Help me decide! Which hotel?!

Fantasmic

Hi guys, I've stayed in WDW for the past 3 trips (once in All Stars, twice in Port Orleans Riverside)
Now, my OH and I adore POR, but I don't know whether to go for a change!
We are coming from the UK so will be staying for 2 weeks and will be renting a car, I think I've narrowed it down to:

Port Orleans French Quarter
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs

As with these we get free QSDP - Which is what we want.

I would POSSIBLY consider Saratoga Springs if we could get a good deal! (but the you get regular DDP which we were annoyed with the rigidity of making ADRs and having to stick to them!)
I would also possibly consider AOA as we would defo get TLM, but the rooms look tiny and 2 weeks of IN YOUR FACE themeing kind of got to us a little bit at ASMo in 2007! Also we can't get QSDP staying at a value!

So, which resort would you stay at?

disney magic 06

I haven't stayed at PO, loved Caribbean Beach. Haven't stayed at CS either but visited and wasn't impressed. AoA seems expensive and I'm not sure about the buildings, they don't look very appealing to me.

Last 2 years we've stayed at Wilderness Lodge which is our favourite but as you say, it is regular DP - altho some of the CS location will happily accept a TS credit! We have booked for 2013 and are staying at OKW, there are some very good offers in the UK for SS and OKW which you may like to look at.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Well hello from the Wirral,( got a buddy from there ) We have stayed at CBR and POFQ but not at CSR. We preferred the FQ altho just back from PORS for the third time and it's our favourite.But FQ is nice and small and a lot cheaper than CBR.The boat to downtown Disney on the Sassagoula river is nice and the jazz entertainer is good but the Beignets in the food court are awesome and you get three of them for one snack credit.Now that's what Iam talking about.:)

Upvote 0

luv

I have stayed at all of them, multiple times (except AoA), before and after current re-dos on the rooms.

I would scratch CBR off the list because I couldn't be stuck in those cartoon rooms with the clashing drapes for two weeks. Otherwise, I love it. It was once my favorite. But it goes.

Next, I scratch AoA. It is cute...but not for two weeks. And I think it is nuts to pay all that money for that when you could do SO much better.

So I am left with CSR and POFQ.

CSR requires me to put the key card into not one, but two gates before getting to the room. They also have that fee in the food court. And the rooms are on the boring side, though they do have the door instead of the curtain. But it is prettier than POFQ and has a nice water view.

POFQ has no drawbacks. The buildings are cute enough, but not garish. The rooms are liveable. Nice walk along the canal. It's far more calm and restful than CSR. And I could walk over to the POR food court if the POFQ one isn't doing it for me.

OK, for two weeks, I'd be staying in an offsite condo. Just had to say that. BUT, if I had to pick a place from your list, it would be POFQ, with a water view.

Upvote 0

Fantasmic

Original Poster
I've done the offsite thing many many times, in fact it's only the last 3 times I've been I've stayed on property.

You've all pretty much summed all my many thoughts up so far, I'm still leaning much towards POFQ or RS. I just wondered whether to take a change next year :s

I'd love to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but I just can't afford it

(I'm also toying with the idea of going to California instead of Florida next year!)

Upvote 0

luv

Please don't get me wrong, I like POFQ. However, POFQ has plenty of drawbacks:
  • Bus service that is shared with POR. At times, this makes for a long ride between resort and theme park.
  • Compared to the other Moderate Resorts, it has a small, uninspiring pool
  • The worst food court at any Moderate Resort
POFQ's biggest advantages are its small size (by far the smallest Moderate Resort) and its adult feel (The Big Easy, New Orleans, Mardi Gras, etc.). Since I don't normally think of couples hanging out poolside at a WDW Value or Moderate Resort, or eating at a food court, I think it's the most romantic Moderate Resort. It has less appeal to families.

By comparison, CSR is much larger but has a much better main pool and a better food court. At least according to "The Unofficial Guide to WDW", it also has the best bus service of any Moderate Resort.

Overall, POR is my family's favorite Moderate Resort. However, I'm an even bigger fan of staying at new resorts. So, to the OP, I suggest going with either POFQ or CSR depending on your family situation.
POR wasn't on the list, lol.

Bussing isn't an issue for this thread, because the OP said they will have a car. I do, however, routinely defer to everyone else (and the UG) on matters of public transportation. I don't use it enough to know the ins and outs.

The OP isn't going with children.

I am also not a fan of New Orleans in any way. It has never appealed to me. To me, that isn't an advantage. POFQ was actually the last mod I tried, for that very reason. I was prepared not to like it, but ended up liking it quite a bit. :)

What works for me won't necessarily work for others. Some people might love the rooms at CBR. Some people don't mind the CSR food court fee.

I'm just talking from my own viewpoint here! I kind of figure that everyone does. I wouldn't want you (or anyone) to think that I believe my take on everything to be The Only Right One. I know it isn't. :)

But it is mine. :)

Upvote 0

afar28

I've stayed at all of thema and loved them all. You can't make a bad choice in this decision. I'd pick Caribbean though, as the Coronado has a convention center and can get crowded.

Upvote 0

Sweet Melissa

Only one I stayed at was Caribbean Beach, and while beautiful, getting around the resort can be a hassle. I've read the same thing about about CSR. FQ is by far the easiest of the Moderates to navigate, plus you have the boat to DTD which is nice.

I agree with the Captain. I've stayed at all the moderates, save CSR (which does look very nice) and French Quarter is by far my favorite. It's got such nice grounds, recently refurbished rooms, and a very navigable resort. Plus, you can share amenities with Riverside, which is only a 5 minute walk away.

Upvote 0

PUSH

I've stayed at both POR and CBR.

While I haven't stayed at CBR for probably 5 or 6 years, I prefer POR much more. CBR is spread out a lot and depending on where your room is, you can be quite a hike from the main area. I believe CSR is quite a ways from the parks (as compared to the others.) I know for a fact that all rooms in POR (and I believe POFQ) have been renovated in the past year or so. We loved the standard Riverside rooms when we went in March. My personal favorite resort is POR, but it's really up to what fits your personality more. Hope I helped. :)

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

It will be myself and my fella, and we'll be renting a car, so we're not bothering with buses next time (thank god!)

Well if it is just you two I would suggest CSR, it is a great resort for couples and more adult friendly heres why:

Casa de Belleza Salon & Spa
Dig Site (One of the best resort pools on property)
Laguna Bar (Romantic lakeside bar)
La Vida Health club
Maya Grill (Great restaurant)
Rix Lounge (Night Club)
Quiet pools (3 around property)

All in all its a beautiful resort and at night has a nice quiet romantic feel of the Southwest away from all the hustle and bustle of WDW.

Upvote 0

luis71091

CRS is beautiful, but very big. it has pretty good foodcourt and an awesome pool. The rooms are nice and modern, while they do have a southwestern feel to them, the themeing isn't in your face. POFQ is small and easy to navigate. The pool is alright, but after a long day at the park, there is nothing better than knowing that you won't have to trek 5 miles just to get to your room. I do prefer CSR. Oh, and I was not a fan of SSR, so I would not reccommend it.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

Coronado has the convention center and is intended to appeal to the business crowd.

Caribbean Beach is more family oriented with the extensive playground and pirate themed rooms.

French Quarter is generally quieter and more romantic.

Logistically, CB is odd in that the front desk is not adjacent to the food court and shops. CS and CB are laid out in large rings that can require bus rides with-in the resort, but you can generally park near your car. FQ is smaller, but all of the parking is in one area away from the buildings, and as has been said you have the option of taking a boat to DTD.

Upvote 0

yensid67

I am going to throw in a curve ball here and tell you something about a hotel just outside the gates on Hotel Plaza Blvd.
We are going in May 2013 and are staying at The Clarion LBV on Palm Pkwy.(% minutes to downtown Disney) for $59.99 a night using the magicard. The regular price is $89.99/night! So you can see that you are saving $20 a night! They have free shuttles to Disney, so you wouldn't HAVE to use your rental...that would save you some gas money! AND when you use the magicard you get 2 FREE Breakfasts each morning...again saving even more money!!!! Check it out clarionlbv.com and visitorlando.com/magicard

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

I have stayed at all of them, multiple times (except AoA), before and after current re-dos on the rooms.

I would scratch CBR off the list because I couldn't be stuck in those cartoon rooms with the clashing drapes for two weeks. Otherwise, I love it. It was once my favorite. But it goes.

Next, I scratch AoA. It is cute...but not for two weeks. And I think it is nuts to pay all that money for that when you could do SO much better.

So I am left with CSR and POFQ.

CSR requires me to put the key card into not one, but two gates before getting to the room. They also have that fee in the food court. And the rooms are on the boring side, though they do have the door instead of the curtain. But it is prettier than POFQ and has a nice water view.

POFQ has no drawbacks. The buildings are cute enough, but not garish. The rooms are liveable. Nice walk along the canal. It's far more calm and restful than CSR. And I could walk over to the POR food court if the POFQ one isn't doing it for me.

OK, for two weeks, I'd be staying in an offsite condo. Just had to say that. BUT, if I had to pick a place from your list, it would be POFQ, with a water view.
. What is this fee at CSR ?

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Might be the service charge at Pepper Market. I know for breakfast, you would first be seated at a table and then someone would come over and take your drink order and bring it to you and then you would go to the food stations and get your own food.
Cheers,so the OP may be quoting this as a fee.

Upvote 0

wiigirl

i love port Orleans riverside, but of those three, i would choose french quarter. :)

Love the french quarter myself. :)
75.gif

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom