He Proposed to Me in Disneyland!

flipadeeflop

Original Poster

Josh and I met a while back when we were both writing for WDWRadio. We just chatted casually for a while, but when Josh started his own Disney fan site www.ModernMouseRadio.com (where I am posting our full trip report, though I will most likely copy and paste it here as well!), I wanted to be a part of it, so we started talking more seriously in April 2013. One thing led to another and we realized we were sort of meant to be together. Not only had we formed a great friendship, but we were quickly seeing that our love for Disney wasn't our only mutual interest. We both listened to the same music genres, were the same age, had eerily similar childhoods, and just had the same general outlook and goals for our lives. We spent a week long vacation together after dating for about 6 months, and realized it was time to move in together, so I made the move from MA to CO to be with the man who would eventually become my fiance. We planned a road trip back to MA for December 2013 to get me a little more moved in and to pick up my dog Flip from my parents' house. Back in CO, we started getting serious about planning our Disneyland trip, and eventually took it in early May.

The following took place on May 4, 2014 at Disneyland:

box.jpg

I had no idea that Josh had an engagement ring hidden in his pocket all day (and apparently it was stabbing his leg because of the box he chose to store it in). I mean, I HOPED he was going to propose during our trip, but he was very good at keeping things a secret.

He didn’t know how he was going to propose, but he had in his mind that it would be by the wishing well on the side of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle inside Disneyland Park. I’ve always said I thought that location was very romantic and that I hoped we could take some pictures by it – little did I know that Josh made a mental note of that and was planning on proposing there! We are both sort of “go with the flow” if plans change (well, HE is that way, I am that way pretty much only when it comes to being on vacation or otherwise having advanced notice) so, he was open to proposing anywhere anytime as long as it was the first day we were in Disneyland so that we could celebrate the rest of the trip.

All day we were trying to get over to Snow White’s Wishing Well, but it was either crowded full of people or roped off due to a parade or show that was about to happen. Otherwise, we didn’t really get to have any intimate moments, so no proposal happened just yet. It was just about time for the Fireworks show “Magical” to start. It was probably the best fireworks show I’ve ever seen. We stood close to center in front of the castle, and though both of us are short, there were only children in front of us so we saw just fine. Josh stood behind me for the whole show and held me, but he had the ring in his hand THE WHOLE TIME! I had NO idea that his hand was clenched like that the whole time. (After he told me that detail I said, “If I were you, I wouldn’t have even been able to see what was happening in the show because I would have been so nervous and focused on the ring!”)

After the show, we walked over to the Wishing Well and there was another couple there. We hung around for a while, made a wish with a dime (I wished he would propose!) and when we threw it in, the fountain effects in the nearby water pool started up. It was Snow White singing her wishing well song and some fish spouted water and rotated in a circle. It was very pretty.

Another family came by, so it stopped feeling romantic, so we walked down the pathway a few steps to a little secluded area in front of the wishing well’s pool. Josh stopped me and hugged me (ring still in hand). We kissed a bit and hugged and said that it was the most perfect vacation and that we didn’t want to be with anyone else. He said “Do you want to get married?” I said, “Yes, of course I do,” and he slipped the ring into my hand. I started crying of course, and then he started tearing up. Then, we rode Space Mountain.

So, here’s my favorite photo we took a few days later to “recreate” the moment, even though some may say the Space Mountain photo was enough:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom