News Hereā€™s how Disney lost Shonda Rhimes to Netflix over a Disneyland pass

truecoat

I'll own it. I love the show. Might start again from season 1, episode 1 if Biden wins. ;)

Then you can watch where one doctor found out her husband was cheating with a resident, took that resident as her own and also hung her underwear on a hospital bulletin board. Typical hospital stuff.

That resident dr once treated a guy on death row and then attended his execution.

drizgirl

Then you can watch where one doctor found out her husband was cheating with a resident, took that resident as her own and also hung her underwear on a hospital bulletin board. Typical hospital stuff.

That resident dr once treated a guy on death row and then attended his execution.
Go ahead and own it. You're a fan, right?

TP2000

Were those really the plotlines of this TV show? And this is what Ms. Rhimes produced? And for that she got a Main Gate Pass for her nanny?

If so, I'm reminded why I stopped watching network TV shows around 2010.

Do people really still tune in to ABC, NBC, etc. on a weeknight to watch this stuff? When there's vastly superior stuff like Schitt's Creek, Downton Abbey, a hundred brilliant YouTubers, etc., etc. available via streaming at any time?

Practical Pig

Were those really the plotlines of this TV show? And this is what Ms. Rhimes produced? And for that she got a Main Gate Pass for her nanny?

Do people really still tune in to ABC, NBC, etc. on a weeknight to watch this stuff? When there's vastly superior stuff like Schitt's Creek, Downton Abbey, a hundred brilliant YouTubers, etc., etc. available via streaming at any time?

I'm a drop-out from network TV as well. With full respect to those who enjoy that content, my own subjective view turned away from it long ago.

And wasn't Schitt's Creek an absolute breath of fresh air once it found its legs? I've been thanked by a number of friends for convincing them to keep watching past season one.

Moira Rose is an instant icon. :cool:

TP2000

I'm a drop-out from network TV as well. With full respect to those who enjoy that content, my own subjective view turned away from it long ago.

And wasn't Schitt's Creek an absolute breath of fresh air once it found its legs? I've been thanked by a number of friends for convincing them to keep watching past season one.

Moira Rose is an instant icon. :cool:

To be honest, anything Catherine O'Hara has done since about 1980 has been extremely entertaining.

It's not really Christmas at my house until about the second week of December when I play the "Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special" while enjoying a winter-themed cocktail. Every. Damn. Year.

But yes, Moira Rose is one of those characters that Ms. O'Hara creates that just goes... into orbit. She's brilliant. They were all brilliant in that show. David, Alexis (Little Bit Alexis!), Stevie, Jocelyn, etc., etc.

truecoat

Real plotlines and I'm not even past season 3.

Eventually they are all in a plane crash, some survive and for some reason get a settlement that let's them buy this hospital. Yes, they buy the hospital with some magical astronomical settlement from a chartered plane. Not a major carrier, a chartered plane.

TP2000

Real plotlines and I'm not even past season 3.

Eventually they are all in a plane crash, some survive and for some reason get a settlement that let's them buy this hospital. Yes, they buy the hospital with some magical astronomical settlement from a chartered plane. Not a major carrier, a chartered plane.

Well, I thank you for sorting through all of it for us, and reminding some of us why we no longer watch network TV.

These plotlines sound like a bad take-off of a 1980's soap opera. Luke & Laura, redux.

And this Shonda Rhimes woman was thought to be some sort of unreplaceable talent worthy of giving her nanny a benefits package from the Walt Disney Company?

truecoat

Well, I thank you for sorting through all of it for us, and reminding some of us why we no longer watch network TV.

These plotlines sound like a bad take-off of a 1980's soap opera. Luke & Laura, redux.

A black light in the worst motel couldn't compare to what this hospital must look like. They are going at it everywhere in this place without any regard to it being a work environment.

TP2000

A black light in the worst motel couldn't compare to what this hospital must look like. They are going at it everywhere in this place without any regard to it being a work environment.

Oh, are you a fan of Dan Bell too? I love his stuff! Although I don't love what he finds under the black light.

Practical Pig

It's not really Christmas at my house until about the second week of December when I play the "Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special" while enjoying a winter-themed cocktail. Every. Damn. Year.

But yes, Moira Rose is one of those characters that Ms. O'Hara creates that just goes... into orbit. She's brilliant. They were all brilliant in that show. David, Alexis (Little Bit Alexis!), Stevie, Jocelyn, etc., etc.

OMG thank you for that Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special. It's vintage O'hara goodness, and new to me, so I'll take it as an early Christmas present. I'll watch it this December and raise a glass.

Stevie performing Maybe This Time in the Cabaret episode may be my favorite moment in television in years.

TP2000

OMG thank you for that Dusty Towne Sexy Holiday Special. It's vintage O'hara goodness, and new to me, so I'll take it as an early Christmas present. I'll watch it this December and raise a glass.

Stevie performing Maybe This Time in the Cabaret episode may be my favorite moment in television in years.

Here's the backstory on Dusty Towne. Catherine O'Hara created the character around 1980 based on a real mid-1960's comedienne named Rusty Warren. Miss Warren had a very risque' nightclub act, in an era when women weren't really supposed to be risque'. But it worked, and Rusty Warren had modest success on the 1960's nightclub circuit and released a couple of LP albums based on her bawdy nightclub material.

R-669529-1291681462.jpeg.jpg

Catherine O'Hara, being the brilliant woman she is, morphed that Rusty Warren concept into this early 80's homage to her predecessor from the mid 1960's. Thus the towering beehive hairdo and the sexual innuendos. And then for whatever reason, O'Hara also turned it into this ridiculous Christmas act for an SCTV episode around 1982. The result? Hysterics! And I can't think of a better way to ring in the Christmas season than this.

I play this SCTV classic every year, while I decorate the Christmas tree. Or while I think about how I would decorate a Christmas tree if I was motivated enough to do that. Usually I just hang a wreath on the front door and put a few vintage nutcrackers on the hearth in the living room. But there's always Dusty Towne, and a cocktail, involved. ;)

Last edited:

truecoat

Here's the backstory on Dusty Towne. Catherine O'Hara created the character around 1980 based on a real mid-1960's comedienne named Rusty Warren. Miss Warren had a very risque' nightclub act, in an era when women weren't really supposed to be risque'. But it worked, and Rusty Warren had modest success on the 1960's nightclub circuit and released a couple of LP albums based on her bawdy nightclub material.

R-669529-1291681462.jpeg.jpg

Catherine O'Hara, being the brilliant woman she is, morphed that Rusty Warren concept into this early 80's homage to her predecessor from the mid 1960's. Thus the towering beehive hairdo and the sexual innuendos. And then for whatever reason, O'Hara also turned it into this ridiculous Christmas act for an SCTV episode around 1982. The result? Hysterics! And I can't think of a better way to ring in the Christmas season than this.

I play this SCTV classic every year, while I decorate the Christmas tree. Or while I think about how I would decorate a Christmas tree if I was motivated enough to do that. Usually I just hang a wreath on the front door and put a few vintage nutcrackers on the hearth in the living room. But there's always Dusty Towne, and a cocktail, involved. ;)

Katherine O'Hara doing the Brooke Shields show on SCTV was comedy gold.

TP2000

Katherine O'Hara doing the Brooke Shields show on SCTV was comedy gold.

Yes!

Margaret Meehan from Parkdale High consistently buzzing in before she even knows the question on the teen game show Hi-Q was also wonderful.

Much of SCTV was brilliant. And definitely superior to Saturday Night Live of that same era. Sometimes Canadians kick our butts at stuff.

truecoat

And this Shonda Rhimes woman was thought to be some sort of unreplaceable talent worthy of giving her nanny a benefits package from the Walt Disney Company?

So Grey's Anatomy had a spin off with the dr that hung undies on the bulletin board, Private Practice. Here 5 or 6 doctors treated very few patients, just a couple with special problems every week. Somehow they made money from this.

truecoat

So Grey's Anatomy had a spin off with the dr that hung undies on the bulletin board, Private Practice. Here 5 or 6 doctors treated very few patients, just a couple with special problems every week. Somehow they made money from this.

Meanwhile back at the worst hospital in the world, one doctor got distracted during a kidney transplant and got fired then rehired. One doctor nicked an artery on purpose so another could learn how to fix it and the coup de grace, a Dr. set a rapist on fire who ran into a gas tank and blew up the hospital. It's too bad he didn't succeed in bringing it down.

TP2000

Seriously, you've got to stop, or I will never try and watch network TV ever again.

So basically what we've learned here from multiple sources is that Ms. Rhimes scammed her employee benefits package from the Walt Disney Company, plays the Diva card often, and created some of the most insipid network TV of the early 21st century.

With apologies to any of my friends here who liked Grey's Anatomy, of course. I was a huge fan of The Love Boat and Fantasy Island, so I shouldn't talk. šŸ§

LastoneOn

Moira Rose. Unflappable.
Everything has a silver lining even if it hasn't been sewn in yet.

Wonderful show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom