Help planning my first full day of Resort hopping

neoshinok

Original Poster
I'm going with a friend in June and they aren't getting admission tickets. I'd like to spend a whole day resort hopping and would like some recommendations for specific things to see/do/eat/drink. What are your favorite tips?

Zé_Carioca

It is hard to recommend activities because it depends on what you are looking for and what you both like to do. My favorite things to do at the Resorts: ( I apologize in advance, many things are for 21+)

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge: See the animals and eat the zebra domes (Jambo House), Sanaa at Kidani Village is truly delicious and I would recommend the bread service with the 9 dips, it is a must get.

Port Orleans: Start at either Riverside or French Quarter and walk around towards the other resort. At French Quarter get the beignets! If you drink, I would actually recommend stepping into Scat Cat's and ordering the beignets with the shots of liqueurs of your choice. I don't get them for the liqueurs, the beignets themselves are fresh off the oven and imo better than the ones at the food court. If you go on a day that Yehaa Bob is playing at Riverside, I recommend you watch his show, it is fun and entertaining for all ages. Even if he is not playing, I recommend making your way to riverside to see the mill and walk around the resort, it is stunning and relaxing.

Monorail Resorts: Again, for 21+ you can do the monorail crawl and stop at the bars around the resorts. If you are not big drinkers this is still a great way to see three resorts with very different and interesting theming.

Grand Floridian: Their bar, Mizners is undergoing refurbishment so they only have a makeshift temporary bar right now. I still say it is a great resort to take in the ambiance and even sit and listen to the band.

Polynesian: I definitely recommend Trader Sam's it is a very fun and interactive tiki bar, wait to be seated inside to get the full effect. They also have a stand (Pineapple lanai) that serves dole whip and has some new flavors like lime and a new lemon/lime swirl.

Contemporary: Not my favorite of the three, but it completes the loop and it is interesting to see Mary Blair's mural and stand in the Grand Canyon Concourse as the monorail passes by. I recommend drinking at the Wave's bar instead of the outer rim. Or even grab a drink at the bar at California Grill to enjoy the view, no reservation necessary.

Boardwalk Resorts:

Boardwalk: Just walking around and taking in the sight, I love it here. I recommend Ample Hills, I am not a fan of ice cream and even I have to admit that their flavors are delicious. For drinks I recommend checking out Abracadabar, it is a fun theme. Or the Belle Bue lounge inside the resort itself, if you want a more relaxed environment, they even have some old school board games and props that are interesting to see. Inside the lobby there is a carousel that moves every 15-30 minutes (?) it is great to see if you happen to catch it in action.

Yacht and Beach Club: Since you will be in the area I recommend walking over to those two and checking out their theming. I have never been but hear good things about Crew's Cup lounge for drinks and snacks. I have no idea if they are still closed, but Beaches and Cream has HUGE and creative ice cream concoctions.

Wilderness Lodge: This one is my favorite to visit on a resort day. Walk around the resort, it is stunning. Right at the lobby you can see the beautiful fireplace and two impressive totem poles. The lobby has the beginning of the creek that goes all the way to the pool and then to the geyser near the lake. I recommend trying to see the geyser in action, I think it goes off every hour (?). For drinks and food I recommend Geyser Point (great views of the lake) or Territory Lounge, the only place where you can still get some favorites from the old Artist Point, like the mushroom bisque.

Fort Wilderness Resort: This one takes longer to see everything since it is a campsite resort and everything is VERY spread out and you need to take internal buses to get around. I recommend visiting the ranch and seeing the horses! For food, I hear great things about Hoop Dee Doo Revue (dinner with show).

If you are ok spending extra money some resorts have activities that you can pay for like renting a surrey bike and riding around the Boardwalk or Saratoga Springs, horseback riding at Fort Wilderness, Fishing or rending a carriage ride at Port Orleans Riverside etc. The resorts by water and lakes also have boat rentals such as GR, FW etc.

If you are looking for something else entirely, let me know and I can change my recommendations accordingly!

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I would do a Monorail Crawl to hit all the Deluxe Resorts on Bay Lake.

Contemporary Lounge - The Wave
Polynesian - Trader Sams/
Grand Floridian - They have a temporary bar set up as Mizners Lounge is under refurb.
Wilderness Lodge - Take the boat over from GF and go to Geyser's Point.

Fun way to see a bunch of fantastic resorts!

JIMINYCR

On our last trip we visited the Art of Animation resort because we had never been. The separate resort areas are very well themed, easily walked around, with sets from Cars, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Nemo... its well worth visiting with lots of photo ops.

I would do a Monorail Crawl to hit all the Deluxe Resorts on Bay Lake.

Contemporary Lounge - The Wave
Polynesian - Trader Sams/
Grand Floridian - They have a temporary bar set up as Mizners Lounge is under refurb.
Wilderness Lodge - Take the boat over from GF and go to Geyser's Point.

Fun way to see a bunch of fantastic resorts!

If you do want to hit Trader Sams, I would head to Poly around 3pm the latest to get your name in as the initial groupings fill up fast. I believe it can hold around 50 people at once? I could be way off, but I think I remember the CM saying to another guest while we were waiting.

If you can't get on the list, no worries though as you can go on the terrace right outside and they have the same menu for food (small plate type foods) and drinks. Great view of the Seven Seas Lagoon though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom