Help Us Decide!! Contemporary, Polynesian, or Grand Floridan

Help me Decide Polynesian, Contemporary or Grand Floridan

• Total voters

JEANYLASER

Original Poster
We are Planning a trip to Disney for Next year for My 50th Birthday and I really want to stay in one of the monorail hotels like Polynesian, Contemporary or the Grand Floridan. I really wanted to stay in the Polynesian it's my suggesting but I don't know anyone of those monorail hotels. Any Ideas.

Thanks

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So you didn't leave us any of your criteria of what makes an enjoyable stay for you!
  • Polynesian - Best theming and better food value. Depends on your timing as it won't open until Summer.
  • Contemporary - Concrete
  • Grand Floridan - IMHO its stuffy and pretentious. Four Seasons is much better.
My wife and I have stayed at all three in normal and Concierge rooms quite a few times over the year

jmargarone27

I am a diehard Grand Floridian fan. Definitely has its faults, but overall I find everything to be just a step above in quality compared to the other resorts. I’d probably pick the Contemporary over the Polynesian, it’s just doesn’t do it for me like it does for others...which is great! This is why we have options. Have a blast!

Stitch826

I’ve stayed in the Polynesian with my family several times and loved it. If you stay there, make sure you request a third floor room (balcony) or first floor (patio). Second floor rooms have neither. The resort itself is beautiful.

I’ve always wanted to stay at the Contemporary, but only if in the main tower. I personally wouldn’t pay deluxe room prices to stay in one of the garden wings.

Buck Wheelie

Poly or GF would be my choice. There's nothing wrong with CR but I prefer the other two better. Now that the walk path is open to connect MK to GF and Poly that makes it even better.

MickeyCB

We are Planning a trip to Disney for Next year for My 50th Birthday and I really want to stay in one of the monorail hotels like Polynesian, Contemporary or the Grand Floridan. I really wanted to stay in the Polynesian it's my suggesting but I don't know anyone of those monorail hotels. Any Ideas.

Thanks
We've stayed in all 3, regular rooms and DVC sections. A bit of caution on that 50th thing at the Poly.
That's where I decided I was going to stay for my 50th (having never stayed in a deluxe prior to that). We got there, were in a MK facing view room, and when I opened up the curtain and saw Cinderella's Castle, I looked at my husband and said "you ain't never getting me back in one of those rooms"! 🤣
And, 10 years later we're hooked and DVC members!
But, in all seriousness I agree with posters above, each one is totally different. GF more formal "fancy", Poly-all tropics, and the Contemporary less theming but still impressive. We really like Baylake with the availability of the 1 bedroom villas.
And while none were on your wish list, there are very many nice moderates also with great theming.

Beachmouse1

I think it’s a matter of the experience your looking for. All great resorts with different benefits. I have stayed at all 3.
most recent Grand Floridan which is my favorite resort. I don’t find it to be stuffy at all. Great dining and I find less loud than the others. Easy trip into Magic Kingdom, great shopping, and Enchanted Rose is beautiful! Victoria & Albert’s (when it’s open)
Contemporary is great for location and food as well. Can’t beat the ability to walk home from Magic Kingdom on a crowded evening and not have to wait for a bus, monorail, etc. (although The Grand has that now as well) and some excellent dining as well. Can be loud in main building but fun if that’s the experience your looking for.
Poly is a fan favorite I haven’t stayed there in years and at that time the rooms were tired and we were far. But in terms of fun and entertainment can’t be beat (I’m speaking of non COVID times). Food is great, atmosphere is great whole resort is pure fun! Dining with Chip & Dale was one of my favorite experiences so much fun

again this is all non-COVID time but each are totally different experiences it depends on which you want?

MickeyLuv'r

We have also stayed at all 3, and our top pick is the Contemporary. It is worth adding that we usually get a car, and the last few years- prepandemic- if we stayed at a deluxe we often chose club level. As far as I know, for now all the club level lounges are closed. More or less for about $150/night or a little less- club level = a quick and easy continental breakfast, beverages. NO full egg/bacon breakfast, but just about everything else: fruit, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, breads/muffins/pastries, sometimes hard boiled eggs. Plus snacks and beverages the rest of the day. With 4 people, prices were comparable to eating in the food courts. The real bonus of CL though is that it was a big time saver in the morning.

And that brings me around to why we like the Contemporary so much. Sure, Poly has better theming, but CR= walking to MK, and monorail to all the restaurants on the monorail line. And if that's not enough WL and Ft WL are a short boat ride away.

For me, the Poly rooms were too dark on the inside. The pool is great. It is just so easy to get around when staying at CR - that's CR's real advantage. I happen to think CR's Bay Lake view is one of WDW's big secrets: you get an awesome view of the water parade every night.

GF is also very nice. The rooms are nice and big! And the staff has always been great. The theming and pool are also fun. Bonus: brides/weddings are common! Even if your room doesn't get a great view, the area by the GF's quick serve/marina has a nice view. but that only really matters if WDW has fireworks.

Of all the rooms, GF rooms have a great layout, followed by CR. Poly is a little like CR, but I think CR is better. Well, except for the very odd sinks in the bathroom. They are square, very flat, and don't drain. (always a puddle). The bathroom also lacks counter space, so we end up using one of the sinks as if it was counter space. GF has nice bathrooms. Oh, and the bigger rooms in the main building are really nice, but only if they bring back club level. (All GF main building are normally club level rooms.)

It depends what you want in your hotel.

StarshipDisney

We have stayed at the Polynesian once and Contemporary three times now. Poly was nice but we had a good walk to the great ceremonial house and found it closer to walk a path to the ferryboat. Bottom line is that we had a good walk to our room. We have never stayed at Grand Floridian because every time we got off there it was always a large crowd for the monorail. I have seen the monorail stop at Grand Floridian completely full and almost nobody gets off or on because it filled up for the Magic Kingdom at the previous stops.

We love Contemporary Tower primarily for the following conveniences:

- Room to elevator to Monorail Station (under 5 minutes)
- Room to elevator to Bus Station (under 5 minutes)
- Room to elevator to Shopping (under 5 minutes)
- Room to elevator to Food/Bar (under 5 minutes)
- Monorail Station to elevator to Room (under 5 minutes)
- Bus Station to elevator to Room (under 5 minutes)
- Shopping to elevator to Room (under 5 minutes)
- Food/Bar to elevator to Room (under 5 minutes)
- By far the shortest walk to the Magic Kingdom

The "under 5 minutes" will vary primarily due to elevator wait time. But there are four working elevators and we have never waited long. It is a simple fact that no resort on property is more convenient than the Contemporary Tower.

(Note: I know some other resorts may have a few close rooms. I did not say "better"; but it is still a fact that no resort on property is more convenient (and has the sheer number of rooms that qualify as being that convenient) than the Contemporary Tower.

The Contemporary is also the first monorail stop after the Magic Kingdom. We have found the line always moves quickly to board and you will be the first quick stop after boarding a crowded Magic Kingdom monorail. Hopefully the EPCOT Monorail will return soon.

Other factors may influence your decision, but bottom line is that if you want convenience...then the choice is clear. Contemporary wins easily!

Allison Hamff

Thanks
We would absolutely pick the Polynesian if we were choosing between those 3 hotels. The pool looks amazing!

IanDLBZF

Between those 3, I'd go with the Contemporary, especially the tower, and boy it was so easy to get on the Monorail.
I've stayed there twice during the pandemic.

Greenlawler

Stayed at all three, in fact sitting at the GF now.

Polynesian by a mile for me. Go with your gut, you said you wanted to stay at Poly, stay there. If you don't and you let strangers talk you into one of the others, you will always second guess.

Grand Floridian: Just kind of "uppity". We love our room here (we were upgraded) but just does not have the same Disney feel.
Contemporary: A really nice Hilton, close to Disney. Love the hub but it's just kind of meh
Polynesian: Just feels the most Disney, best pool, Trader Sam's, Ohana, I mean it's just my favorite of all.

Last edited:

jmargarone27

Polynesian by a mile for me. Go with your gut, you said you wanted to stay at Poly, stay there. If you don't and you let strangers talk you into one of the others, you will always second guess.

Grand Floridian: Just kind of "uppity". We love our room here (we were upgraded) but just does not have the same Disney feel.
Contemporary: A really nice Hilton, close to Disney. Love the hub but it's just kind of meh
Polynesian: Just feels the most Disney, best pool, Trader Sam's, Ohana, I mean it's just my favorite of all.
Just curious, what was your upgrade? I haven’t been upgraded since 2003 at the GF, we were booked in a garden view and got upgraded upon arrival to Sugar Loaf.

COrunner

SHHHHH!!! Exnay on the Ader Am Trey ;)

Honestly though having done all 3 it will always be Poly, CR, GF for my ranking. The pool, layout, food, being able to watch the fireworks from a pretty straight on shot. Even the check in, smells like a tropical getaway and getting a lei just makes it feel like the most Disney resort.

Contemporary is nice but feels much more business/adult oriented, has decent amenities and you cannot beat the walk to and from MK.

GF, is very charming, on the monorail and now with the walking path has a direct line to MK.

LittleMerman

I would do the GF personally bc it's beautiful and the flagship. Would be awesome for a 50th bday bc it feels more upscale. Poly is my 2nd fave resort (after WL) and I would choose that if you were looking for more of a "vacation" vibe. I always def feel like I've escaped to a vacation when I'm there!

Personally, I've never liked Contemporary. It's not attractive and I'm not in love with the theme (if you can call it that). The Mary Blair art is beautiful but you can easily go visit the resort just to browse or eat. I would never pay those kind of high prices for a resort like Contemporary. Maybe it would be cool if you got a room that faces MK but I'm never in my hotel anyway to take advantage of it. I don't know your vacation style though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom