Have ESPN’s Profits Obscured A Mediocre Return On Disney’s Big Acquisitions?

BigTxEars

I think this from the story sums it up nicely

"For the record: Creutz has had a neutral rating on Disney since early 2008. Since then company shares have appreciated 180% while the Standard & Poors 500 was +39%."

:cool:

Star Wars and Marvel will be big winners for Disney IMO.

Even with Lucas screwing up Star Wars with his last three attempts at movie making the license is just huge, imagine with some real talent behind it.

And Marvel is gaining traction in the worldwide mindset, that is a universe with plenty left to tap into.

Thrill

My take: analysts don't know jack.

Marvel was a steal. $4 billion for an absolute box office powerhouse which has plenty left in the tank. (Toss in merchandising and TV, and this sounds like a no-brainer in hindsight.) Lucasfilm is a recent buyout, but it appears that Disney wants Star Wars to be structured a lot like the MCU. With the right people, it's an exact clone of the Marvel deal: a box office behemoth with merchandising and TV potential for $4 billion. There should be little question about whether these two deals were worth it; Marvel practically paid for itself already, and Disney's going to have to fumble quite a bit for Lucasfilm to do anything other than succeed.

Pixar was $7 billion for the most reliable movie studio I've ever seen. Barring Toy Story 3, box office returns have been modest, and Pixar has yet to spawn a new mega-franchise since Cars (which I believe Disney had full control over regardless of the buyout). This might have been an over-pay on the surface, but remember that Pixar was also loaded with talent; namely, John Lasseter. You know, that guy who oversees Disney Animation now. For those who forgot, Frozen made a killing at the box office, and six months later, Disney can't keep Frozen merchandise on the shelves for much longer than a few hours. It's possible that Frozen would have happened without the buyout, but who really knows? If Lasseter is responsible for this, the Pixar buyout is almost certainly a good one. Otherwise, time will tell.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Good analysis, Thrill. It is amazing what a couple years of perspective can do. The Marvel deal looks like such a steal right now that it shocks me that we ever thought Disney had paid a lot for that company.

As for PIxar, I suspect that Finding Dory and Incredibles 2 will be the box office juggernauts that remove any doubt on that one.

Thrill

Good analysis, Thrill. It is amazing what a couple years of perspective can do. The Marvel deal looks like such a steal right now that it shocks me that we ever thought Disney had paid a lot for that company.
The fan reaction to Marvel is actually pretty hilarious about five years later. It's incredible how undervalued Marvel was. Kudos to Iger on that deal. It could very well be his ESPN.
As for PIxar, I suspect that Finding Dory and Incredibles 2 will be the box office juggernauts that remove any doubt on that one.
Problem: after the expiration of the contract, Disney would have had pretty tight control over all of Pixar's IPs. All Pixar had was a right of first refusal for sequel production. It's possible that Pixar could have sniped Toy Story 3, Incredibles 2, Cars 2, etc. from Disney, I suppose.

Matt_Black

The Lucas buyout was an incredible steal. Aside from the IPs, they also snagged Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom