• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Haunted Mansion to Return with New Enhancements and Magic :(

SuddenStorm

Disney literally has a dead persons skull in pirates of the caribbean too, where's the outrage for that one?

Where's the outrage for anything inside Disneyland?

I hadn't heard anyone comment about Splash Mountain, the auction scene, the hanging corpse, etc. before there announced changes and I've spent a ton of time talking Disneyland online, at the parks, and working there.

After they announced the auction scene a few people were like 'oh yeah, that always bothered me'- but I don't remember it ever being brought up before the announcement.

Anyone with a cursory interest in park history knew Splash was based on Song of the South, but the story was always how Disney removed any insensitive elements when adapting the story to a ride- and I've never actually met someone who thinks the ride is offensive.

The Haunted Mansion is as classic as they come- I'd argue it has a more devoted following than Pirates, even if Pirates is the more popular ride. The Stretching Room is beloved and iconic, and I don't believe there's any actual outrage.

Disney's just preemptively trying to eliminate anything that might cause outrage or offend a visitor at some point in the future- and the park is going to loose a lot of it's more wacky and unique elements because of it.

That said, I did overhear a conversation between two custodial Cast Members in a break area talking about the "babbling sisters" joke that was present in the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland attraction saying it was insensitive or something. But that was removed over 40 years ago so I think Disney is in the clear there.

CaptinEO

Where's the outrage for anything inside Disneyland?

I hadn't heard anyone comment about Splash Mountain, the auction scene, the hanging corpse, etc. before there announced changes and I've spent a ton of time talking Disneyland online, at the parks, and working there.

After they announced the auction scene a few people were like 'oh yeah, that always bothered me'- but I don't remember it ever being brought up before the announcement.

Anyone with a cursory interest in park history knew Splash was based on Song of the South, but the story was always how Disney removed any insensitive elements when adapting the story to a ride- and I've never actually met someone who thinks the ride is offensive.

The Haunted Mansion is as classic as they come- I'd argue it has a more devoted following than Pirates, even if Pirates is the more popular ride. The Stretching Room is beloved and iconic, and I don't believe there's any actual outrage.

Disney's just preemptively trying to eliminate anything that might cause outrage or offend a visitor at some point in the future- and the park is going to loose a lot of it's more wacky and unique elements because of it.

That said, I did overhear a conversation between two custodial Cast Members in a break area talking about the "babbling sisters" joke that was present in the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland attraction saying it was insensitive or something. But that was removed over 40 years ago so I think Disney is in the clear there.
Likewise. It's like Eisner's removal of cigarettes or ******* from old Disney cartoons. There was no outrage, just someone within the company thinking they are doing good.

Kirby86

Likewise. It's like Eisner's removal of cigarettes or ******* from old Disney cartoons. There was no outrage, just someone within the company thinking they are doing good.
To be fair that wasn't just a Disney thing. During that period The Great American smoke out was in full force. Many places were takeing out smoking of their projects and logos. One example is The Pep Boys, they took the cigar out of Mannys mouth in the logo.

Mac Tonight

Having recently returned from Magic Kingdom, I can safely say it was SO nice being able to ride Haunted Mansion in it's original form in November :)

Also, consider me weird, but I kinda found myself preferring their rides layout just a bit more than ours. I also love the added "stretching" sounds in the Stretching Room. On the whole, their version just seemed to have everything working... including that weird, mysterious green swirling light in the Leota seance room on the wall.

Also also, their Constance looks WAY better than ours. What's up with that?

Professortango1

Having recently returned from Magic Kingdom, I can safely say it was SO nice being able to ride Haunted Mansion in it's original form in November :)

Also, consider me weird, but I kinda found myself preferring their rides layout just a bit more than ours. I also love the added "stretching" sounds in the Stretching Room. On the whole, their version just seemed to have everything working... including that weird, mysterious green swirling light in the Leota seance room on the wall.

I do enjoy their HM ride as a whole, but I can't stand their facade, queue, and the animated Hitchhiking Ghosts. I didn't notice anything different about their constance.

90s

I do enjoy their HM ride as a whole, but I can't stand their facade, queue, and the animated Hitchhiking Ghosts. I didn't notice anything different about their constance.
It’s a good fit for Liberty square and more creepy entering from the basement. The ghosts are controversial but I like the different high tech ways they interact with guests

Professortango1

It’s a good fit for Liberty square and more creepy entering from the basement. The ghosts are controversial but I like the different high tech ways they interact with guests
I wish it felt like I was entering through a basement or servant's quarters, but it feels like a door in the side of a fake facade. I don't get the feeling that the MK Mansion is a real building with a front door. And ghosts before entering the Mansion ruins the flow of the ride for me. And the end as well. The ride has a character and style that the projection ghosts don't seem to match. It would be like putting screens along Pirates' ending lift hill with animated version of Jack and Barbosa making faces.

Mac Tonight

We got a free Lightning Lane pass so we skipped the mess that is the outside of their HM. Honestly though, I don’t find the Hitchhiking Ghost part at the end as egregious as everyone else does apparently. My wife found it hilarious. Having said that, I’m fine with it not coming to DL.

Constance’s face just seemed to fit the head shape better and looked brighter. Course, I hadn’t ridden ours since June, so maybe it just seemed that way?

vicariouscorpse

I wish it felt like I was entering through a basement or servant's quarters, but it feels like a door in the side of a fake facade. I don't get the feeling that the MK Mansion is a real building with a front door. And ghosts before entering the Mansion ruins the flow of the ride for me. And the end as well. The ride has a character and style that the projection ghosts don't seem to match. It would be like putting screens along Pirates' ending lift hill with animated version of Jack and Barbosa making faces.
Or maybe at the beginning with Barbosa and Davy Jones. That would be a great idea!

Professortango1

Disney literally has a dead persons skull in pirates of the caribbean too, where's the outrage for that one?
'One is a depiction of suicide vs just being a dead body. Everyone will die. Suicide is issue.

That being said, I enjoy the gag and wouldn't want to see it changed. It fits the attraction and story.

PiratesMansion

For all of the (often deserved) derision towards the quality of WDW maintenance in general, they are consistently MUCH better at maintaining Mansion than DL in my experience.

IIRC their Constance came a few years after than DL's, so it's likely they upgraded the effect a bit when they brought it over.

The more I visit, the more I love their facade, which I think better fits the ride that was actually built. I also love the way it looms over the park from certain vantage points, especially along the river. It has such PRESENCE that DL's doesn't have (not because of any fault in DL's mansion, but simply by virtue of Splash so thoroughly upstaging the Mansion there).

I don't love the CGI hitchhiking ghosts but I don't think it's a ride breaker by any stretch. They didn't stick out as egregiously on my last ride through as they had in the past for me. Others' mileage may vary.

For me, WDW's Mansion sings while DL's half-heartedly whistles. It's not perfect, but no version of Mansion is, and I've never understood the tendency for some to proclaim that the WDW version is inferior based on some minor difference that is insignificant in the context of the overall attraction, and is minor when compared to the very real improvements the WDW version offers over the original.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

'One is a depiction of suicide vs just being a dead body. Everyone will die. Suicide is issue.

That being said, I enjoy the gag and wouldn't want to see it changed. It fits the attraction and story.
I have never thought of suicide or associated the hang man with suicide. Its just a body hanging. Someone else could have hung him. Criminals were hung all the time. Hanging is not the sole method of suicide nor does suicide have a patent on the idea of hangings. Stop looking for things to be offended by that have been there with no one up in arms for over 50 plus years. Stop it. You look silly. You look silly.

Professortango1

I have never thought of suicide or associated the hang man with suicide. Its just a body hanging. Someone else could have hung him. Criminals were hung all the time. Hanging is not the sole method of suicide nor does suicide have a patent on the idea of hangings. Stop looking for things to be offended by that have been there with no one up in arms for over 50 plus years. Stop it. You look silly. You look silly.
....its clearly a suicide. There was no way out, so he found his way..the original sketch of the scene has a char knocked over beneath him.

I said I wasn't offended and enjoyed the scene. Don't gaslight me by trying to pretend I'm triggered or reading into the scene in some weird way. Ghost host, with a name like that you should know the Mansion and the storytelling present.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom