Have we done this video, yet? Fight Breaks Out at Walt Disney World Ferry

MissingDisney

The little girl wearing her Mickey ears headband, covering her ears and literally placing herself in between grown a— adults fighting to try and break it up, then clinging to the backpack of a person as they all tumble out of the shot, with none of those adults ushering her to safety, or even making sure that she was with them, makes me sick.
Suffice it to say whatever great memories she had from that day were obliterated in a few seconds.

ImperfectPixie

The little girl wearing her Mickey ears headband, covering her ears and literally placing herself in between grown a— adults fighting to try and break it up, then clinging to the backpack of a person as they all tumble out of the shot, with none of those adults ushering her to safety, or even making sure that she was with them, makes me sick.
Suffice it to say whatever great memories she had from that day were obliterated in a few seconds.
Yup...the adults in these situations rarely think about their children while it's unfolding...it's very sad. All it takes is a split second to look at your kid and reverse course.

Minnesota disney fan

Disney is not responsible for this sort of behaviour. One can blame the company for many things, but not for violent guests.
Some of it is disney's fault. All the cut backs, increase in the price of everything, and all done over and over these past few years. Human nature puts all this together and the reality hits of lines, frustration all around, waiting from the morning til 2pm for a preordered hot dog, just a number of "things" that add to the frustration. Plus the fact everyone is paying ALot of money just to be there. I've seen poor behavior increase as the crowd levels increase, the lines increase, the prices increase.
Of course, they are not responsible for violent guests, but put all the frustrations together and some people can't handle it. I've also seen the entitlement card played too. "I;ve paid all this money and I will cut this line or I will push my way past everyone to beat them to 7DMT". Maybe they didn't see it coming? But it seems to be happening more frequently at the "magical place on earth".

LittleBuford

Some of it is disney's fault. All the cut backs, increase in the price of everything, and all done over and over these past few years. Human nature puts all this together and the reality hits of lines, frustration all around, waiting from the morning til 2pm for a preordered hot dog, just a number of "things" that add to the frustration. Plus the fact everyone is paying ALot of money just to be there. I've seen poor behavior increase as the crowd levels increase, the lines increase, the prices increase.
Of course, they are not responsible for violent guests, but put all the frustrations together and some people can't handle it. I've also seen the entitlement card played too. "I;ve paid all this money and I will cut this line or I will push my way past everyone to beat them to 7DMT". Maybe they didn't see it coming? But it seems to be happening more frequently at the "magical place on earth".
You frame things in such a way that one would think that those visiting Disney are somehow required to be there. I could get on board with some of what you're saying if you were talking about a place or service that is all but unavoidable in the course of daily and professional life (markets, post offices, public transportation, airports, etc.), but I find it extremely difficult to understand how anyone can seriously maintain that the need to preorder an overpriced hotdog in a theme park is a reason to get frustrated.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I can't see what Disney can do to mitigate that.

Simple:

"Any aggressive act towards another guest or Cast Member will result in expulsion from the Walt Disney World Resort. No refunds for unused room nights or tickets will be given. The offending party will receive a lifetime ban. The Orlando Sheriff's Office will be notified and The Walt Disney Company will prosecute any violation to the fullest extent of the law".

They'll have to make a few examples out of people. But once they do. It will stop.

Last edited:

zombiebbq

Does Disney actively advertise a stress free experience or are consumers just that stupid?
I don't mean to be rude to such visitors but, the latter...I know a good number of people in my wider social circle who would gladly go on a Disney vacation and probably couldn't name all 4 parks, and might not bother to learn ahead of time.

People on these forums are outliers, many go to Disney with only a vague idea of what Disney is about, and know that it's "crowded". Minimal planning. Add to their lack of understanding/planning the already stressful experience a Disney vacation is, throw in alcohol/cranky kids/heat/etc. and it's a recipe for disaster.

It's never okay for people to behave in such a manner, but I can totally see the reasons why people are snapping. As Disney gets ever more popular, you're going to get increasingly larger numbers of unprepared guests.

SteveAZee

Simple:

"Any aggressive act towards another guest or Cast Member will result in expulsion from the Walt Disney World Resort. No refunds for unused room nights or tickets will be given. The offending party will receive a lifetime ban. The Orlando Sheriff's Office will be notified and The Walt Disney Company will prosecute any violation to the fullest extent of the law".

They'll have to make a few examples out of people. But once they do. It will stop.
It might curtail it. Getting this message to the people most in need of hearing it could be difficult.

Minnesota disney fan

You frame things in such a way that one would think that those visiting Disney are somehow required to be there. I could get on board with some of what you're saying if you were talking about a place or service that is all but unavoidable in the course of daily and professional life (markets, post offices, public transportation, airports, etc.), but I find it extremely difficult to understand how anyone can seriously maintain that the need to preorder an overpriced hotdog in a theme park is a reason to get frustrated.
I;m not framing things in any way, LOL.
This is a discussion board and we all have different viewpoints, and I respect your thoughts.
But I've said all I want to and I am not one to argue on here; just express your viewpoints.
Have a magical day:)

Goofyernmost

I suspect you don't spend money you don't have, such as unnecessary credit card debt or using part of a home equity loan to fund a vacation.
I have, but not with todays prices. You are somewhat correct though. I have walked on the edge of the envelope many times, but tried my best never to exceed what I either had, or knew I would have quickly.

LittleBuford

I;m not framing things in any way, LOL.
This is a discussion board and we all have different viewpoints, and I respect your thoughts.
But I've said all I want to and I am not one to argue on here; just express your viewpoints.
Have a magical day:)
I think you've misunderstood what I mean by "framing". Anyone who posts anything here that is a subjective opinion—who expresses a viewpoint, to borrow your own language—is framing things in a certain way. Your framing and mine just happen not to align.

I wish you a magical day also.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I went to an all-boys Catholic high school. So was first period. Fighting over the girls at the all-girls Catholic high school that was next door.

ETA: You needed a "spotter" to go over the fence. So we traveled in packs.
I started school in a Catholic Elementary School. 1st grade was boys and girls together in the same class. 2nd through 8th it became all boys and the girls went to the girls school across the street. High School was all boys, but I only went one year before we moved to another state and I elected to go to a public school. No complaints from my parents because then they didn't want to pay tuition anymore. I guess that boys started to get pretty randy by 7 years old and so we had to separate the genders to keep the dirty minds in check.

I can tell you now that High School was a huge adjustment, a welcomed one, but stressful. Other then my Mother I had no exposure of time with the female animal. It was totally freaky to me. I had a girlfriend almost from the start but that was because I lived only 4 houses from her. I still never got over the stigma until college. I never forgave them for basically scaring the hell out of me when it came to male/female relationships. I guess I did get over it long enough to get married and partnered in producing two great kids, but without applying the effort to my brain it remained a problem for years.

Sir_Cliff

I’ve yet to see a fist fight break out but almost every trip I’ve been to WDW I’ve seen yelling, screaming and throwing of drinks between family members.

It’s probably never just 1 thing but going to a theme park is tiring - you’re walking miles, waiting in lines, hungry and most of the year in the heat. The high cost of a Disney vacation definitely contributes also, I know this because I’ve felt this way especially when you’re talking about a trip that for many you can only take every couple of years. Everyone wants that perfect vacation where you felt like you did it all.
Yeah, I feel like at least some bad behaviour has always been fairly common for all the reasons you mention, particularly amongst families. I have burned into my brain a poor little girl in 1994 looking like she was about to burst into tears while dressed up as a princess getting really harshly berated by her father on the monorail because she just couldn't wait and now they were going to use up one of their full days for just a few hours at the Magic Kingdom. Still don't understand the logic of any aspect of that scenario. Not quite a fight, but nonetheless...

Don't know if the fights have gotten worse or more frequent, but one thing I'll say about this general discussion is that I don't think people are stupid for not realising Disney is stressful or a holiday that requires a ton of research and planning. It's not Paris, Rome, or a hike to Machu Picchu, but a bunch of theme parks and resort hotels in Florida where the whole sales pitch is that you go to stay and play in the magic. We all know the reality is different, but I can imagine a lot of people would assume that if it isn't just escapist fun, what would be the point? So I don't really blame people who get a shock at the amount of time and effort you have to invest into seeing what you want to see and how miserable the experience can be if you just show up expecting to have fun.

For some reason, Disney seems intent in leaning into the whole experience requiring more time and planning as well as money.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom