Helicopters Flying Around

WDW Imagineer

Original Poster
The last few times that I have gone to WDW I have noticed in every park that there are helicopters flying around, every 20 minutes or so.

I though disney had closed airspace, so I think the idea of curious rich people with helicopters is not the answer.

Does anyone know what they are for?:veryconfu

WDW1992

It may be security. I was at the Statue of Liberty a few weeks ago and you should have seen the helicopters flying around there!

Maria

I´m not sure Disney has closed airspace, but I may be wrong.... at least when I was there, we could sometimes see some airplanes with propaganda of restaurants and even other parks... I also met a guest once who was a pilot and told me that he loved flying on top of Epcot when Illuminations was going on. :animwink: (I don´t know what kind of plane he flew though)...

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
We noticed the helicopters last year when we were there. I thought it was sightseeing helicopter tours, similar to what they have around here in Niagara Falls. I think I remember seeing the helicopter tours on one of the large tourist strips ( I-drive maybe), but it's possible I could have dreamed that part LOL

Trishnh

Hi, We were just there last week and noticed all the helicopters, too so we asked a CM and they told us they were tour helicopters. I guess a lot of people like to see Disney from above!

Tricia:cool:

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Disney has restricted airspace... to an extent. No ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers are allowed. But Disney can't deny access to the press.

BradleyJ

Originally posted by Bdis86
Disney has restricted airspace... to an extent. No ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers are allowed. But Disney can't deny access to the press.

Since When, Add Banner plans have flown around Disney for Decades.

Or At Least until Church Street Finaly went out of buisness.

That's right, the airspace is not restricted. I have flown a plane right over it at about 2000 ft. AK is restricted below 5000 ft. (I think), because of the animals. We didn't fly over AK because our cessna had a flight ceiling of 3000 ft.

Bdis86

Account Suspended
Disney has restricted airspace... to an extent. No ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers are allowed. That's all I said. And for good reason. And think about it: If airspace wasn't restricted to ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers, wouldn't you see them every day? Of course! After all, A lot of people go to WDW. And densely populated areas outdoors are the best places for things like the GoodYear Blimp.

space42

Originally posted by Bdis86
Disney has restricted airspace... to an extent. No ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers are allowed. That's all I said. And for good reason. And think about it: If airspace wasn't restricted to ad-showing planes/blimps/choppers, wouldn't you see them every day? Of course! After all, A lot of people go to WDW. And densely populated areas outdoors are the best places for things like the GoodYear Blimp.

funny, I used to see those ad planes for Church Street Station all of the time over MK. Perhaps they worked out a deal with Disney?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Class B AirSpace

Cessna's and Choppers.... aka News gathering Purpose, general avaition...etc.. can fly anywhere. As long as they do not enter class B airspace around MCO. ..other wise they will get nailed by FedEx or an American Airlines plane.... only the big boys can enter class B. I guess most of them(choppers and Cessnas) can fly on VFR (visual flight rules 1000ft) over Disney....except AK..then they have to go to IFR Instrument Filght Rules 3000ft. Most of your traffic choppers and planes fly on VFR to see the traffic on I-4...etc. :)

Attachments

• mco.gif
    mco.gif
    213.9 KB · Views: 327

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I forgot... you can fly over WDW..Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...you need to file your flight path with FAA and get clearance...or you will be shot down...LOL...and you need to be cleared, of course, with FBI back ground checks....etc....

pixiedust1010

Disney offers helicopter tours for a very steep price...I'm not sure where the info is, but I'm sure I've seen it. It could have possibly been when I was a CM. It's pretty much in the same league as renting the luxury yacht.

orlandoparks

Originally posted by DMC-12
I forgot... you can fly over WDW..Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...you need to file your flight path with FAA and get clearance...or you will be shot down...LOL...and you need to be cleared, of course, with FBI back ground checks....etc....

Yep, the missles on top of the castle.:lol:

Parkeit

I read somewhere that you can fly over Disney but you can't land on propert because the only way they will let you get it out is to completely disassemble your plane.

joho0

Actually, there's a runway near the TTC that used to be used early on in the life of WDW. The neat things is that it has ruts in the runway and as the plane travels down the runway, they play Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho. True story!

wdwmanager

Originally posted by disney_NYC
That's right, the airspace is not restricted. I have flown a plane right over it at about 2000 ft. AK is restricted below 5000 ft. (I think), because of the animals. We didn't fly over AK because our cessna had a flight ceiling of 3000 ft.

The Air Space above Disney is Restricted. Unless you file a request with Disney or fly above 5,000Ft. Disney isnt very strick about it, but they have the right to file criminal trespassing charges againist anyone that doesnt comply. This information is in the Disney Intranet; any cast member can look it up. It isnt easy to find, but it is there.
Also, The person that said there friend like to fly over epcot and watch illuminations is not telling the truth. The Disney, and another agency clear the sky, and the area is off limits to all air craft under 10,000 feet during the firework shows (ALL PARKS).

Just to pass on some more friendly info....
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom