom had passed away. My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

donaldtoo

First off, and sincerely, so very sorry to hear of your ex's decline. But, so glad to hear of your proactivity in regards to your own, eventual, demise.
Lately, and especially after my pops fairly recent quadruple bi-pass surgery, myself and DWifey have taken on such tasks.
And, although we're a bit younger ;), especially when you start a family, it's very important. We already started a will right after our firstborn, but, feeling as bulletproof as we did back then ;), modifications have also been made since. We don't like dwellin' on it either, but, we're also so very lucky, as are you, to have well-balanced kiddos that are as happy as they can be, but, at the same time, get life.
It happens, enjoy as much of it as possible, and then, at some point, our earthly existence will end. Fact. Not sad, just FACT.

Personally, I like your thread, and hope it will last as long as you do...which is a very, very, very, very, very long time...!!! ;)

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
First off, and sincerely, so very sorry to hear of your ex's decline. But, so glad to hear of your proactivity in regards to your own, eventual, demise.
Lately, and especially after my pops fairly recent quadruple bi-pass surgery, myself and DWifey have taken on such tasks.
And, although we're a bit younger ;), especially when you start a family, it's very important. We already started a will right after our firstborn, but, feeling as bulletproof as we did back then ;), modifications have also been made since. We don't like dwellin' on it either, but, we're also so very lucky, as are you, to have well-balanced kiddos that are as happy as they can be, but, at the same time, get life.
It happens, enjoy as much of it as possible, and then, at some point, our earthly existence will end. Fact. Not sad, just FACT.

Personally, I like your thread, and hope it will last as long as you do...which is a very, very, very, very, very long time...!!! ;)
Thanks, and let me tell you that this age thing doesn't just creep up on you, it come at full speed. You sit and think.. wasn't it just yesterday I was getting out of college and preparing to start my life and all it's adventures. Then you blink your eyes and you start to think about the end and what that will be like and how to I get ready for it. All that seems to happen within just a few days of each other.

Yes, I do hope to be around for a very long time, if for no other reason then to raise the ilk of the N & R posters. ;) I seem to have a knack for that, but, I hope that I also am able to display a less serious side and provide a chuckle or two here in the "I can't take myself all that seriously" threads. :)

donaldtoo

Thanks, and let me tell you that this age thing doesn't just creep up on you, it come at full speed. You sit and think.. wasn't it just yesterday I was getting out of college and preparing to start my life and all it's adventures. Then you blink your eyes and you start to think about the end and what that will be like and how to I get ready for it. All that seems to happen within just a few days of each other.

Yes, I do hope to be around for a very long time, if for no other reason then to raise the ilk of the N & R posters. ;) I seem to have a knack for that, but, I hope that I also am able to display a less serious side and provide a chuckle or two here in the "I can't take myself all that seriously" threads. :)

Yep, as I always continue to relate to younger colleagues and friends that are starting their lives and families together... "Don't blink!" ;)
You just don't really notice it as much when you're younger, but, it really does fly by, doesn't it...?!?!?! :confused:

Anyway, I expect you to be around for many more years and givin' 'em heck in N&R, and wherever else you see fit...!!! ;)
All the best, and peace to you...! :)

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Some may not find this funny, some might think it is beyond bad taste, but, it kept me chuckling for a considerable length of time. Today I went Funeral Home searching. I found one that was convenient for everyone involved and stopped in to get some options and prices. While looking around at my options I noticed a Cremation container that is shaped like and painted like a colorful Chock Full o' Nuts Coffee Can. I thought it was just a joke, but, it turns out it was for real. Somebody talk me out of securing that please. I guess once it's buried it will only be a joke that I am aware of. Go out smiling I always say!
Well, truthfully, I don't always say that, but, it seems appropriate right now. :joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Some may not find this funny, some might think it is beyond bad taste, but, it kept me chuckling for a considerable length of time. Today I went Funeral Home searching. I found one that was convenient for everyone involved and stopped in to get some options and prices. While looking around at my options I noticed a Cremation container that is shaped like and painted like a colorful Chock Full o' Nuts Coffee Can. I thought it was just a joke, but, it turns out it was for real. Somebody talk me out of securing that please. I guess once it's buried it will only be a joke that I am aware of. Go out smiling I always say!
Well, truthfully, I don't always say that, but, it seems appropriate right now. :joyfull:

I like your idea! HA! I've always told my family that if I croak before them, to throw me in a GLAD bag! :p

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
One thing I didn't know existed were these little tiny salt & pepper shaker urns where some of your ashes are put in them and can be given to family members if they want a little piece of you to hang around. Cool! I want to have my ashes put in the shaft of a golf club so I can continue to hit slices long after I am gone. :joyfull:

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
Let's just hope you're around for a very long time.
:)
We can hope, but, yesterday I responded to one of those Facebook things where they gather information, allegedly from your posts and determine things about you. This one was when you are going to die. I read through it and all my "friends" were getting 90 to 101 years old. Mine came up 67. The bad part is that in 4 more months I will no longer be 67. I would have been 68 if I hadn't read that damn post. Curse you Facebook, you have ruined my life (or what little is apparently left of it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom