Help Walt's personal, IRL Geppetto

SoCalMort

Original Poster
While I didn't see anything against posts like this in the rules, my apologies in advance to The Mom if this causes an issue.

I'm thinking people in this forum need no introduction to Bob Baker and his deep connection to Walt, the studio, and the parks. If there are a few who need the backstory, I refer you to the first link below. Even if you are familiar with Baker, the link might be a good read. I had no idea he helped design Figment.

“When you go to the theater, you pay admission and watch a show, with nothing but a piece of paper in your hand. But you take home…the illusion, the fantasy, the love, the drama, the music - and you’ll always have it.” - Bob Baker

'You'll always have it' is right.

I attended my first show at the Bob Baker Marionette Theater in Los Angeles a few years after it opened. (Don't do the math. That's rude.) My memory of that day equals those of my childhood trips to D'land. I attended my last show there a couple years ago and the charm remained as strong. A magical setting, performances direct from the heart, and an entire experience devoid of even a hint of corporate synergy.

My last attendance was bittersweet because I truly feared it would be my last. The theater was about to be demolished to make way for high-rise condos. They talked about their passion and commitment to finding a new home. They never once even hinted this might be the end. Against all odds, they actually pulled it off last year and opened the doors at their new location.

Then 2020 happened.

The theater is now, for the first time, describing their desperate financial straits in terms of life or death. They very well may never open their doors again and nearly 60 years of magic will come to an end.

Believe me, I understand times are hard for all of us. But if you carry around memories of Emporium window displays, Fantasy On Parade's toy soldiers, Small World, Figment, and happen to have even just $10 you can spare at the moment, please go to the second link below.

Thanks.

.....we now return you to your regularly scheduled political infighting.

Communicora

Premium Member
I tried but just didn't have time to see a show there when I was staying nearby about a year ago.

I hope someone with deep pockets makes a big donation. It looks like such a neat place!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom