Help! WDW want to change our resort

correcaminos

As I recall, when it opened and prior to any DVCs, Old Key West was termed a Moderate Resort? I do remember when Caribbean Beach Resort first opened it was called a Value resort (before Pop and all Stars) so some resort rankings have changed over the years.
I think you are mistaken on OKW. It was called "Disney's Vacation Club Resort" from when it opened in '91 until they renamed in in '96. It wasn't opened as anything other than the timeshare so it was never termed a 'moderate' in any history I've heard/seen. Here is a great history of DVC. We own at OKW and love knowing the history of it.
https://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/history-of-dvc/the-year-1991/

We were at CBR about a year after it opened. I don't recall the term "value" until they actually opened what is the value resort. I remember CBR being described as moderately priced. It was $99 IIRC for our stay there. I don't remember a real label on it until other moderate and values opened.

Polydweller

I think you are mistaken on OKW. It was called "Disney's Vacation Club Resort" from when it opened in '91 until they renamed in in '96. It wasn't opened as anything other than the timeshare so it was never termed a 'moderate' in any history I've heard/seen. Here is a great history of DVC. We own at OKW and love knowing the history of it.

We were at CBR about a year after it opened. I don't recall the term "value" until they actually opened what is the value resort. I remember CBR being described as moderately priced. It was $99 IIRC for our stay there. I don't remember a real label on it until other moderate and values opened.
Yep, you are correct. It opened in 1991 as the first DVC could be called Disney's Vacation Club because it was the only one until 1995.

The Mom

Premium Member

I stand corrected - I was thinking of Dixie Landing - now Port Orleans Riverside. The designation for Carribbean may have varied per regional advertisement/travel review - locally it was written up as a "value", but not Value, as that official designation didn't exist yet. I stayed there a couple of weeks after it opened (still very much under construction, but the pool area was open; I don't remember eating there, so the dining may not have been up and running, or was minimal - but the pool bar was open) and actually suggested it to a few friends as a way to finally stay on property without paying deluxe rates.

BoarderPhreak

Heck, I still miss the ol' townhouses that were part of The Disney Institute back in the late 90s. Some of that property got re-purposed, and we all know what became of the forlorn Treehouse Villas.

...In 2000, Disney changed the focus of the Institute from a family-oriented program, to a multi-day seminar for business professionals to learn the "secrets" behind Disney's customer service and business culture. However, this concept didn't last, and the resort was closed down in 2003 to make way for the Disney Vacation Club resort, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. Most of the Villas were torn down, except for the Treehouse Villas, which were renovated and reopened. The former Institute program studios and spa building were renovated as the clubhouse of the Saratoga Springs Resort.

tigger731

As I recall, when it opened and prior to any DVCs, Old Key West was termed a Moderate Resort? I do remember when Caribbean Beach Resort first opened it was called a Value resort (before Pop and all Stars) so some resort rankings have changed over the years.

When OKW first opened it was known as "the Disney Vacation Club Resort"

correcaminos

I stand corrected - I was thinking of Dixie Landing - now Port Orleans Riverside. The designation for Carribbean may have varied per regional advertisement/travel review - locally it was written up as a "value", but not Value, as that official designation didn't exist yet. I stayed there a couple of weeks after it opened (still very much under construction, but the pool area was open; I don't remember eating there, so the dining may not have been up and running, or was minimal - but the pool bar was open) and actually suggested it to a few friends as a way to finally stay on property without paying deluxe rates.

Very likely since those resorts are close together physically. I still sometimes call Port Orleans Riverside by it's original name too! By the time I stayed at CBR it had been fully opened at least. I remember eating in the food court. I wasn't in love with the resort but loved the prices LOL Became a huge fan of the moderates for many years!

Heck, I still miss the ol' townhouses that were part of The Disney Institute back in the late 90s. Some of that property got re-purposed, and we all know what became of the forlorn Treehouse Villas.
That was our second trip to Disney - they were awesome!

Megbutnotmegan

We stayed at the Disney Institute when I was a kid! The townhouses were amazing! We loved driving through the treehouses and always dreamed of staying in one (which we did about 6 years ago).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom