Have you seen what the Matterhorn is going through?

DiscoveryTank

Original Poster
The Matterhorn, a classic Disneyland attraction.
If you remember what happened a few months ago, well let me explain. Chunks of the Matterhorn fell off and landed on the track before the park opened and the roller coaster was closed for about a day. In a recent construction update, it has been found that Disney has opened up the mountain by a little (can someone put it in the comments for me). But you can see a little bit of the decayed wood for the structure and it looks awful.
So Disney does know what is happening and soon the Matterhorn may close (January?) to fix the wooden support beams if not replace them with better material. But I would love a full renovation to this ride which don't expect that until a New Fantasyland since Tomorrowland is getting the attention (Goodbye Fry rocks). This could maybe be a minor fix and slowly happen for a few months then the ride may close in the late 2020's for a renovation.
Anybody agree.

Phroobar

The Matterhorn, a classic Disneyland attraction.
If you remember what happened a few months ago, well let me explain. Chunks of the Matterhorn fell off and landed on the track before the park opened and the roller coaster was closed for about a day. In a recent construction update, it has been found that Disney has opened up the mountain by a little (can someone put it in the comments for me). But you can see a little bit of the decayed wood for the structure and it looks awful.
So Disney does know what is happening and soon the Matterhorn may close (January?) to fix the wooden support beams if not replace them with better material. But I would love a full renovation to this ride which don't expect that until a New Fantasyland since Tomorrowland is getting the attention (Goodbye Fry rocks). This could maybe be a minor fix and slowly happen for a few months then the ride may close in the late 2020's for a renovation.
Anybody agree.
See this thread.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/concerns-about-the-matterhorn.960563/

Ismael Flores

there is way to much drama in regards to this, if the wood was decaying the whole ride would be shut down right now.
that area probably saw some damaged due to the proximity of the waterfall and the supports that held up the fake facade came loose from that cross section of wood in that area.
They most likely left it expose for a while so that they can evaluate at what time they would be the best time to close it and replace it. that way they it would not be closed during the holiday period meanwhile the structure airs out any humid areas.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I'm not sure what wood people are seeing? The mountain is a steel building. There isn't any wood in it.

d8f1a2f0d31dc44f84b7cb998faca775.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I thought this attraction went down every year to drain and clean. I remember somewhere seeing the logs out and channels drained.

el_super

I'm not sure what wood people are seeing? The mountain is a steel building. There isn't any wood in it.

There is a lot of wood inside the Matterhorn. The frame is steel, but the wood formed the base that the chicken wire/cement shell was attached to. You can see it if you look up photos of the interior.

Back in the late 90s they started to replace some of the wood but it required the Matterhorn to be down for five months a year.

Sailor310

I had a friend who worked at DL years ago. Once a year he would start at the top of the Matterhorn and go down the inside, inch by inch, looking for water intrusion to keep it from ruining the wood. If they found a leak, they would seal up inside and out. I asked him if they did something like a pull test to ensure the concrete wouldn't come off the wood. He said 'no'.
I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped that kind of thorough maintenance.

Phroobar

I had a friend who worked at DL years ago. Once a year he would start at the top of the Matterhorn and go down the inside, inch by inch, looking for water intrusion to keep it from ruining the wood. If they found a leak, they would seal up inside and out. I asked him if they did something like a pull test to ensure the concrete wouldn't come off the wood. He said 'no'.
I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped that kind of thorough maintenance.
Why would they do a pull test on the concrete? They would have to do every surface of the mountain. No one does that to every other building in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom