Heart Broken

PurpleDragon

I did something last week I've never had to do before in my life and it was actually physically painful. We had a trip to WDW booked for June to stay for a week, but last week I had to cancel it. There were some severe storms here in Atlanta back last month and we had some major hail damage to our home and to our vehicles. Because of this we had to pay deductibles for several different claims and thus are currently broke and can't afford our trip to WDW. We had been talking it up to our kids and they were almost as excited as I was to go, especially since its been a couple years since we last visited. The disappointment in their eyes just made my guilt/pain that much worse.

Anyway, I thought sharing would help ease the pain of not getting to go to Disney or any other vacation destination this year. It sucks! :(

MouseDreaming

I am so sorry to hear this. Sometimes, it helps to think of it as postponed, and not canceled. Disney will still be there. It stinks being a grown up, especially when you see the disappointed look, but you are really teaching your kids an invaluable lesson. If you can't you can't. But that's just right now. You get back up, dust yourself off, and save up again.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Oh man...that sucks!:( I am praying for you that finances turn around quickly and you guys can be back there before you know it. At least you can sleep at night knowing you did the right thing. It wouldn't be any fun to go to Disney if it meant neglecting your home and other necessities. You know they say that it's always darkest before the dawn, so have hope that right around the corner something great will come your way {hugs}

Upvote 0

Spikerdink

I can sympathize with your distress. Three years ago when I lost my job, the hardest thing I had to do was to cancel my reservations. I had been 'coming home' twice a year and now with money being tighter than tight, I have to consider myself lucky if I can come back once every 18 months.

Like @MouseDreaming said, consider the trip postponned rather than cancelled. This is also an excellent teachable moment for your kids (if they are old enough to understand) as you explain family finances and opportunity cost. You can also enlist them to help raise money for the next trip. Get a cookie jar, water jug or other container and make it the 'Disney Vacation Fund' place. Have the kids do small jobs for neighbors and contribute the proceeds towards the next trip...if you have a bottle deposit law where you live, have them find cans/bottles and return them for cash... when they see the money growing towards a shared goal, it will teach them the value of saving and working towards something they want....

Sorry to hear about your setback and let's hope your trip gets rescheduled soon!

Upvote 0

Zman-ks

So Sorry. :(
75.gif

Upvote 0

Bobs87

I can imagine how terrible this would be. I had applied for a day either side of a week off from our school holidays and it was denied. When I was told I burst into tears at the thought of not being able to visit! It will be even more special when you do go and each moment cherished more !

Upvote 0

PurpleDragon

Original Poster
Thanks for your sympathies guys. I know WDW will still be there when the time comes for us to visit again. I think more than anything the lack of a vacation after a stressful year is whats taking its toll. As many of you know, going to WDW is a total escape from reality and I was hoping to have that this year since times have been tough as of late. I guess the best I can do for now is continue to visit this site and watch videos and such to get my fix. Thanks again everyone for your compassion and kind words!!

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

I am so so sorry to hear this. I know it has to be heartbreaking I can't even imagine. While I had to cancel my March trip I was able to only postpone it and put it for a couple months back. I can not even imagine having to cancel it right out though. And the lack of a vacation is hard on anyone, my husband never took vacations every year until he met me and now he has issues if he doesn't go so often. I love the fact you escape reality down there and its breaking my own heart knowing you guys won't be this year....but hang in there, think magical thoughts and you will return before you know it...

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yeah life can be a kick in the ...... We've all had set backs cause of the economy, illnesses, just life in general. Don't give up. Get up and start saving for the future. Look forward not back. Dream and plan for whats to come. Just because it was a terrible set back doesn't mean you won't be able to go again. It just makes the next trip more desirable and you will put more into it to make up for the missed one. ;) Get the kids something from the Disney Store and let them know that the next year trip will be even better. Good Luck, we're pulling for you.

Upvote 0

Raven66

Sometimes being an adult just plain blows. We had to cancel a couple of years back, but we are getting the chance to go this year. We made these plans in celebration of our daughter's 16th birthday. My husband works really hard all the time but I put in extra hours over the holidays and put up with a lot of stuff from cranky customers to make this trip happen. I couldn't handle her disappointment again.

I feel for you. But you will get back next year or the year after. Good luck on all your repairs.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom