head-scratching quote:

JusticeDisney

Holy guacamole,
I guess I need to break it down.

The author of the quote is telling us that he loves the Universal parks because they can be toured in very little time.....as if spending a long time in a park would be unwanted.

Funny, are we not going to parks for enjoyment --and the longer that enjoyment lasts the better? I like a park that can take a long time to see due to its comprehensiveness. The longer the better.
If I'm in prison I want a short stay or if I'm at the DMV I want an abbreviated visit.
Easy to follow, really: ordinarily if something is desirable I want it to last. If something is undesirable I want to end quickly.
You’re missing a very obvious (well, at least to most people) point. If the reason you’re in a park longer is because you’re waiting in tremendously long lines all day long, that’s not more enjoyable. Let me try this another way. For almost any sane person, it would be much more fun to experience 10 attractions in 3 hours than it would be to experience 5 attractions in 6 hours.

Weather_Lady

The meaning of the quote is in the eye of the beholder.

Either it means the speaker is relieved because they weren't enjoying Universal as much as Disney World and thus wanted it to be over quickly (the meaning that the OP champions), or else it could mean (as several others pointed out, and were unfairly derided by the OP) that the speaker places such value on "touring speed" that they prefer Universal's more efficient touring over whatever other park attributes there might be, even if Disney excels in those other areas

It's not so much a headscratcher of a quote as it is a quote that lacks sufficient context to understand which interpretation best reflects what the speaker meant. As someone who would rather stand in line for 5 minutes in a generic queue for a "pretty good" attraction than wait for an hour in the most immersive and gorgeous setting for an "excellent" attraction, I can understand why the latter interpretation would make perfect sense to many.

Last edited:

imperius

I think the issue is thinking all Disney parks are full day parks. Hollywood Studios is a joke. Epcot has very little attraction wise so a family wanting to actually ride things is done quickly and AK is a relatively short day if you’re not spending 4 hours in line for FOP.

FettFan

TRANSLATION: Crowds at Disney are jamming up the ride flow.

tenor.gif

MaryJaneP

Come on, folks. If the OP wants to state an opinion that UPO is easier to navigate, the OP is entitled to that opinion. If that opinion means a few less people in line at WDW while they visit UPO, do you really think that is going to affect either company's P&L. Seems unlikely. May result in slightly shorter lines at WDW, something we are in favor of.

TrojanUSC

Even the VIP tour program, which is roughly the same price at each park, makes Universal a much better deal. You get immediate, front-of-line access for whatever you want. At Disney you're stuck in the Fastpass+ queue. Hope you enjoy spending $500/hour to wait in a 45 minute FP line for TSM or FoP.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Even the VIP tour program, which is roughly the same price at each park, makes Universal a much better deal. You get immediate, front-of-line access for whatever you want. At Disney you're stuck in the Fastpass+ queue. Hope you enjoy spending $500/hour to wait in a 45 minute FP line for TSM or FoP.
For perspective, we rode FoP with FPs thrice over two days in late Sept -- walked directly to the sort, and never had to wait any longer than about 10 minutes max once we got there.

Trackmaster

I think that the premise of the OP is accurate. The conclusion that Universal is superior to Disney is dubious.

I think that if you go to Universal Monday-Thursday outside of the holidays and summer and school breaks, the park is usually dead. Disney is pretty crowded all year long seven days a week, and the crowds get unreal during the breaks and holidays.

And I've thought that Universal is actually pretty undersized myself. If you go when everything is a walk-on, you'll run out of stuff to do very quickly. Eventually the only thing left to do is do the Hulk 10 times in a row.

I honestly think that Universal Florida should just be one park. Its very hard to justify it as two parks... especially when they occupy the same plot of land and they jam the hoppers down your throat so park. Its hard to put your finger on what exactly makes the parks separate. Combining them when justify the park as a theme park, as separately they are pretty small.

But really, the only thing that makes Disney seem big are the crowds. Assuming that you as a grown adult don't need to see actors dressed up in a fair-tale costume trying to convince you that they're characters and you can do your own thing for food, you can run through each park in less than two hours and have time for re-rides. There really aren't a crazy amount of rides. What throttles the day and makes the parks seem bigger are the crowds, lines, and dead-ends in the park that slow you down.

macefamily

Sorry. Standing in a hot, humid 120 minute queue with screaming children and BO wafting about is NOT something I want to savor. I believe the quote implies the Universal experience is more efficient. More attractions per allotted time.

Trackmaster

Sorry. Standing in a hot, humid 120 minute queue with screaming children and BO wafting about is NOT something I want to savor. I believe the quote implies the Universal experience is more efficient. More attractions per allotted time.

No, I just don't think that Universal gets the visitors that Disney does. Its less crowded because its less popular. Getting on a conveyor belt to be taken from screen to screen only goes so far.

BASS

No one is arguing--at least I don't think--that Universal is better than Disney. Objectively, attendance at all of Disney's 4 parks exceeds any and all of Universal's. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy Universal for what it is. It's a quick weekend trip where you can likely do and see everything in 2 days. It's just a totally different experience.

Trackmaster

No one is arguing--at least I don't think--that Universal is better than Disney. Objectively, attendance at all of Disney's 4 parks exceeds any and all of Universal's. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy Universal for what it is. It's a quick weekend trip where you can likely do and see everything in 2 days. It's just a totally different experience.

Yeah, I think I agree with you. Only thing I disagree on is that you probably want to go to Universal on a weekday. If you go on a Monday-Thursday you can do both parks and it will be dead. It gets pretty crowded on Saturday or Sunday. I wouldn't bother on a Saturday or Sunday.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I honestly think that Universal Florida should just be one park. Its very hard to justify it as two parks... especially when they occupy the same plot of land and they jam the hoppers down your throat so park. Its hard to put your finger on what exactly makes the parks separate. Combining them when justify the park as a theme park, as separately they are pretty small.

I could almost say the same thing about Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think the issue is thinking all Disney parks are full day parks. Hollywood Studios is a joke. Epcot has very little attraction wise so a family wanting to actually ride things is done quickly and AK is a relatively short day if you’re not spending 4 hours in line for FOP.
I could almost say the same thing about Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
If all you think is important in theme parks is rides, then yes, this makes sense. But that's not all I look for in a theme park. I could easily spend a day and a half just doing Epcot with all the entertainment, etc. Even with a FoP FP, I could easily stay a whole day in AK - it's a beautiful park and it's theming, entertainment, and trails are such that it becomes very easy to spend a full day there. The only Disney park I'd concede is not a full day park ATM is DHS, and that's about to change, IMO. Yes, the parks could use more rides, but at least for me, if I wanted just rides, I'd go to Six Flags.

imperius

A family with small children wants rides and would think like this. They are not sitting in France looking at the architecture.

mikejs78

Premium Member
A family with small children wants rides and would think like this. They are not sitting in France looking at the architecture.
I have two young kids. Epcot is my DS8's favorite park (my younger son is too young to remember his trip to WDW). So yeah, we aren't admiring the architecture, but we are watching shows, doing the KidCot stops, doing Agent P's adventure in the different WS pavillions, spending time building cars at the TT post-show, playing the games at M:S, spending time in ImageWorks, meeting Baymax Joy, and Sadness, exploring the acquarium at Seas...

SirWillow

This is where I can tell I'm not like many of the people who frequent boards and sites like this. :)

Even with all of the construction going on, I found DHS to have more than enough in it to keep me busy. Visiting the park open to close last Jan, and went 1:30pm to close in Oct, and still ended up missing several things I wanted to see and/or do, including the Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid shows, and Indiana Jones. And I guess according to @Trackmaster I'm not a grown adult since I love visiting with the characters. Thinking about it, I guess no one in my family is, even though we're all college grads (yes, even my kids). If that's the case, I'd rather not be "grown up" :-D

And I can easily make the Universal parks full day experiences each. Ok, Islands is a bit of a stretch when it's cool and the water rides are closed, but otherwise... :) and we really enjoy the Universal parks. In fact, that may be the thing my daughter is looking forward to the most when we're in the area next month- she can't wait to visit Universal.

I don't know, maybe it's because I enjoy everything about parks- the rides, the shows, the atmosphere, the details, the entertainers, the unexpected things, the people watching. Honestly, I feel a bit sorry for those that think of some of the parks listed as half day parks because I feel they must be missing so much that I see and enjoy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom