Haunted Mansion Christmas Overlay Dates?

Rich T

Haunted Mansion's Holiday Overlay:

Begins: Too Soon
Ends: Too Late
Haunted Mansion is a wonderfully classic attraction, but it is dated and doesn't attract crowds the way it used to.
I've been riding HM since the year it opened. It's always been an efficient crowd-mover, and the crowds lining up for it today are comparable to the crowds in the 70's and 80's. That cattle-pen queue in the yard wasn't there in the early days. That came later.

And, I'm sorry, but anyone who ONLY rides HM when Jack's cr_pping all over it has TERRIBLE taste in rides. :D

Sidenote: Why do characters named "Jack" ruin everything???

Touchdown

HMH ends after the first week in January, it ends at the right time. I agree that it would be best to start after Halloween, but closing HM for 1 month (2 weeks before and after) for 2 months isn’t the best return on investment, and since they have Jack and Sally meeting, and Jack and Zero host Halloween Screams I can see why they have HMH for Halloween.

Phroobar

I wish they would just repair all the damage they cause every time they install/remove HMH. The ceiling tiles have holes, lighting and sound is always completely off. Things are broken. The mansion becomes more run down every year because of it. Maybe that is the look they are going for but it shouldn't be that way in reality.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Why would they do that? They already have a perfect solution which delights guests every year. It would be a waste of money to create a new NBC attraction so many years after the film and it would also lead to the Mansion with sad wait times for Halloween and Christmas.

Haunted Mansion is a wonderfully classic attraction, but it is dated and doesn't attract crowds the way it used to. HMH is a little garish, but it works incredibly well and park guests love it for those few months. Many guests ONLY ride HM when Jack is in town. I know I personally prefer the HMH version a tiny percentage more just because of the improved pacing and energy in the narration and musical score.
Did you just call my timeless mansion dated?????!!!!NOOOOOOOO IT IS DUCKING NOT!!!! IT IS TIMELESS!!! AUTOPA IS DATED AS HELL!!! JACK AND SALLY DO NOT BELONG IN THE MANSION. A NEW NBC WOULD HELP OUT DCA AND THE LINES FOR THE MANSION WILL BE JUST FINE. AGAIN HOW DARE YOU!!

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Regular HM definitely packs them in but I would agree it's weirdly dated and surprisingly intact in this day and age. No one's convinced by the heads on sticks or the ghost robots in the graveyard that really don't even look like ghosts. It's very much a product of its time and very chintzy.

IMO it's one of those complicated situations in that keeping it maintained because it's perfect is ideal to us, but realistically its also a little dated. I wouldn't mind a few more smaller, tasteful changes (like hatbox). Constance needs a makeover. But please no red head with a mismatched voice and stupid dialogue.

TROR

If they make any changes to the Mansion, any special effect must utilize practical effects. There's nothing impressive about the Hatbox Ghost that made it onto the ride.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
If they make any changes to the Mansion, any special effect must utilize practical effects. There's nothing impressive about the Hatbox Ghost that made it onto the ride.

What's not impressive about hatbox? I still can't figure out how they make it look so good. IMO it's a perfect mix of both special / practical effects.

TROR

What's not impressive about hatbox? I still can't figure out how they make it look so good. IMO it's a perfect mix of both special / practical effects.
It's a projection. That's all it is. There's not even a physical head inside of the box. Both the horror and the gag are completely lost. Just look at this frightening combinations of PVC pipes, saran wrap, and and skulls.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It's a projection. That's all it is. There's not even a physical head inside of the box. Both the horror and the gag are completely lost. Just look at this frightening combinations of PVC pipes, saran wrap, and and skulls.

View attachment 394802

Shoot it fooled me. How sad is it that this is my new standard of a good effect? I've been tainted by TV screens and projections being passed for rides.

180º

View attachment 394802
New HBG has a physical head and hair on a rig that plunges down into its body in sync with the projected face darkening, as well as a physical Madame Leota-style rear projected head in the hatbox behind a one-way mirror. When the lights go out on this head, the interior of the hatbox appears empty. There are projections as well as at least two classic Mansion practical effects, not to mention the physical animated body of the figure itself.

That’s not to say New HBG is perfect. I don’t particularly care for its smooth face, lack of ears, more upright posture and neon color scheme.

TROR

New HBG has a physical head and hair on a rig that plunges down into its body in sync with the projected face darkening, as well as a physical Madame Leota-style rear projected head in the hatbox behind a one-way mirror. When the lights go out on this head, the interior of the hatbox appears empty. There are projections as well as at least two classic Mansion practical effects, not to mention the physical animated body of the figure itself.

That’s not to say New HBG is perfect. I don’t particularly care for its smooth face, lack of ears, more upright posture and neon color scheme.
I don't understand the motive to have a projection of a face instead of just having the much more frightening and better looking molded head.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom