Here come the mermaids

GrumpyFan

TouringPlans@TouringPlans
The Mermaids are just projections and movement in the water accompanied by their song from the movie. Pictures won't really show it.

I know the consensus here tends to frown on projections, and I might normally agree, but I like the sound of this, if it works right. I can visualize this in my head with several of them either swimming around feverishly as they did in the movie, or maybe on occasion one coming near the surface and watching you as your boat passes by. I think it gives the flexibility to randomize their appearances, so they're more mysterious. This way you will only see them on occasion, making it a (magical) "treat" if you will.

MerlinTheGoat

I was under the impression these mermaids were supposed to be physical figures. Did something happen in the planning or was this always the intention to use projections and I just misheard?

GrumpyFan

I was under the impression these mermaids were supposed to be physical figures. Did something happen in the planning or was this always the intention to use projections and I just misheard?

I was thinking the same thing, almost like there was going to be a spot in the attraction where new animatronic figures would be added. However, I don't know that anybody ever said officially that they would be this, I just think that's what we assumed or imagined.

danv3

There is a mermaid skeleton on the beach. I only saw bubbles near the skull rock where the mermaids are supposed to be.

Didn't care for the music.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
The way that I read it the TouringPlans twitter post, it says "Projections and movement". I'm guessing the movement part is physical. I'm interested to see about the effect. I need to find out if this is going to scare or excite my little ones.

elchippo

I know the consensus here tends to frown on projections, and I might normally agree, but I like the sound of this, if it works right. I can visualize this in my head with several of them either swimming around feverishly as they did in the movie, or maybe on occasion one coming near the surface and watching you as your boat passes by. I think it gives the flexibility to randomize their appearances, so they're more mysterious. This way you will only see them on occasion, making it a (magical) "treat" if you will.

I'm okay with the sounds of this....I like the idea of more than one projection in the ride....having only one makes it seems out of place, and since they are in close proximity to each other, sounds like it would work for me.

WDWYankee15

A "Limited Magic" treat! :D

I want to see them so badly! The mermaids were one of my favorite parts of the Pirates franchise. I despised the 2nd and 3rd movies, but the mermaids picked up the 4th one for me. Someone will post video soon I hope!

NYwdwfan

In the interest of my getting something accomplished today at work, can someone please post a video or a written play by play of the effect? I have completely allowed this to consume my every thought and am obsessingly checking this site for updates!!

*everyone who thinks I have issues, raise their hand* :lookaround:

GrumpyFan

If it is projection in the water, I'm thinking it's going to be hard to get good video of it. But, I'm kind of interested to see it as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom