Help me make the most of 1 day at Disneyland

DisneyJedi

Original Poster
My wife and I managed to sneak in a day we can visit Disneyland on our first trip out west in late October. Our Disneyland day will be October 21st. What is a recommended schedule of events at Disneyland? I'm a seasoned WDW visitor (4 times) and definitely want to catch the attractions that the two parks don't have in common first. I will be studying the Disneyland website. In the meantime which attractions are most crowded and should be visited immediately at park opening? My wife's first and only Disney experience was on our honeymoon and we were running around like a headless chickens trying to hit as many attractions as possible. It was exhausting. I expect more of the same since NEITHER of of have ever been to Disneyland. Does Disneyland have fastpass? I guess I could learn alot by reading the Disneyland website and these boards, but I am just overly excited and haven't gotten to that yet. I used priceline and got us a couple nights at the Crowne Plaza Resort for $40/night. I think that is an OK deal. We're on an extremely tight budget and I just want to have the best experieince possible in a day. Tips?

Grumpy56

Hit Indiana Jones Early, also Matterhorn. Make a reservation for lunch at the Blue Bayou. Yes there is FastPASS, thank goodness. Check out Roger Rabbit early too and don't bypass Space Mountain, it's better than the WDW version.
Check out this website there's lots of good info on DL
www.mouseplanet.com

Have fun, it's where it all started!

Tigggrl

Hi!
You are going on a good day, and you have a great room rate too!
Disneyland does have fastpass, but NOT for Matterhorn. Space Mountain is also down till 2005 for an update. You shouldnt have any trouble with lines...Most we wait during the week is 10-15 minutes!
A good idea is to hit Indy on your way to Blue Bayou to get a fastpass, and go on HMH. You may be able to make reservations at Cit Hall on your way in, but we never have a problem during the week and in the off season.
My friends and I rode HMH and lots of other major rides with little to no wait during October! We have more fun during the weekdays, as its a nice time of year, with minimal waits, and wonderful temps! Take time to enjoy the park, and grab a tour when you have time!
Oh, and HAVE FUN!
( I never know when Im going, or I would offer to show you around:) Im only 1/2 an hour away;))

Grumpy56

Oops:eek:

I forgot about Space Mountain being down:cry:

I've been stuck out here on the east coast so I haven't been to the happiest place on earth for awhile.

You'll have a great time it's awesome.

Disneynutcase

I would be very surprised if you encountered crowds on an off-season Tuesday. Something weird--like a major convention at DL--would have to be going on to cause lines.

I was there last year on a Tuesday--October 29th--with a pass that got us into both parks and was also given this Mega Fast Pass that was supposed to give us instant access to any Fast Pass line whenever we saw fit. Suffice to say, we used the Mega Fast Pass once, in fact cracked the CM up because we insisted that we had to use it. There were NO lines for anything--maybe 5 minute waits max and standard 10 minute max waits for shows like Tiki Room or 3-D movies.

I'd say begin your day at Disneyland and pick an area that you'd like to see most. My recommendation is Fantasyland since attractions like Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Storybookland Canal Boats and even Matterhorn load kind of slow and can actually still get lines on slow days. And aside from Peter Pan, Mad Tea Party, the Carousel, and Snow White, almost everything else in Fantasyland is exclusive to DL. Do note that Small World will probably be closed due to it's Christmas Holiday retheming (it was down last year in late October).

Last year we tackled Fantasyland first, then checked out Toon Town. Definately do not skip Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. Then choose what to do from there.

We did Fantasyland, Toon Town, then took the train back to Main Street (do the train--it has a diorama of Grand Canyon and the dinosaurs that are in UoE between Tomorrowland and Main Street stations). And then we went late morning til mid-day at DCA.

Depending on how much you need to see, DCA (at least all its highpoints) can be done in a few hours. I'd recommend getting a Fast Pass for the Aladdin Show and hitting some rides while the time lapses. Soaring is the only really cool DCA original. The have the 3-D's and Animation Studios that are similar if not exact copies to WDW's. Paradise Pier will either work for you or make you groan. In my opinion, it's not very Disney. Pick and choose from DCA's options, see what you can and then cross the ticket booth areas and finish your day at DL.

We ripped through almost all of Adventureland, New Orleans Square and Critter Country (w/o the new Pooh Bear ride) in about 2 hours.

Remember there's a chance that Big Thunder Mountain will probably also be down when you're there. After the terrible accident a few weeks ago, they have yet to announce when it will reopen. My guess is by Christmas break, maybe Thanksgiving, but not 'til then.

Must do's--Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Mr. Toad (if you miss it from MK), Pirates (totally better than MK's version), Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion Holiday (do not skip this!), Soaring Over California, and the Aladdin Show at DCA. Also of merit (and not in Florida) are the Storybookland Canal Boats (kinda cool at night), Pinocchio ride, Casey Junior Circus Train, the original Tiki Room, Columbia Sailing Ship, and a revamped version of the Autopia Car ride (very nicely and humorously themed now). And DCA has some nice walk-through exhibits and the Bug's Life Kid area.

For dining, Blue Bayou is great but will eat up some of your time because of its popularity and because it's a full-service sit down meal. It's also a bit pricey (but worth it). If you're on a budget, try the French Market in New Orleans Square. It's a buffeteria, but for some reason their food is superior to all the other DL eateries. Plus there's usually a nice jazz band playing on its outdoor stage.

And don't forget that Downtown Disney is practically smack in between both parks and will be open later than the parks. And if you have energy after your marathon day, you might want to wander into the Grand Californian Lodge--very nicely themed and ornate hotel with some nice restaurants. Also the original Disneyland Hotel has some interesting places to dine, and usually some kind of dancing water show around the pool area (actually I'm not sure if they still do that).

Hope all this helps. Have a great trip.

DisneyJedi

Original Poster
Wow.. thank you all for the comments and suggestions! I think we're gonna have a great time!

One question: Is the Haunted Mansion Holiday going on October 21st when we're there? I used to get west coast feeds on my satellite dish and saw commercials for the Haunted Mansion Holiday and it looks really cool. I hope they are having it this year. [edit: I should have read the last post more carefully. Thanks!]

Disneynutcase

They've just begun to advertise the HM Holiday Haunt today. Back page of today's LA Daily News had a full page ad with Jack Skellington and crew claiming that it is now open (or reopened.

A few years back, Disney decided to run this version of HM from Halloween season thru New Years. And as I said, we rode it twice on October 29th last year.

DCA Fan

Haunted Mansion Holiday opened today (err...yesterday for previews if you wanted to be politically correct). Looks great from the pics I've seen. This year, they've added Oogie Boogie who is having fun in the Mansion w/ Jack. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom