Haunted Mansion vs. Splash Mountain

Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain?

• Total voters

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Splash is a complete ride. It is a dark ride with thrill elements/thrill ride with dark elements, depending on your perspective (which makes it somewhat unique) - it is long enough and diverse enough. If they would have just used that formula with 7DMT....

I love both attractions. HM has all the intangibles, has the history, the better pre-ride, - but Splash is the better ride.

Walt Disney1955

You can ride Haunted Mansion 100 times and still find something new that you missed. That's the beauty of it, I think. It is similar to Pirates that way. The attention to detail on that ride is just spectacular, almost second to none. Then again, Splash is the best log ride you will ever go on. Most log rides at theme parks are basically just around a corner, up a cliff and then they drop you for the splash at the end. Nothing wrong with that, it is a good popcorn ride that has its purpose but nothing else is close to Splash as far as storytelling or being immersed can go. Ripsaw Falls at Universal, Journey to Atlantis at Sea World are two log rides that go a little beyond the whole idea of going up and down but they still don't hold a candle to Splash.

Chef Mickey

Slows? Every time I ride it I end up stopped. Please stay in your seats etc. etc. Doesn't have anything to do with broken effects, broken people trying to get on the ride and the ride stops for them to get on.
That’s why I was saying guest related. Sad, really, that so many guests (not special needs) require special assistance to ride.

Thingamabob

I love both rides and the themes for both the rides are completely different. Splash Mountain however happens to be my favorite WDW ride so it gets my vote. I just enjoy the entire build up of the whole ride to the big splash down.

KimAnnFran

this was really really hard. I wanted to give HM the vote because it's SO LONG STANDING and still packed, but I went with SM. I mean, that ending scene, what's happier after a huge drop?

Both have had mechanical failures that I experienced, and more often in SM than HM, for what it's worth.

Hockey89

Splash Mountain... HM is a good ride for sure but I've always loved Splash... I remember when they were building it and going for the first time.... That's when Disney knew how to build rides...

Hockey89

Splash is a complete ride. It is a dark ride with thrill elements/thrill ride with dark elements, depending on your perspective (which makes it somewhat unique) - it is long enough and diverse enough. If they would have just used that formula with 7DMT....

I love both attractions. HM has all the intangibles, has the history, the better pre-ride, - but Splash is the better ride.
Agreed about the 7DMT part.... That's what that ride should have been....

DisneyJill

I’m a Disneyland local, and I’m always surprised how much better the WDW versions of Splash and HM are (especially Splash, but the extra scenes of in HM make a big difference also, IMO). So, we ride these two a lot when we visit WDW.

This is the hardest poll so far. There are both pitch-perfect (as Tom Bricker likes really say) attractions. They’re both 10/10. In terms of how much I enjoy them, it’s a tie.

If I were forced, I’d use the criterion of “impressiveness” to differentiate them (since I find them equally enjoyable), and give HM the edge because of its illusions/effects. You won’t find a better collection of practical effects anywhere - it’s one brilliantly-executed effect after the other - which makes HM something truly unique.

is DL SM shorter? or is WDW's just...better? :)

Kingoglow

Until they can do away with the issue of stopping the HM ride every time a disabled party decides to board, HM will be the inferior experience. The ride is great, but you always risk your enjoyment of the story being cut off unexpectedly.

Splash is just a better ride experience; water and all.

Marc Davis Fan

is DL SM shorter? or is WDW's just...better? :)

Both. DL’s is slightly shorter, but it also has fewer/smaller/less-detailed show scenes, and the story is nearly impossible to follow. Personally I find the difference between the DL and WDW versions of Splash to be the most significant difference between any two “clone” attractions.

Hoopsters

To start off the many which is the better quality ride polls, I decided to start with a big one! This is a very tough poll. These polls will be the WDW versions of each ride, since this is the Disney World parks section of the forums. I am doing Disneyland and Universal polls in their resceptive forums.

They both are the two best rides in Magic Kingdom. They both are super iconic and are universally loved by all Disney fans. They both are classics but yet could still be considered fresh and modern. They both have catchy songs, so many animatronics, tons of dark ride scenes, and a great story.

Also, both have movies that are universally disliked. Song of the South was banned in the US for it's racism and Haunted Mansion is met with bad reviews and low percentages by movie critics.

Both are super immersive and have top notch theming, but which ride is the better ride in terms of quality? Becoming the 1,000 happy haunt, or splashing down into the briar patch?

Haunted Mansion
Image result for evening
Image result for haunted mansion disney tourist blog

Splash Mountain

Image result for splash mountain flickr

pqo7vfrajop01.jpg
To start off the many which is the better quality ride polls, I decided to start with a big one! This is a very tough poll. These polls will be the WDW versions of each ride, since this is the Disney World parks section of the forums. I am doing Disneyland and Universal polls in their resceptive forums.

They both are the two best rides in Magic Kingdom. They both are super iconic and are universally loved by all Disney fans. They both are classics but yet could still be considered fresh and modern. They both have catchy songs, so many animatronics, tons of dark ride scenes, and a great story.

Also, both have movies that are universally disliked. Song of the South was banned in the US for it's racism and Haunted Mansion is met with bad reviews and low percentages by movie critics.

Both are super immersive and have top notch theming, but which ride is the better ride in terms of quality? Becoming the 1,000 happy haunt, or splashing down into the briar patch?

Haunted Mansion
Image result for evening

Splash Mountain

pqo7vfrajop01.jpg
I would definitely vote for The Haunted Mansion. If I can't ride it during my visit, I feel I haven't had the full Disney experience. I am more attached to the Disneyland version because I lived in SoCal for my first 45 years so I have vivid memories of hiding my face in my father's shirt sleeve (yes, people use to dress up to go to DL) to avoid looking at what was hanging above me in the "stretching room'. It's such a great concept to have a beautiful Lousianna mansion that houses 999 ghosts! I do like a couple of elements to the WDW version..the mysterious footsteps on the staircases and the wonderful enhanced queue. However, Disneyland one ups it with it "Nightmare Before Christmas" theming from Sept.-Jan. --Two rides in one!
One of the main reason I didn't consider Splash Mtn is because I have to admit I don't like to get wet. LOL A light splash is fine (like on Pirates) but I hate getting my shoes wet which has happened on the DL version multiple times. If I ride, it's the last ride of the day. However, the ride's theming is well done. "South of the South" was cutting edge film for its time (including the first African American lead in a Disney film) that most younger generations have never heard of, let alone seen. I have a VHS version stored somewhere. It think it was a mistake to have the film shelved. There have been numerous petitions to have it re-released. Disney just doesn't want the controversy, but Splash Mtn keeps the Br'er Rabbit and friends stories alive. Personally, I think it should be released and allow people to judge for themselves whether it is "racist". There are depictions of African Americans in the film that should make Americans uneasy but that's good because it's better to put a light on it instead of keeping it in the dark. The film can help open up conversations on how race relations were depicted in the past and are today. By the way, the film is distributed outside the U.S. so Disney is still profiting from it.

citcatt1

Haunted Mansion
Image result for evening

Splash Mountain

pqo7vfrajop01.jpg
Haunted Mansion hands down for me! I don't like getting wet!

citcatt1

Just ask to sit in the back 2 rows on Splash. I get barely a drizzle in the back unless I get stuck at the waterfall before the paddle wheel boat scene. The front rows can be a different story depending on the weight distribution of the boat.
I was in the third or fourth row before and my son and I had poncho's on we were ready. The people in row one asked us to switch so we said sure! They got soaked and we we're dry as a bone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom