News Here’s how Disney lost Shonda Rhimes to Netflix over a Disneyland pass

Sailor310

Original Poster
It's not just us APs on this site who feel badly treated by Disney. Shonda Rhimes has made $2B for Disney and can't get an extra free ticket. From Market Watch:;)

In the end, it was a Disneyland pass that cost Walt Disney Co. its biggest TV hit-maker, Shonda Rhimes.

In an interview published Wednesday by the Hollywood Reporter, Rhimes described the circumstances that led to her stunning defection to Netflix Inc. NFLX, -0.78% in 2017.

Rhimes — the creator and executive producer of smash ABC hits such as “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away With Murder” — described a tense relationship with ABC owner Disney DIS, +0.73%, with constant push and pull over budgets, content and advertising, and was already feeling creatively restless three years into her latest contract. But she was making tens of millions of dollars, and her shows generated an estimated $2 billion for Disney over a decade and a half.
She told the Hollywood Reporter that the breaking point turned out to be a family trip to Disneyland that she wasn’t even part of. Among her compensation package, she had been given an all-inclusive pass to Disneyland, and a second pass for her nanny, so she could bring Rhimes’ three children to the theme park. One day Rhimes’ sister wanted to join Rhimes’ nanny and the children on a trip to Disneyland. The passes were not interchangable, so Rhimes had to call Disney to obtain a new pass for her sister — which she did, after some purported gripes from Disney. But when the group got to the park, only one of the passes worked. When Rhimes called a Disney executive to sort out the matter, she was reportedly told “Don’t you have enough?”
According to the report, Rhimes said she thanked him for his time, hung up, called her attorney, and told him to figure out a way to get her out of her ABC contract so she could move to Netflix, or she’d find new representation.

In August 2017, she joined Netflix in a multiyear, nine-figure deal that opened the floodgates for prominent Hollywood showrunners to flock to the streaming service. In the following months, Ryan Murphy, Carlton Cuse, Damien Chazelle and Kenya Barris, among others, would follow her lead, bolstering Netflix’s content creation for years to come.
Her courtship with Netflix reportedly began months before, when she met clandestinely with then-Netflix content chief (now co-CEO) Ted Sarandos, telling him: “I just want to be in a place where I can make stuff and no one’s going to bother me or make me feel like I’m beholden.”
The first of Rhimes’ shows are set to debut on Netflix in the coming months.

Stevek

It's not just us APs on this site who feel badly treated by Disney. Shonda Rhimes has made $2B for Disney and can't get an extra free ticket. From Market Watch:;)

In the end, it was a Disneyland pass that cost Walt Disney Co. its biggest TV hit-maker, Shonda Rhimes.

In an interview published Wednesday by the Hollywood Reporter, Rhimes described the circumstances that led to her stunning defection to Netflix Inc. NFLX, -0.78% in 2017.

Rhimes — the creator and executive producer of smash ABC hits such as “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away With Murder” — described a tense relationship with ABC owner Disney DIS, +0.73%, with constant push and pull over budgets, content and advertising, and was already feeling creatively restless three years into her latest contract. But she was making tens of millions of dollars, and her shows generated an estimated $2 billion for Disney over a decade and a half.
She told the Hollywood Reporter that the breaking point turned out to be a family trip to Disneyland that she wasn’t even part of. Among her compensation package, she had been given an all-inclusive pass to Disneyland, and a second pass for her nanny, so she could bring Rhimes’ three children to the theme park. One day Rhimes’ sister wanted to join Rhimes’ nanny and the children on a trip to Disneyland. The passes were not interchangable, so Rhimes had to call Disney to obtain a new pass for her sister — which she did, after some purported gripes from Disney. But when the group got to the park, only one of the passes worked. When Rhimes called a Disney executive to sort out the matter, she was reportedly told “Don’t you have enough?”
According to the report, Rhimes said she thanked him for his time, hung up, called her attorney, and told him to figure out a way to get her out of her ABC contract so she could move to Netflix, or she’d find new representation.

In August 2017, she joined Netflix in a multiyear, nine-figure deal that opened the floodgates for prominent Hollywood showrunners to flock to the streaming service. In the following months, Ryan Murphy, Carlton Cuse, Damien Chazelle and Kenya Barris, among others, would follow her lead, bolstering Netflix’s content creation for years to come.
Her courtship with Netflix reportedly began months before, when she met clandestinely with then-Netflix content chief (now co-CEO) Ted Sarandos, telling him: “I just want to be in a place where I can make stuff and no one’s going to bother me or make me feel like I’m beholden.”
The first of Rhimes’ shows are set to debut on Netflix in the coming months.
Well...Disney could have very easily accommodated her BUT she is being the typical hollywood princess that feels she's entitled to whatever she wants. She could have probably paid for a small army to go to Disneyland without denting her bank account.

"Rhimes said she thanked him for his time, hung up, called her attorney, and told him to figure out a way to get her out of her ABC contract so she could move to Netflix, or she’d find new representation."

If this doesn't tell you everything you need to know about her, I don't know what will.

Communicora

Premium Member
This story makes all involved look petty.

She made a lot of money for Disney and it seems like they could toss a few maingates and a VIP tour guide her way. It rather reminds me of the Steph Curry situation with Nike.

And, I can see why it would make her feel less valued but she could easily afford the tickets. The general public isn't going to feel bad for her about it.

Last edited:

cmwade77

Well...Disney could have very easily accommodated her BUT she is being the typical hollywood princess that feels she's entitled to whatever she wants. She could have probably paid for a small army to go to Disneyland without denting her bank account.

"Rhimes said she thanked him for his time, hung up, called her attorney, and told him to figure out a way to get her out of her ABC contract so she could move to Netflix, or she’d find new representation."

If this doesn't tell you everything you need to know about her, I don't know what will.
It depends on what her contract stated, if her contract said was entitled to said tickets, then Disney would be at fault, if it didn't, then it is on her.

TP2000

This story makes all involved look petty.

She made a lot of money for Disney and it seems like they could toss a few maingates and a VIP tour guide her way. It rather reminds me of the Steph Curry situation with Nike.

And, I can see why it would make her feel less valued but she could easily afford the tickets. The general public isn't going to feel bad for her about it.

From her own words, she wasn't even at Disneyland. It was her nanny and her kids, and then at the last second her sister showed up and wanted to get into the park for free too. And they probably all had an attitude like "I'm So-And-So's sister! Don't you know who I am? I deserve a free ticket! Let me talk to your manager while I call corporate on you!"

Blech. 🤢 Typical Hollywood attitude and give-me outlook. And she wasn't even there! It was her nobody nanny and her nobody sister demanding free entry into an amusement park.

Good riddance to her, and everyone who thinks like her. :rolleyes:

Never heard of them.

Me either. I had to Google her name, but at first I thought maybe she was related to that LeeAnn Rhimes girl that sings the country western songs? Nope. She's a TV producer. She has zero face recognition; if I saw her in the Glade Candle aisle at Target I wouldn't know or care. But she wants extra free stuff for her sister.

I like watching content on Netflix but I really wish Disney would have just let her family in.

I dunno... I read her little sob story. She wanted extra free stuff for her sister who crashed a free trip to Disneyland for her nanny and kids. If sis wants to go to Disneyland, let sis buy a ticket, because I guarantee you sis is not mentioned on her employment contract with Disney.

Why can't her sister also have a free dental exam and cleaning on Shonda's medical insurance from Disney? Shonda makes a lot of money for Disney! They owe her. And her sister. 🧐

Last edited:

truecoat

From her own words, she wasn't even at Disneyland. It was her nanny and her kids, and then at the last second her sister showed up and wanted to get into the park for free too. And they probably all had an attitude like "I'm So-And-So's sister! Don't you know who I am? I deserve a free ticket! Let me talk to your manager while I call corporate on you!"

Blech. 🤢 Typical Hollywood attitude and give-me outlook. And she wasn't even there! It was her nobody nanny and her nobody sister demanding free entry into the theme park.

Me either. I had to Google her name, but at first I thought maybe she was related to that LeeAnn Rhimes girl that sings the country western songs? Nope. She's a TV producer. She has zero face recognition; if I saw her in the Glade Candle aisle at Target I wouldn't know or care. But she wants extra free stuff for her sister.

I dunno... I read her little sob story. She wanted extra free stuff for her sister who crashed a free trip to Disneyland for her nanny and kids. If sis wants to go to Disneyland, let sis buy a ticket, because I guarantee you sis is not mentioned on her employment contract with Disney.

Why can't her sister also have a free dental exam and cleaning on Shonda's medical insurance from Disney? Shonda makes a lot of money for Disney! They owe her. And her sister. 🧐

What I really meant was that my wife watches Greys Anatomy and I've seen a few episodes. I'd like her to continue to put content on ABC not Netflix. So Disney made the wrong choice in my opinion because now Netflix will be clogged up with her horrible shows.

TP2000

What I really meant was that my wife watches Greys Anatomy and I've seen a few episodes. I'd like her to continue to put content on ABC not Netflix. So Disney made the wrong choice in my opinion because now Netflix will be clogged up with her horrible shows.

That's hysterical!

I can only imagine how miserable it must be to be around this Rhimes woman most days. And God help you if you are simply the manager of the Disneyland ticket booths trying to figure out who her sister is and why her sister doesn't have to pay for a ticket into the park.

Good riddance to this type of Hollywood trash. I hope I do see her in the Glade Candle aisle at Target now; I'm going to hog smelling all the good ones for several long minutes and only let her near the gross melon scented ones.

I can be cutthroat at Target if I don't like your tone. Don't push me. :cool:

_caleb

@TP2000, you've never watched Scandal? How To Get Away With Murder?

Anyway, to me it sounds like one of those things where some schmoozy Disney exec made an offhand comment to her, like: "Oh, Shonda, we should definitely get lunch next time you'e in town! Oh, and if you ever want to bring your family out to the park sometime, just let us know!" And Shonda tried to take them up on the offer by sending her kids with her nanny, but Disney Security was like, "I don't care who you are, you've got to buy a ticket!"

Shonda has moved to Netflix, where she will be given a lot more creative freedom (read: be able to feature nudity in her shows). I'm sure it'll be great.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Blech. 🤢 Typical Hollywood attitude and give-me outlook. And she wasn't even there! It was her nobody nanny and her nobody sister demanding free entry into an amusement park.

100% AGREE. Disney did not do anything wrong here.

TP2000

@TP2000, you've never watched Scandal? How To Get Away With Murder?

Anyway, to me it sounds like one of those things where some schmoozy Disney exec made an offhand comment to her, like: "Oh, Shonda, we should definitely get lunch next time you'e in town! Oh, and if you ever want to bring your family out to the park sometime, just let us know!" And Shonda tried to take them up on the offer by sending her kids with her nanny, but Disney Security was like, "I don't care who you are, you've got to buy a ticket!"

Shonda has moved to Netflix, where she will be given a lot more creative freedom (read: be able to feature nudity in her shows). I'm sure it'll be great.

Nope, never heard of those shows. But I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of the latest thing, so I wouldn't try to use me as a cultural touchstone to anything beyond good cocktails and classic Motown. :)

She even admits herself that Disney did set her nanny and her kids up with free tickets to the park, even though she wasn't going to be there. But then her sister showed up unannounced the same day and became incensed that there wasn't a free ticket waiting for her too. I'm Shonda Rhimes sister! I shouldn't have to pay for a ticket! :rolleyes:

Calls were made, Hollywood attitude was thrown around by the bucketful, Dockers-wearing theme park managers tried to figure out what to do, and three years later she uses it publicly to claim how happy she is to be working for Netflix instead.

Icky and gross, like almost everyone in Hollywood today. They just have no class.

I wonder how her sister now gets free Disneyland tickets from Netflix? o_O

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Nope, never heard of those shows. But I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of the latest thing, so I wouldn't try to use me as a cultural touchstone to anything beyond good cocktails and classic Motown. :)

She even admits herself that Disney did set her nanny and her kids up with free tickets to the park, even though she wasn't going to be there. But then her sister showed up unannounced the same day and became incensed that there wasn't a free ticket waiting for her too. I'm Shonda Rhimes sister! I shouldn't have to pay for a ticket! :rolleyes:

Calls were made, Hollywood attitude was thrown around by the bucketful, Dockers-wearing theme park managers tried to figure out what to do, and three years later she uses it publicly to claim how happy she is to be working for Netflix instead. Icky and gross, like almost everyone in Hollywood today. They just have no class.

I wonder how her sister now gets free Disneyland tickets from Netflix? o_O
the real irony now is if she now wants to go she has to pay for all the tickets

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom