Have they ever cancelled fireworks on short notice at WDW before

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
I know at Disneyland sometimes fireworks have to be cancelled or stopped mid-show cause of Santa Ana Winds. But it leaves to me wonder, have their ever been any cancellations due to inclement weather or technical difficulties at Walt Disney World before? I haven’t seen any videos of a cancellation before aside from one Summer Nightastic show. So, have their been any known cancellations of a fireworks show at Magic Kingdom, Epcot or HWS (Besides Fantasmic). It’d be interesting to hear some stories from all of you.

Lilofan

I know at Disneyland sometimes fireworks have to be cancelled or stopped mid-show cause of Santa Ana Winds. But it leaves to me wonder, have their ever been any cancellations due to inclement weather or technical difficulties at Walt Disney World before? I haven’t seen any videos of a cancellation before aside from one Summer Nightastic show. So, have their been any known cancellations of a fireworks show at Magic Kingdom, Epcot or HWS (Besides Fantasmic). It’d be interesting to hear some stories from all of you.
A number of factors including weather and tech difficulties. That's nothing new .

Lilofan

If you want to see unhappy guests try being in a sold out 8K F! show at DHS, then at the last minute the F! show gets cancelled. Nothing but to get up and go home.

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
It is a regular thing during the summer months for storms and wind.
Kind of weird tho as I’ve found several videos online from Disneyland of when fireworks were suddenly stopped cause of high winds. But never from Walt Disney World. Plus, I remember hearing from one person that Florida law stated that once fireworks were loaded in they have to be launched.

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
If you want to see unhappy guests try being in a sold out 8K F! show at DHS, then at the last minute the F! show gets cancelled. Nothing but to get up and go home.
Yep, I’ve heard of that happening, but have never heard of a show like Happily Ever After, Illuminations or Star Wars getting the axe minutes from start because of weather or technical issues

Lilofan

Yep, I’ve heard of that happening, but have never heard of a show like Happily Ever After, Illuminations or Star Wars getting the axe minutes from start because of weather or technical issues
Been there done that. In the lightning capital of the world , Illuminations gets cancelled for lightning.

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
Been there done that. In the lightning capital of the world , Illuminations gets cancelled for lightning.
I remember seeing a video from I think back in 2008. When the winds were so strong because of an approaching Tropical Storm, that they decided to not shoot off fireworks during Illuminations, but go forward with the laser/fountain/light show. It was so awkward

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
Also, I should reiterate, I’ve heard of Disney delaying the show for like an hour or two. But never full blown cancelling it. Also, if anybody has a recorded announcement of a delay or cancellation I would also love to hear that as it’s extremely rare to find one

Lilofan

Also, I should reiterate, I’ve heard of Disney delaying the show for like an hour or two. But never full blown cancelling it. Also, if anybody has a recorded announcement of a delay or cancellation I would also love to hear that as it’s extremely rare to find one
Delaying the fireworks show at Epcot? Highly doubtful. You are aware that the show starts at 9pm most of the year and the park closes at 9pm right?

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
Delaying the fireworks show at Epcot? Highly doubtful. You are aware that the show starts at 9pm most of the year and the park closes at 9pm right?
This is just coming from other people that I’ve heard stories from. Cause In Florida, once they load fireworks In They have to set them off. The only times I have heard Illuminations being completely cancelled was in 2 stories

1. PA/Sound system just completely cut out and they couldn’t figure out how to fix it so they just said ”screw it” and closed the park, lot of people unhappy (2012)
2. Someone accidentally set off the first few seconds of the show and injured like 3 workers. (Unknown)

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I have witnessed them pushing Wishes back about an hour and 15 minutes past park closing and then shooting it off. I have also I have also been there when fireworks have been postponed and then totally cancelled multiple times.

Squishy

This is just coming from other people that I’ve heard stories from. Cause In Florida, once they load fireworks In They have to set them off. The only times I have heard Illuminations being completely cancelled was in 2 stories

1. PA/Sound system just completely cut out and they couldn’t figure out how to fix it so they just said ”screw it” and closed the park, lot of people unhappy (2012)
2. Someone accidentally set off the first few seconds of the show and injured like 3 workers. (Unknown)
There was a incident where DHS had it's star wars galactic blah blah fireworks canceled 2-3 years back as well, lots of unhappy guests.

Edit: Found it

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Delaying the fireworks show at Epcot? Highly doubtful.
It’s happened. The most (infamous) was on the 25th.

I know a (Hallo) Wishes was pushed to half midnight once.

Fant is more likely to be scrubbed. MK and Epcot are normally shown and modified - sometimes on the hoof. We’ve all seen no Tink. I’ve seen HEA during an electrical storm followed by a park evac. I’ve seen Wishes with no rooftop launches.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Not exactly what you’re looking for, but here’s a video of HEA without any fireworks or pyro.

There were strong winds throughout the day, but Disney decided to still show HEA, just without its fireworks — makes for an interesting show I must say, and a unique one.

Also, they cancelled F! that day but still did their Chinese Theater shows, just w/out pyro. I believe EF also went on without fireworks as well iirc.

mattpeto

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but here’s a video of HEA without any fireworks or pyro.

There were strong winds throughout the day, but Disney decided to still show HEA, just without its fireworks — makes for an interesting show I must say, and a unique one.

Also, they cancelled F! that day but still did their Chinese Theater shows, just w/out pyro. I believe EF also went on without fireworks as well iirc.

I was there for that night and had the dessert party package. Disney refunded my money fortunately.

Tacky3663_

Original Poster
Not true.
I’ve heard that from Several cast members in the past. If it’s not a law then it might be Disney’s policy which is why they’d prefer to delay them even if it goes to past midnight. Rather than cancel them entirely. Cause it’s much safer to just fire them off than to unload them.

Last edited:

lightguy

Not true.

Technically you might be correct, but it's kind of semantics. I'm fairly sure it's federal law (ATF) that you can't leave regulated pyro loaded and unattended. So you can either A) unload it all and return it to the magazine, which is dangerous (unloading) and may not be permitted (returning to the magazine), or B) station people at the pyro all night until you do fire it.

Many years ago I worked on a small show at an amusement park and one night a severe thunderstorm came through. Trees were down and I think the park lost power- so they evacuated the park and closed for the night. It was a couple hours before our show was scheduled to start, so we had already loaded the pyro. Once they officially announced the park was closed for the night and everyone was out, we had to fire the pyro. It was a highly automated show and we only had a 3 person run crew at the park (we weren't park employee's- we worked for an outside company contracted for the show)- not enough to babysit the pyro overnight and the next day and then still run the show the next night. We couldn't just blow it all at once (which we really wanted to do- :) ) because you have to make sure each piece fires, but we ran through it in about 60 seconds. It was fun!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom