HELP!! :(

Adrian0214

Hi everyone! So, after planning our Disney trip for 9 months and finally getting to take a trip to Disney with the parents....bad news stikes!! Got news today that my dad took a fall and has fractured his hip. The extent of surgery, therapy, etc. will be reviewed tomorrow with the DR. Sadly, not only would this be his first trip to Disney, its the first Disney trip with his grand daughter. With that being said, we have already purchased out MNSSHP tickets, booked flights, made dining reservations, paid for our rental home and JUST BOUGHT OUR PARK TICKETS LAST NIGHT!! Any suggestions?? Im pretty sure the tickets are non refundable. Iam still coming with my husband and daughter, but now have to worry about booking a hotel ( since we will have no car in Orlando), etc. :(

bethymouse

Hi everyone! So, after planning our Disney trip for 9 months and finally getting to take a trip to Disney with the parents....bad news stikes!! Got news today that my dad took a fall and has fractured his hip. The extent of surgery, therapy, etc. will be reviewed tomorrow with the DR. Sadly, not only would this be his first trip to Disney, its the first Disney trip with his grand daughter. With that being said, we have already purchased out MNSSHP tickets, booked flights, made dining reservations, paid for our rental home and JUST BOUGHT OUR PARK TICKETS LAST NIGHT!! Any suggestions?? Im pretty sure the tickets are non refundable. Iam still coming with my husband and daughter, but now have to worry about booking a hotel ( since we will have no car in Orlando), etc. :(
Oh dear. So sorry.:(
Are you able to get any refunds if you cancel and re book? Unfortunately, I know flights charge an arm and a leg to change tickets and such.:mad:

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you booked through Southwest for airline, tickets can be cancelled for a refund or credit depending on the ticket purchased. If you booked through pretty much any other airline, change fees will eat up a bunch of the face value.

Dining ressies can be changed or cancelled. If you are going to keep the ressie, just show up with your group that is still going and not worry about the others that did not. There should be no issue with that, unless you reserved a place that requires a deposit. Check with them direct for how to handle.

The rental house, probably not much can be done.

The MNSSHP tickets I would check with guest services, tell them the story and see what they say. Maybe they would give you "store credit" vs a refund, and at minimum you could use those funds in the parks.

Sad news indeed I hope your father makes a full recovery.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
Oh dear. So sorry.:(
Are you able to get any refunds if you cancel and re book? Unfortunately, I know flights charge an arm and a leg to change tickets and such.:mad:
Thank you very much!! I called WDW and of course, their ticket services were closed until tomorrow morning. The lady I spoke with was very helpful though. She said that chances are the tickets will be non-refundable, but they never expire. ( Guess we could plan a trip for next year). Luckily, we used Southwest Rapid Rewards, so that is the least of my worries. Still...makes me sad :(

Upvote 0

OswaldTheRabbit

Oh no that is terrible!

I am not sure about the party tickets but if you do not use your park tickets they can be traded in at a later date. The key is you can't use the ticket at all (doesn't work for days left just unused tickets).

That is terrible news :(. So sorry.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
If you booked through Southwest for airline, tickets can be cancelled for a refund or credit depending on the ticket purchased. If you booked through pretty much any other airline, change fees will eat up a bunch of the face value.

Dining ressies can be changed or cancelled. If you are going to keep the ressie, just show up with your group that is still going and not worry about the others that did not. There should be no issue with that, unless you reserved a place that requires a deposit. Check with them direct for how to handle.

The rental house, probably not much can be done.

The MNSSHP tickets I would check with guest services, tell them the story and see what they say. Maybe they would give you "store credit" vs a refund, and at minimum you could use those funds in the parks.

Sad news indeed I hope your father makes a full recovery.

Thank you very much for your sweet words and great help!! We have reservations at Royal Table. I should be able to get a refund for their reservations, right? Just found out that I missed the rental house refund by ONE DAY!!! AHH....my luck, suppose?! I did email the company anyway, just in case :) Iam going to call Guest services in the morning regarding the MNSSHP tickest.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
Oh no that is terrible!

I am not sure about the party tickets but if you do not use your park tickets they can be traded in at a later date. The key is you can't use the ticket at all (doesn't work for days left just unused tickets).

That is terrible news :(. So sorry.

Thank you for the kind words. Quick question...I booked all of our tickets at the same time, on the same credit card, delivered to the same address. If my house hold decides to go anyway, but my dad and mom cant go..Will that mess anything up?? For instance, if i go...Will that make their ticket expiration all messed up?! ( since they were all paid together?!)

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The Royal Table may be tricky. If they have an available table size for your reduced party they may give you a refund for the number not showing. I think they have to rebook the reservation for the new number in the party. If they dont have a space for your new party size I think you may have an option of keeping it with the current deposits or canceling.

I totally understand where you are at. Had a similar experience with my mom. Was going to be her first trip with her grandkids to WDW. She got ill and never got to the point she was healthy enough to go again before passing. Since then I have made sure that all grandparents have had the opportunity to go with us on vacations, which I am happy to say they have.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
The Royal Table may be tricky. If they have an available table size for your reduced party they may give you a refund for the number not showing. I think they have to rebook the reservation for the new number in the party. If they dont have a space for your new party size I think you may have an option of keeping it with the current deposits or canceling.

I totally understand where you are at. Had a similar experience with my mom. Was going to be her first trip with her grandkids to WDW. She got ill and never got to the point she was healthy enough to go again before passing. Since then I have made sure that all grandparents have had the opportunity to go with us on vacations, which I am happy to say they have.
Ok, got what you mean. I will give them a call and hope for the best. Iam really hoping that he is able to attend, but I honestly do not see that happening. Never heard of anyone being able to travel one month after a total hip replacement or even any hip surgery. :(
I hate to hear that about your mom..Im very sorry. It is a hard thing.

Upvote 0

OswaldTheRabbit

Thank you for the kind words. Quick question...I booked all of our tickets at the same time, on the same credit card, delivered to the same address. If my house hold decides to go anyway, but my dad and mom cant go..Will that mess anything up?? For instance, if i go...Will that make their ticket expiration all messed up?! ( since they were all paid together?!)
Your tickets should be 1 for each person (ex. A 5 day pass for you, one for him etc). The inactivated ticket should can be saved. Where did you buy them from? It should only have an expiry one it is used in a turnstile (14 days from first use unless you bought a "non expiring" ticket).

Upvote 0

OswaldTheRabbit

Ok, got what you mean. I will give them a call and hope for the best. Iam really hoping that he is able to attend, but I honestly do not see that happening. Never heard of anyone being able to travel one month after a total hip replacement or even any hip surgery. :(
I hate to hear that about your mom..Im very sorry. It is a hard thing.
I think that would be next to impossible to be honest. If he is flying (which I think was implied from your first post) he will have flight restrictions because of clotting issues associated with hip surgery. It is normally long (say 3 months) until he can fly. I unfortunately think there is very little chance he will be able to go. I am sorry :(

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
I think that would be next to impossible to be honest. If he is flying (which I think was implied from your first post) he will have flight restrictions because of clotting issues associated with hip surgery. It is normally long (say 3 months) until he can fly. I unfortunately think there is very little chance he will be able to go. I am sorry :(
I know :( Makes me sad...He has even offered to drive, which I dont think will help much either. Thanks for the info in the ticket. It makes sense to me now. I bought the tickets directly from WDW. Thank you for being so helpful!!

Upvote 0

OswaldTheRabbit

I know :( Makes me sad...He has even offered to drive, which I dont think will help much either. Thanks for the info in the ticket. It makes sense to me now. I bought the tickets directly from WDW. Thank you for being so helpful!!
Oh for sure then just save his tickets and he can use them when he feels better. Maybe he can use them as an incentive for him to get better!

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

My grandmother (92 years old) fractured her hip last year. They did the surgery right away and had her walking around the hospital the next morning. With her physical therapy, she was back to walking better than before the accident. Maybe wait and see what is said about your dad's recovery. Talk to his doctors and learn what you can about his situation. You might be able to take your trip, with a few modifications. I hope your dad has a speedy recovery.

Upvote 0

Donfan

If he is at all ambulatory after the surgery and decides to make the trip, don't be afraid to rent a wheelchair for him at the parks. The biggest problem at the parks is getting around outside the rides. There may be a few rides that he won't be able to do, but a lot of the attractions allow wheelchair seating. He can still enjoy the atmosphere, entertainment, etc, even if he can't climb in and out of some of the ride vehicles.

Upvote 0

Adrian0214

Original Poster
Update.....fracture has began to fuse together and is healing properly. No surgery is needed at this time. Will be on a few weeks of "bed rest", but his doctors informed him not to cancel his Disney trip. He will not be able to ride any "excessive jerking" rides, but still gets to go. :). Thanks for all the sweet comments!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Update.....fracture has began to fuse together and is healing properly. No surgery is needed at this time. Will be on a few weeks of "bed rest", but his doctors informed him not to cancel his Disney trip. He will not be able to ride any "excessive jerking" rides, but still gets to go. :). Thanks for all the sweet comments!
yay! good news!:joyfull:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom