Help choosing a resort for trip #2

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
Hey all! My mom and I just got back from our first ever trip to Disney this March, and if you're wondering how much we enjoyed we were already discussing our next trip by day two. Although we probably won't be going again for minimum a year, probably more than that, I am an overplanner by nature and have already started considering where we're going to stay. This trip we stayed at Wilderness Lodge, which was beautiful. Good food, great rooms, great food, the whole shebang. Problem is for this next trip I would really like to dial down on the cost, so instead of WL I've been looking at moderate resorts. I've been having some trouble deciding though so I thought I would ask you guys, since when it comes to Disney World the people here tend to be experts. Here's what I'm looking for in a resort, in order of importance:

1. The size/how compact everything is. My mom has mobility issues. I know some of the resorts at DW can be really spread out, so staying somewhere where the walk from the bus to our rooms (and preferably anywhere else) is as short as possible. I know part of that equation is highly dependent on what room they happen to give you, but a smaller resort means we're relatively close to everything no matter where we end up so I consider this the most important factor.

2. Restaurants. For our first trip I scheduled a break day in the middle of our trip. We spent all day at the pool, ate breakfast and lunch at the resort, and only left to have dinner at Raglan Road in DS. We both agreed that this break was sorely needed and is a must do for our next trip, so for the next resort we stay at I would prefer if it had at least one, hopefully more restaurants for us to eat at. After all, the point of the break day is to minimize how much we're running around to different areas. Having to leave the resort whenever we want to eat kind of messes up that point. Note that the food doesn't have to be amazing. We're pretty easy to please when it comes to food.

3. Pool. This is the least important factor to me in that it doesn't have to be anything grand. A big part of our break day was spent lounging by the pool. WL had a lot of nice amenities, like jacuzzies, but those aren't a necessity. I know most if not all DW resorts have pools, but we would like something that is on the quiet side (AKA not a lot of kids). However, as I mentioned before this is of the lowest importance. If there's a resort that meets the first two requests and not this one, we're totally fine dealing with a loud pool.
Thanks so much to everyone who helps. I planned my first trip for five years and I fell like there's still so much I don't know haha. When it comes to deciding on things like these, nothing beats asking people who know the pros and cons from personal experience.
Edit: Just realized this probably would have fit better in trip planning. Sorrys guys!

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
Yacht and Beach, or if you don't mind Swan or Dolphin. The other idea would be Polynesian. We've done all with my family who have mobility issues.
Ah. Since so far the two people who have responded have suggested deluxe resorts, and I appreciate you taking the time to do, I think I may made the requirements for a resort sound too strict/demanding. We stayed at WL on our first trip, and it was great, but we want to lower the cost this time around and were specifically looking for moderates. The only deal breaker is the resort has to be good for people with mobility problems. Having a good restaurant is preferred but not a requirement, and a quiet pool is definitely not at the top of our concerns but would just be a nice bonus. I should have made that clearer in my first post, sorry.

correcaminos

Ah. Since so far the two people who have responded have suggested deluxe resorts, and I appreciate you taking the time to do, I think I may made the requirements for a resort sound too strict/demanding. We stayed at WL on our first trip, and it was great, but we want to lower the cost this time around and were specifically looking for moderates. The only deal breaker is the resort has to be good for people with mobility problems. Having a good restaurant is preferred but not a requirement, and a quiet pool is definitely not at the top of our concerns but would just be a nice bonus. I should have made that clearer in my first post, sorry.
Check out the Swan and Dolphin. I could often get prices less than moderates.

But yes for those with mobility issues I think those are the best

A moderate I'd suggest is POFQ. Nice and small but great resort

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
POFQ is compact. It does not have its own TS restaurant. The closest would be Boatwright’s at POR, just a short boat ride away. You’ll also have the option of taking a boat to DS. It may give you a closer walk to the restaurant of your choice, as opposed to taking the bus. Here is a website for POFQ and POR. It’s not an official Disney website, but it’s well-maintained. https://www.portorleans.org/

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
POFQ and the Swan and Dolphin both look great. I was just looking at the Dolphin's web page and was surprised to see it has transportation to Disney parks. I thought it was excluded from ME.

PeakSeason

POFQ and the Swan and Dolphin both look great. I was just looking at the Dolphin's web page and was surprised to see it has transportation to Disney parks. I thought it was excluded from ME.
You can not use Magical Express (the bus service to and from the Orlando airport and Disney owned resort hotels) when staying at Swan or Dolphin, but both resorts are serviced by the internal bus service that operates between Disney parks and resorts.

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
You can not use Magical Express (the bus service to and from the Orlando airport and Disney owned resort hotels) when staying at Swan or Dolphin, but both resorts are serviced by the internal bus service that operates between Disney parks and resorts.
My bad- I thought they were one and the same. Thanks for the clarification. Still happy about having transportation to and from parks. For some reason I had the idea that S&D were excluded from that.

wagner1225

POFQ would be a good choice as most mod's are fairly large and more walking, as far as mobility, there are scooter rental places in Disney area that will deliver and pickup at your hotel that are reasonable and Disney is very acomodating to them

correcaminos

No ME but we avoid it anyway and do town car service if not renting. Swan and Dolphin often share buses with the Boardwalk. You can easily walk to both DHS and Epcot. You also get EMH and FP+ at 60 days. No park charging either, but we always carry a credit card anyway

lawdogNOLA

Port Orleans French Quarter sounds like what you need regarding cost and compactness. The only issue might be restaurants, and in that case, take the boat to Disney Springs. Also, the new Minnie Van service that Disney is offering has vans that are equipped to deal with disabilities, so if your mom uses a wheelchair or scooter, that can be of help getting her around and fairly quickly (one of the advantages this has over regular Uber or Lyft is the high percentage of vehicles especially designed for the disabled). It also has a good pool. The facilities at Port Orleans Riverside are also available and can be reached by boat.

However, something to keep in mind is that French Quarter is often not included in discounts and promotions. as a result, I'd advise to comparatively shop some of the deluxe resorts as to how prices compare for when you're planning your trip. Beach Club, Yacht Club & Boardwalk all seem to satisfy your compactness desire, and are (usually) less expensive than the Contemporary, which would also satisfy your compactness need.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks. Have you ever stayed there, personally? What did you think of it in regards to walking distances, food, and the pool (if you don't mind me asking)?
Yes, we have stayed at both YC and BC. BC is a tad closer to the Epcot International Gateway entrance (a 5-minute walk), while YC is a tad closer to Disney's Hollywood Studios (a 15-minute walk). Food options are good both in the hotels and the adjacent Boardwalk and Swolphin hotel complexes, and if those aren't enough, you can cruise into Epcot's world showcase in about 10 minutes. The pool is such a sought-after perk that they implemented active measures to keep non-resort guests out of it.

We like BC so much, it's our intended destination during our upcoming trip this September.

Last edited:

bee

For the combination of amenities and price, I would go with the Swan or Dolphin with a slight preference for the Swan.

Each hotel is just one building so you won’t be stuck walking a long way outside when you come back to the resort for a break or at night. The Swan is a smaller building and a bit easier to navigate, but the Dolphin would be easy enough and I’ve always been able to request a room near an elevator.

Between the two they have some fantastic restaurants: Il Mulino, Kimonos, Shula’s, BlueZoo (never been to the last two myself as I’m a vegetarian but I hear great things), etc. There are also plenty of quick service or casual places like The Fountain and Fuel. If you want to venture outside the resort for meals you're a short walk or boat ride away from the Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club.

The Swan and Dolphin share a big beautiful pool with waterfalls, and they have small quiet pools as well.

For the price of a Disney moderate resort you get a larger, nicer room with an entrance from an indoor hallway instead of outside. If you’re not a Starwood Preferred Guest member, I recommend joining and booking through your account as you can often get great discounts on rooms.

The disadvantages compared to “real” Disney resorts: no Magical Express. Nightly mandatory resort fee. No MagicBands to open room doors. No big Disney theming. Conventioneers walking around the common areas. To me the price and location far outweigh these factors but they are more important to some people.

slappy magoo

POFQ is the most compact of all the moderate resorts, which satisfies your first preference. But POFQ has what is probably the most paltry restaurant offerings - a food court and a bar and pub with a few food options. Nearest sit down restaurant is "next door" at PO Riverside and even that is only open for dinner.

Swan and Dolphin do have plenty of dining options and are not as big as the other moderate resorts. Also, if you work either in education or nursing or government, they might have some really good discounts for you. But bear in mind that whatever the price, there is a mandatory resort fee and, if you have your own car, parking fees.

Once again, this is the most asked question on this board, but have you considered renting points from Disney Vacation Club members? ON the plus side, you will get into a deluxe resort at very affordable rates, and if you use a reputable rental service like David's DVC Rentals, there will be far less risk. On the minus side, you will really want to get insurance because they can't just give you your money back if you need to cancel.

It would probably be a little more than a moderate, but far less than a deluxe. It would also be more expensive the longer out you try to book a room...but if you wait too long, availability might be scarce. Catch-22.

The DVC Villas in general are spread out, though some of them are way more spread out than others.

If you went this route, I'd suggest Bay Lake, which has a walkway to the Contemporary resort and all of the restaurants contained therein. You'd then also be on the monorail so you will find it easier to make reservations for restaurants at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Also boat access to Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness.

Go to David's DVC Rentals and give them a look. They have a cost calculator so you know exactly how much you'll have to pay. And the cost calculator is all inclusive, no hidden fees.

correcaminos

The DVC Villas in general are spread out, though some of them are way more spread out than others.

If you went this route, I'd suggest Bay Lake...
I'd say it totally varies. CCV, BRV, VGF, PVB, BLT, and BCV are all not spread out really at all. Only AKL, OKW, SSR, and BWV are more spread out.

Also if they are doing studios then I would NOT do BLT at all. The studios are tiny and we had issues with space with one and only 2 people in an ECV. It's a hard pass for us in a studio there now.

slappy magoo

I'd say it totally varies. CCV, BRV, VGF, PVB, BLT, and BCV are all not spread out really at all. Only AKL, OKW, SSR, and BWV are more spread out.

Also if they are doing studios then I would NOT do BLT at all. The studios are tiny and we had issues with space with one and only 2 people in an ECV. It's a hard pass for us in a studio there now.
You're right I forgot the BLT studios are amongst the tiniest. Great location, especially for restaurants and MK access. And also because it's stacked like a high rise it has a lot of rooms without being spread out. But yeah the studio rooms are small.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom