Help With Making A Career Out of WDW

Horizons1

Original Poster
Hi. First of all I know this post should be in the Employment forum but I already posted there and it doesn't seem to get much traffic. So forgive me ahead of time for posting in General Discussion. Flame me, ignore me, whatever. I'm just a guy trying to find his way with people that may be able to help.

I love WDW and I love theme parks. My family's had APs since they became available shortly after EPCOT opened. I've been going to WDW since I was born in 1988. I've seen it grow and change. I graduated from college a year ago with a bachelors and I would love to make a career out of working at WDW and work my way up to the top. And when I say the top I mean the very top where TDO are. I wanna bring back a lot of the innovation and passion for making a superb product that one could once find at WDW. I love it too much to see it run down.

I've worked at WDW before in a Professional Internship in the summer of 2011. I was in the horticulture program. It was a wonderful experience and I loved it. It was a dream come true to get to work in the Magic Kingdom region: to walk around IN the jungles of the Jungle Cruise (and on the temple roof!), to be on Main Street at 4AM when hardly anyone else was there, to stand in front of Main Street Station before the park opened and looking out to see guests lining up waiting to come in.

I completed program with high accolades and won quite a few awards. I asked if there was anyway I could stay employed within the department but I was told that they had nothing available. I've kept in touch with my manager and internship coordinator from when I worked there two years ago in hopes they could help me return. I left to finish my senior year in college; I've graduated college and found a job that's nothing more than a job. I want to go work for Disney again, like I said. But I don't know where to begin. I had hoped my manager would be able to help me find some form of employment there when I graduated from college, but that is not the case.

I'm starting to look for a new job now because I'm very unhappy in my current one. I've come to realize that it's probably now or never for Disney. The positions I'm finding online I'm either not qualified for, even with a bachelors, or they're underpaid. I understand everyone has to start from the bottom but at the same time I DO have bills to pay that those jobs would not be able to provide the income I need.

I tried to get into the theme park management PI before I graduated college but I screwed up and missed out on it. My question is, what do I do? I want to get back to Disney. I want to work my way up to run WDW. But is that even possible? Any help will be really appreciated. I need all the help I can get with this right now.

Last edited:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If the jobs you're finding on-line are "underpaid" for you, starting out at Disney will likely be worse. Disney is notorious for low salaries because they know the "cache" of having them on a resume appeals to a lot of young professionals.

If you have bills to pay, Disney won't put you in a position to pay them initially or potentially ever depending on how well you progress in the organization.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
It sounds like you are going to have to either take a job that doesn't pay enough or try and work your way into TWDC via another route. If I were you, I would decide on a specific career that you are qualified for (or can become qualified for) and that Disney utilizes, but focus on getting hired in that particular field at another company. Then, spend all your effort in becoming one of the best in your particular field before going back to Disney with your enhanced resume.

As others have said, Disney is notorious for underpaying even professional positions compared to other companies, so I would use your time early in your career to make yourself more attractive to them. Other than that, your only option is to try and get hired on at a lower position and work your way up.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
As others have said you might need to start at the bottom to work your way up. Try contacting your boss or manager that you worked with again they might be able to give you more information if you are truly passionate about pursuing this.

Darth Tater

The positions I'm finding online I'm either not qualified for, even with a bachelors, or they're underpaid. I understand everyone has to start from the bottom but at the same time I DO have bills to pay that those jobs would not be able to provide the income I need.
Then Disney is not where you need to seek employment. As others have said, the company does not pay well. Each & every day, numerous dreamers flock to Central Fla with stars in their eyes seeking an ideal job working in a place of magic. Truth be told, it's just not that simple. Disney knows how everyone & their brother drools at the thought of working for the company, and thusly, pay does not have to be very competetive when starry-eyed hopefuls are knocking down the door daily salivating to work there. Factor in the HIGH cost of living in the Central Fla area, and you will see why a WDW job is simply not practical for a good majority. Not trying to put a halt on your dreams. I truly hope something works out for you, and you are able to achieve your dream of working for Disney. But just know the truths that come with the magic.

Sped2424

My career is also streamlined for Disney but I have accepted the fact that there is going to be some hard years in the beginning, that being said if its your dream I would go for it and possibly do what andy said with something on the side!

stevem85

I am going through a similar situation myself only on the west coast. I am unemployed through no fault of my own. I LOVE Disneyland and would love to work there. But, the pay is not very much. I can live on it, but just barley. It is a hard decision, and I know exactly what your going through. My advice is to go with your love and passion. If this is what makes you happy then do it. I would rather be in a happy work environment than a lousy one. With a lot of hard work and commitment you will shine and work your way up to the top. Just always be positive, and good things will happen to you Good Luck!

wogwog

A Disney career is not a good idea unless you have a unique skill that Disney needs. Any job you get at WDW will pay much less than a comparable job at nearly any other company. WDW is for CP, ICP, local part timers, and retired folks looking to stay busy. It is a terrible place to try to make enough to raise a family, by a house, or have a nice car.

To the credit of Disney they do offer better benefits to full time workers than average in todays economy.

MarkTwain

Have been working with frustration at the same thing for over a year now, but with Imagineering. After making some (small) progress I've started to realize it's almost entirely about who you know and being at the right place at the right time. I realize this is the case with any company but with Disney (or at least with WDI), it seems that most of the more conventional routes up the ladder are inaccessible unless you have someone guiding you up. Unfortunately it seems in hindsight that the CPs/PIs aren't worth nearly as much to Disney as most are led to believe, if the plan is simply to type your Disney experience on a resume and send it in. My advice is to continue searching around for as many people to network with as possible. Best of luck to you!

The Empress Lilly

Have been working with frustration at the same thing for over a year now, but with Imagineering. After making some (small) progress I've started to realize it's almost entirely about who you know and being at the right place at the right time.
Having been working with frustration at the same thing for over twenty years now, but at Real Life, all I can say is that you are quite correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom