Have you ridden Big Thunder Mountain lately?

DfromATX

Original Poster
We got back from our trip in June. BTMR seemed new and improved! Did they refurbish it or something? Maybe it's just my memory, but the ride seemed more smooth, our little train car seemed newer, and the ride itself even seemed longer than I remembered. My whole family noticed it. Just wondering.

CoreNovawarAMM

There have been some minor refurbishments that I’ve noticed. One: the lap bars are newer. Two: the ride itself is WAY smoother than it used to be. Three: Since it’s smoother than it has been, the ride seems a bit faster than before (especially if one rides toward the back of the train).

KanakoS

If Disneyland counts, then yes. I live in the SF bay area, and Disneyland is only 6 hours away if I make sure to go early.

CoreNovawarAMM

Not sure I ever noticed a real difference. Can you elaborate on that? Thanks!
The spots where the front-versus-back is most obvious on the (I forgot what the technical term is) hills. Like the last one where you are in the cave where it sounds like the rocks are falling on you. The front of the train is down the other side and part-way up the next regular hill before the “chain” lets go and the train starts moving fast again.

JusticeDisney

The spots where the front-versus-back is most obvious on the (I forgot what the technical term is) hills. Like the last one where you are in the cave where it sounds like the rocks are falling on you. The front of the train is down the other side and part-way up the next regular hill before the “chain” lets go and the train starts moving fast again.
That makes sense, thanks!

CaptainJackNO

Oh, but when that train engages with the chain lift and that chain lift catches, the jolt can sometimes give you a sharp pain in the back. Usually happens on the outside lifthill. Ouch! Love BTMRR, but I can do without that jolt.

crxbrett

Same here. The back of the train provides the best experience, and ironically the front provides the worst.

There is one plus to sitting in the very front, even though I prefer the back - you can usually enjoy more of the scenery around you and enjoy the landscape as you go up and crest the hill and see more details in the front since it kind of just slowly rolls down the first half of the hill. Disneyland's has a little bit more to see than DW's on the lift hills, so I would say the pro of sitting in the front isn't quite as much then at the MK's Big Thunder

I've also noticed on DL's 3rd lift hill you get to see the beginning of the explosion where the lantern ignites the fuses but you miss the final explosion; where as in the back you miss the initial lighting of the fuses but get to see the final, big explosion occur. So there's slight differences to what you see on that version for the 3rd lift hill.

For thrills and overall experience, towards the back is definitely the best though like you said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom