HELP me!!! Revise trip, cancel, or still go??

NelleBelle

I think they have no staff and no market as if stands. And no ports.

Cruise ships have already learned hard lessons with very public battles with noroviruses.

They have redesigned and changed policies. Nobody knew about corona when last they set sail...I imagine they would be aggressive if they resumed.

But they know they’ve got nothing to sail for as it stands.

People are lauding Disney...it’s so safe?!?!

What a great job! Well...as long as there isn’t any incidents. That’s not a small factor in the perception.
Except there were a number of outbreaks on the Disney Wonder with a CM dying. Even with the NO-Sail dates set to lift the first of Oct, I would bet they will be extended again given the state of things.
Disney Wonder Crew Member Dies - At Least 255 People on Disney Cruise Ship Tested Positive for COVID-19 | Cruise Law News

Dave B

I think they have no staff and no market as if stands. And no ports.

Cruise ships have already learned hard lessons with very public battles with noroviruses.

They have redesigned and changed policies. Nobody knew about corona when last they set sail...I imagine they would be aggressive if they resumed.

But they know they’ve got nothing to sail for as it stands.

People are lauding Disney...it’s so safe?!?!

What a great job! Well...as long as there isn’t any incidents. That’s not a small factor in the perception.
But didn't you say Cruises would be safe?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But didn't you say Cruises would be safe?
I think they may not inherently be less safe than amusement parks...especially if they develop a strict crew and passenger screening protocol.

I meant Disney parks as the comparison...but I obviously didn’t say it right.

As far Orlando goes...its set up as a flashpoint...too many service that property that come and go every day.

NelleBelle

I think they may not inherently be less safe than amusement parks...especially if they develop a strict crew and passenger screening protocol.

I meant Disney parks as the comparison...but I obviously didn’t say it right.

As far Orlando goes...its set up as a flashpoint...too many service that property that come and go every day.
I think as far as cruising goes, DCL will likely have the safest protocols and I would feel safe sailing with them. Up until the virus, DCL had the fewest incidents with norovirus on their ships and they are pretty fastidious with the cleaning and ensuring guests taking sanitizing wipes prior to entering dining venues. But then again, you introduce the not-so-honest guest who has the I-paid-this-amount-for-this-cruise-and-I'm-entitled-yadaydadyada and then problems arise. AGAIN.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into the DCL forum! But, OP did mention cruising...and my opinion is that they liking won't be sailing at Christmas.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think as far as cruising goes, DCL will likely have the safest protocols and I would feel safe sailing with them. Up until the virus, DCL had the fewest incidents with norovirus on their ships and they are pretty fastidious with the cleaning and ensuring guests taking sanitizing wipes prior to entering dining venues. But then again, you introduce the not-so-honest guest who has the I-paid-this-amount-for-this-cruise-and-I'm-entitled-yadaydadyada and then problems arise. AGAIN.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into the DCL forum! But, OP did mention cruising...and my opinion is that they liking won't be sailing at Christmas.
Why?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Imo, because the WDW parks have crushed the other parks in Orlando in the reopening safely department. And as we all know service on the cruise line far surpasses that of the parks, so I have no reason to doubt it will be even better onboard.
That’s all opinion...

And not exactly a slam dunk one.

It was an assessment of cruiselines...not parks

And I’ve seen quite a few posts from locals who have visited the parks that believe universal is doing a “better” job of managing.

Loving Disney does not make it infallible. That’s not even worthy of being called a false equivalency.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Imo, because the WDW parks have crushed the other parks in Orlando in the reopening safely department. And as we all know service on the cruise line far surpasses that of the parks, so I have no reason to doubt it will be even better onboard.
"Onboard" is not the problem. Once you get on that ship, you're at the whim of the federal government of the United States of America and whatever other banana republics you might cruise off to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I never take the opinion of a local who prefers Universal to Disney seriously. I avoided them like the plague when I lived there. The point is Disney has thrown Universal under the bus when it comes to the reopening. It's not subject to debate. It's fact. I just left Florida after 5 years, and the sane, unbiased, people will gladly say that DIS > UNI
You were college program, no?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Worse, I moved there for grad school and thought working for a theme park would be a good way to pay for it o_O But, if you wanna continue the covo, let's take it to the DM. Otherwise it's very off topic and I know the Mom is likely very busy in another thread ;)
Yeeesh...That is bad

Ok...you’ve been cleared of all the normal Disney psychosis...

Until we have a vaccine...I got nothing

Wendy Pleakley

Is COVID more or less contagious than Norovirus?

Disney may have great sanitation in place on the ships, but from what we've seen if just one guest with COVID slips through the screening it's going to spread like wildfire.

NelleBelle

Is COVID more or less contagious than Norovirus?

Disney may have great sanitation in place on the ships, but from what we've seen if just one guest with COVID slips through the screening it's going to spread like wildfire.
According to the CDC, "norovirus: contributes to about 56,000 to 71,000 hospitalizations and 570 to 800 deaths, mostly among young children and the elderly." https://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/trends-outbreaks/burden-US.html
Totally agree if a case of covid slips by, there will be huge repercussions! I think we'll probably see some sort of "rapid covid" testing going on to prove no one is boarding with a positive case if there isn't proof of vaccination (or something). I can't imagine a temp screen is going to cut it the way they do at the parks, regardless of the sanitation efforts on the cruise ships. I thought this article was interesting...
https://thepointsguy.com/news/norovirus-outbreaks-on-cruise-ships/

HkPro

My daughter did Bippity Boppity boutique when she was 9 and she was still into the magic every bit as much as when she went when she was 6. I remember she was one of the younger girls in there as well, the others were in the 10-12 range. So don't worry about missing out on the magic. I was sad because our canceled trip scheduled for June 2020, was going to be the last when my son was still 9 and still a Disney "kid. But in the grand scheme of things, 10 isn't that different than 9, and he will still love it next year <3

KaliSplash

Hey guys, I haven’t planned many Disney trips and I haven’t been as up to date on covid stuff with Disney until today.

Our plan is to go to WDW in December, the 16th-19th, for our daughter’s 7th birthday. She’s a Disney fanatic and has been there a few times but this will be our first trip without my parents/other family members coming too so this would be the first time we’d be able to really focus on planning to do all the things that SHE would want to do. We also have a toddler who would be 2.5y/o at the time of our trip.

I don’t know what to do. I considered today cancelling and then maybe booking a Disney cruise for the same time and do that for her birthday instead but I also don’t know the restrictions for cruises and know the ships aren’t sailing right now (or at least some?)

The main things she will care about at Disney will be character greetings, character dining, Bibbidi Bobbidi boutique, and fireworks. We planned to attend the regular firework show on the 16th, and one of the Christmas parties while we are there. We usually go to the dessert party and garden viewing for fireworks. I know I need to call and set all that stuff up but I can’t decide what to do. Everything is so up in the air at Disney, I guess I just want opinions on if one way would be safer (as far as keeping our plans and having a good time I mean. We will practice social distancing, wear masks, etc to be actually *physically* safe.)

Anyone have any thoughts? This is my first time planning the trip alone without other adults helping with certain things since we usually have a larger group going together, and I think this year will be her last year with it being super magical. Obviously it’s always magical, but like the little kid, believe everything is real type of magical, and it’s making me really sad that it doesn’t look like it will work out how we planned.

Sorry if there’s posts like this already, I don’t frequent these boards much unless looking for specific info. Thanks in advance for any help. I know there won’t be any definite answers but I appreciate opinions.

I would cancel. You want this trip to be about things she wants to do. It is unlikely the things she wants to do will be available this year. Ditto on the cruise. You can't at the moment and I wouldn't count on being able to do so this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom