Have I lost my mind? WDW at Spring break?

Grumpy56

I'm sure I am starting to lose it after spending every spare minute plannig a trip to WDW for the last week of March. We are a military family wanting to take advantage of the Armed Forces Salute, with a 12 year old and a 9 year old. Haven't been to WDW since 1995 and really want it to be special, but suddenly everything seems like it so expensive. I don't mind paying it but I'm afraid the parks will be so crowded we won't enjoy it. Spring break is the only time we can go. Got 8 nights Garden view at the Polynesian for $2078(including taxes) This seems pretty good for peak season and we have always wanted to stay there. We went numerous times back in the early 90's but always stayed at Shades of Green. Guess I'm just wondering if it is all worth it? The plane tickets are high too, due to the season. Any encouragement to go for it would be appreciated!Thanks!

Frontierland CM

As a cast member I can tell you a couple things. Take advantage of the Fast Pass system, it really cuts down on the waiting times. Since you have kids, characters will definitely be the highlight of their trip, especially the little one. There are two great ways to see lots of characters. In Mickey's Toontown Fair, there is a big tent called County Bounty. They have 2 or 3 rooms where you can greet characters, and they only let a certain number of people in at one time, so everyone gets a chance to greet every character. Mickey is in the judges tent, which has a line, but he's there all day long. Another great way to see characters is to do a character breakfast. My favorite is Chef Mickey's, which is on the main concourse of the Contemporary resort. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at wdwcp97@hotmail.com

Have a Magical Trip!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

David

Grumpy, just read your post again and you have all the encouragement you need.
(a) You wanted to go during the Armed Forces Salute. You are doing that (and by the way, we salute you, too)
(b) You have not been since 1995 and you wanted it to be special. Hey, anytime at WDW is special, and think of how much fun your 9 year old will have, since I bet he or she can not remember the '95 trip.
(c) You are staying at the Poly. You said you always wanted to and now you are. It may be a little pricey, but most of the time the things we want do cost more.
(d) You are going during Spring Break. You said this was the only time you could go---so go and enjoy it.
Now, pack those bags, put on those ears and have a great time. You are doing the right thing and you will make special memories, I am sure!

ºOº

Upvote 0

burbur

just go and have fun. i know it's hard not to concentrate on the money aspect of the trip, but don't let it get you down.

and i recommend taking your kids somewhere besides toontown. i personally know that my two little brothers (11 and 9) hated meeting the characters. they had more fun riding kali river rapids and riding r 'n' r than meeting mickey.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i agree with the rest of these fine people! go, have fun, and don't worry about the crowds and money! personaly, i enjoy more of a crowd...preferably not elbow to elbow, though.
but i think you'll see how much fun your kids will be having, and you won't have a problem! not to mention the fun you'll be having! wow! 95'! that was quite a while ago!
definately take advantage of Fast-Pass...but remember, only one Fast-Pass per ticket at one time.
you've definately seemed to have planned everything out great!
just a tip though, make sure you know what your kids want to do! and if there's something they don't want to do, don't make them not matter how much you think they may like it...just try to persuade them some, but no forcing (i've had personal experience in being forced on something...hated it!)
and also remember, if by chance your party gets separated in the parks, make sure you have a plan beforehand! either give them a meeting place, or make sure they know to go to a castmember, which most kids know to go to someone anyway, but just be sure. you can never be too careful!
other than that, take lots of sunblock, lots of film, keep hydrated, and have fun!! i mean, come on! it's not every day you go to Disney World! :animwink:

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

Original Poster
Thanks for all your words of encouragement, I guess I was just having a bit of planning overload, not to mention being blinded by all those zeroes!
I am starting to get excited about this trip! The best part is, my kids know we are going but they don't know we are staying at the Polynesian. They assume that we are going to Shades of Green like we did when we were stationed in Florida. Even though they were young, they both remember the Polynesian (in fact the only request my DD has made is we have to eat at O'hana's!) They are going to be so surprised! They love going to Disney parks.(Even though it's been 7 years since our last WDW trip, we did pass the time by making numerous trips to Disneyland while we were on the West Coast, last time adding CA)
So I have decided to go for it, and do all the special things I can manage. Character meals, fireworks from the CA Grill, water mice (my 12 yro can drive!) the Neverland Club so my DH and I can have a night out, Now I all I have to do is wait. 35 days, but who's counting? Thanks again for all your tips esp. about not forcing kids on to rides they don't want. We took my DD when she was two on Pirates (we didn't force her) but it took her 5 years to get over the drop, still doesn't like Splash Mt!

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

lol! yeah, it took me a while to get over the drop on Pirates too! for a while i wouldn't even ride it cuz of it. finally i decided just to go for it and realized that the drop wasn't as bad as i had first made it out to be! :)
my first trip, in 92...think i was about 7 or 8 then, my parents forced me on Haunted Mansion. i still remember it! i was bawling my eyes out while burying my head in my dad's arm! i would look up every now and then, and it just scared me even more. for years i refused to get back on. finally mom and dad forced me on again. it really bothered me that they hadn't learned their lesson the first time, but i've ridden HM every trip since then. i found that it was a lot more fun when you just scream your lungs out for the heck of it...don't know why, but it is.
but i wasn't trying to say you would actually force your kids on a ride...just wanted to make sure everyone knows that. but i just tell parents that when they take their kids (esp. little ones) for the first time, because of my experience. :)

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

Original Poster
Well, I'm glad you can ride HM now, it's such a fun ride. And yes, I think there are lots of rides where screaming helps, I usually have to laugh hysterically all through Space Mountain to manage it myself. It's a good point though about not forcing kids to do things they're not ready for, a temptation at WDW because you've spent all this money, you may not come back for a long while etc, all the things that can make people do things they normally wouldn't. The worst experience we had with our DD was when she was about 9 at DL. It was when Rocket Rods was first open, we knew it was going to be bad but we just had to ride it once. So we wait for an hour, she is all apprehensive, we keep telling her there's no drops, it's not a roller coaster. After waiting in this interminable line, she gets strapped in, and just starts screaming hysterically. Now this is the the moment you are so glad you are in a Disney park. The CM's were SO good with here, joking and making her feel better about bagging out. And they keeped her company while we and her little brother rode the very boring RR's. We all laughed about how she was the smart one!

Upvote 0
Don't miss watching the fireworks over the MK from the beach at the Polynesian. ...and the electric water parade. You will never be sorry you splurged. Bring cameras!

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

Original Poster
If I am crazy, I'm, just a little disney crazy and that's a good thing!

I am looking forward to watching the fireworks and the elecrtical parade from the Polynesian. One good thing about going at Spring Break is, there will be fireworks every night.

Thanks again for your encouraging words, it's really nice to post here.

Upvote 0

mej

Go and enjoy it - whatever the time of year! I am a teacher, so I can only go to Disney during the hottest, busiest times of the year. It has never been a big deal - the atmosphere is great and we always have a great time.

Upvote 0

DanStat

Not that bad...

The lines really aren't that bad!

I might see you @ the Poly! That's when we're going!

Last year, we went on the traditional Spring Break period, and it really wasn't bad. It was a walk-on on most attractions. I remember the longest wait we had was to get into PoC. It was only like 10 minutes!

You'll enjoy it. I'm positive! :)

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

Original Poster
DisneyPrep,
Thanks for the encoraging words. That's cool that you are going to the Polynesian at the same time. Have you stayed there before? I am really starting to get excited about this trip!

Upvote 0

bearboysnc

Ok...

1. If you can afford to stay at the Poly for 8 days. You shouldn't be worrying about money.

2. If you can't see everything in 8 days... you're doing something wrong.

3. Let the kids call the shots. You'll glow when they tell all their friends they rode Buzz Lightyear 4 times in a row.

4. Slow down, relax, it's a vacation. It'll still be there for another 30 years

Upvote 0

Scar Junior

I'm taking a group of 8 seniors and 2 juniors in high school don during spring break. March 21st-28th. We only have 7 days btI feelI can show them just about everything. I know I can shw them everything (worth doing) at least once.

Teenagers are slow when walking in groups. Need proof- try getting to class on time in high school....you can't cuz the halls are loaded with kids who stop every 5 secnds to talk about someone or something. I am telling my group "Give me the first 4 days to show you everything and hall everywhere and the rest of the time you can do whatever you want."

And since we are all theatre kids, we will be talking to all the people around us in line and on the busses and also in the hotel/at the pool. Most of us are in choir (our HS choir is one of the best HS choirs in Minnesota) and so we might end up busting out with Disney songs on the bus. Infact, people will either end up hating us or loving us... probably depending on if you didn't get to ride space mountain or not.

Spring Break is given alot of crap for being a bad time to go to visit the Mouse. You just have to be smart. The person who started this thead said they haven't been here since '95. So he will have some planning to do. If you know how to work it- you'll be fine!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom