Health restrictions

Dizneykid

Original Poster
My father in law will be joining us on our Disney trip. He controls his blood pressure with medication. I was surprised to see some rides on the restricted list. Barnstormer, test track, splash mountain and soarin. He was excited to go on those. I don't know what to tell my dad about this. Advice?

HMFan999

While I second Dizneykid's recommendation I also want to point out that Disney's list will very much err on the side of caution. I'm sure they just put anything that would tend to get a person's heart rate up on the list. Since you're elevated up into the air on soarin' that would do it for most people, especially if they have a fear of heights. I can tell you I've visited all of those attractions with people who also have high blood pressure and none of them had any problems, though that of course could be different for any person.

Goofyernmost

I won't tell you what to do, but, I have had high blood pressure (controlled by medication) for the past 25 years. I have gone on everything including the orange side of Mission: Space. The way I interpreted it was, yes, I have high blood pressure when I am not on medication, which is never, so unless I go off the meds, my BP is normal. Never even questioned it. I would ask the doctor though, because almost none of the rides that you mentioned are that intense that it should be a problem unless he has some type of unreasonable fear of a certain type of ride.

DisneyBergh

I second goofyernmost. I have high blood pressure. Controlled with medication. While I certainly suggest running it by his doctor, there really isn't anything I can't do as long as my condition is under control! If I hadn't been taking my meds, sure ToT probably would have killed me o_O but on my meds, it just scared the crud out of me :bawling: (I jest, because TWDC certainly overkills the warnings to stave off lawsuits, but that doesn't mean they aren't there for a reason!)

DisneyFreak

Disney is protecting itself by giving a warning to guests suffering from these health conditions which the ride may aggravate. Ask your doctor if he/she thinks these attractions could cause any problems.

LeighM

I'm 38 but have had very high blood pressure since I was 18 and it's been controlled with medication for over 10 years. Most of the rides do not bother me. If it doesn't trigger a secondary issue - like vertigo or claustrophobia - then I'm totally fine. For example, I rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with only a slight case of motion sickness as a result. But Spaceship Earth, even being slow moving, triggered my claustrophobia and it was not fun fighting an anxiety attack while on the ride. Even after the anxiety dissipated, the blood pressure stayed high for hours. I've never even tried doing Expedition Everest or Tower of Terror and I've avoided Soarin because of the vertigo. If he doesn't have a secondary issue, your father should be fine. But if he's really worried then he should ask his doctor and put his mind at ease.

jloucks

A lot of times, it is just a liability waiver. Like "don't stick your *whatever* in the alligators mouth"

Think of the flip side, if you did ride any ride with HBP, and something happened, you could more easily sue if there were not a sign.

...because it is really hard to prove that the ride played no role in the cardiac incident. Best to flag them all no-go legally.

The signs at Six Flags list all sorts of things that would prevent you from riding on some of the calmest rides. Not just heart conditions, but pregnancy, back problems, neck problems, etc.

Rumrunner

My father in law will be joining us on our Disney trip. He controls his blood pressure with medication. I was surprised to see some rides on the restricted list. Barnstormer, test track, splash mountain and soarin. He was excited to go on those. I don't know what to tell my dad about this. Advice?
I am sure Disney does that for its own protection but your father in law will have to decide the severity of his condition. My guess is a lot of people with high blood pressure and heart conditions ride these rides. Getting advice from doctor would be recommended as some have already suggested.

HwdStudio

Please don’t take any chances and listen to anyone on this forum that tries to give advice and tells you what you want to hear. Speaking to his physician is the only safe way. People can tell you all day long that they have hypertension controlled by meds and “I ride whatever I want”. They have no way of knowing your father in laws condition, severity or medication. There are a multitude of reasons someone with hypertension should steer clear of certain attractions not limited to heart attack or stroke (dizziness comes to mind and can end in a fall). I don’t think anyone hear would try to advise you medically but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'm 38 but have had very high blood pressure since I was 18 and it's been controlled with medication for over 10 years. Most of the rides do not bother me. If it doesn't trigger a secondary issue - like vertigo or claustrophobia - then I'm totally fine. For example, I rode Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with only a slight case of motion sickness as a result. But Spaceship Earth, even being slow moving, triggered my claustrophobia and it was not fun fighting an anxiety attack while on the ride. Even after the anxiety dissipated, the blood pressure stayed high for hours. I've never even tried doing Expedition Everest or Tower of Terror and I've avoided Soarin because of the vertigo. If he doesn't have a secondary issue, your father should be fine. But if he's really worried then he should ask his doctor and put his mind at ease.
Expedition Everest is the second worst ride for me due to claustrophobia. I love coasters so I never would have guessed. But there is a portion of the ride that is in the pitch black and it was very hot. My recipe for disaster is tight space, dark, and warm. I actually reached over and said something to my husband because I felt the panic coming. Thankfully that portion didn't last long. Mission space is a no way for me. Tried it once years ago and barely made it through due to the tight space. I can do everything else but if it's a ride that has a shoulder harness I just sit up a little taller so it locks slightly above my shoulders such as the old Stiches Great Escape.

LeighM

Expedition Everest is the second worst ride for me due to claustrophobia. I love coasters so I never would have guessed. But there is a portion of the ride that is in the pitch black and it was very hot. My recipe for disaster is tight space, dark, and warm. I actually reached over and said something to my husband because I felt the panic coming. Thankfully that portion didn't last long. Mission space is a no way for me. Tried it once years ago and barely made it through due to the tight space. I can do everything else but if it's a ride that has a shoulder harness I just sit up a little taller so it locks slightly above my shoulders such as the old Stiches Great Escape.

Those conditions will quickly trigger claustrophobia in me as well. That's what got me on Spaceship Earth of all places.

Goofyernmost

Please don’t take any chances and listen to anyone on this forum that tries to give advice and tells you what you want to hear. Speaking to his physician is the only safe way. People can tell you all day long that they have hypertension controlled by meds and “I ride whatever I want”. They have no way of knowing your father in laws condition, severity or medication. There are a multitude of reasons someone with hypertension should steer clear of certain attractions not limited to heart attack or stroke (dizziness comes to mind and can end in a fall). I don’t think anyone hear would try to advise you medically but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
There is a difference between "giving advice" and relating a like experience. I know I said to ask the doctor because we do not know what other possible problems exists along with the BP problem. For me, the only other thing I had was COPD, which actually was more of a problem for me, but, even that was solvable. I felt short of breath basically because the G-forces were pushing against my chest cavity. I solved it by breathing through my mouth during the takeoff and acceleration. No problem after I figured that out. But, yes, by all means do consult. All we did was say that we have a similar problem and this is what we found out in connection with our own health issues.

HwdStudio

There is a difference between "giving advice" and relating a like experience. I know I said to ask the doctor because we do not know what other possible problems exists along with the BP problem. For me, the only other thing I had was COPD, which actually was more of a problem for me, but, even that was solvable. I felt short of breath basically because the G-forces were pushing against my chest cavity. I solved it by breathing through my mouth during the takeoff and acceleration. No problem after I figured that out. But, yes, by all means do consult. All we did was say that we have a similar problem and this is what we found out in connection with our own health issues.
I never said otherwise. I said in my post that I don’t think anyone here would try to give medical advice. My point was to stress the seriousness of the issue and and I think I’ve done that so peace out.

21stamps

My 67 year old father, with high blood pressure and past heart surgery/pig valve, recently rode a bunch of high thrill coasters/rides at an amusement park. He’s fine.

However, I was furious at him for doing so, and stressed for the next 24 hours, calling and checking in.

Have your father in law talk to his doctor. There’s a huge difference between an unknown issue, and a medicated issue. More than likely anything at Disney will be fine, but get the doctor’s opinion first and foremost.

Paper straw fan

My 67 year old father, with high blood pressure and past heart surgery/pig valve, recently rode a bunch of high thrill coasters/rides at an amusement park. He’s fine.

However, I was furious at him for doing so, and stressed for the next 24 hours, calling and checking in.

Have your father in law talk to his doctor. There’s a huge difference between an unknown issue, and a medicated issue. More than likely anything at Disney will be fine, but get the doctor’s opinion first and foremost.

They still do pig valves for valve replacement?

I was a bit apprehensive about my 70 something parents riding rides at USF- but they loved them and I had to talk my dad out of doing the Rip Rockin coaster. Fun times

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom