Haunted Mansion Changing Portrait Update

matt9112

Third shift workers try, but there are not enough people and not enough hours, especially in MK, chronically busy, chronically extending park hours. Those 6 pm and 7 pm closing in days of yore were beneficial to show. Granted, they could afford to hire more people, but the 4 1/2 month party season, Disney After Hours, EMH, and extended weekend hours are rough on maintenance.

HM is actually one of the better-maintained rides as it is viewed as one of the Crown Jewels of WDW. I wish they would selectively maintain the classic effects and let the new ones (made by Imagineers who don’t understand the ride) fall into disrepair.

Disney created the problem of no down tine...no excuse even if point is valid.

Kman101

Except people on here complain loudly anytime the park isn’t open as late as they think it should be too.

Then close a ride down early and do maintenance. I understand the issue of maintenance and the park hours, guests and castmembers there until 1/2am if not longer ... let's not make excuses for them, as understandable as this issue is. But, personally, I think maintence has improved greatly over the last several years, though I know many will argue about it. Is everything perfect? Well, no, but I do see a big difference. Maybe instead of selling the parks twice in a day, they should do some maintenance ;) Disneyland often closes at 11 or 12. I get it's a locals park ... but let's not start on the hours thing. There's no reason the parks should hard close at 9pm. The guests are there ... that equals longer hours. Disney needs to find a way to adjust.

matt9112

Except people on here complain loudly anytime the park isn’t open as late as they think it should be too.

not to climb too deep down the rabbit hole but i honestly place myself firmly into the they have not built out enough unless of course DVC rooms count....i kid i kid all joking aside disney is totally okay with packed bursting at the seams parks. sure price hikes help maybe? no..? until it starts eating into guest satisfaction there is no desire to care IMHO. as long as they legally stay within safety capacity constraints there happy as a clam. so its still disneys fault for A. the worst crowd forcasting ever (not true)
B. accepting and being ok with the place being packed 365.

Bairstow

Nope, they are talking actual flash pictures, and they aren't using the lightning. I saw an instagram story of this guy who constantly goes there, and he shows how annoying it is, you can even see the reflection of it in the music parlor. Every few seconds, the medusa & black prince portraits flash even brighter than they already do to capture the picture, even if they are mid-transformation. i might be going in june to see them for real, but he says that it looks worse in person.

Everything about this is stupid.
If the picture delivered to guests via photopass is in a black and white, there's no reason they couldn't be using an IR camera with an invisible IR flash.
Furthermore, if the picture delivered to guests is in black and white, why are the "Haunted Mansion" graphics and ghosts on the photo also in black and white, or sepia, to produce a consistent visual look?
More than that, what's the point of this photo station in the first place when people are going to look bored and you can't tell its being taken on the ride anyway?

If the picture delivered to guests via photopass is in a black and white, there's no reason they couldn't be using an IR camera with an invisible IR flash.
Furthermore, if the picture delivered to guests is in black and white, why are the "Haunted Mansion" graphics and ghosts on the photo also in black and white, or sepia, to produce a consistent visual look?
More than that, what's the point of this photo station in the first place when people are going to look bored and you can't tell its being taken on the ride anyway?
exactly! IR Photos can be done very well, you don't always need a flash. they definitely have the technology to do it, i don't see why they don't.

Missing20K

Sepia......always sepia.

Bairstow

#thingdisneydoestomake🤑

I don't even mind the concept, but why do it this badly?
If they wanted a good Haunted Mansion photo op, put the camera next to the first coffin jumper you run into, turn the juice on the jumper up so you get a bit of a reaction, and take the picture with an IR camera using an IR flash so that no one but the camera sees any light.

latest

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't even mind the concept, but why do it this badly?
If they wanted a good Haunted Mansion photo op, put the camera next to the first coffin jumper you run into, turn the juice on the jumper up so you get a bit of a reaction, and take the picture with an IR camera using an IR flash so that no one but the camera sees any light.

latest
because that would make too much sense and the idea is too smart for modern Disney imagineering

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't get why the don't do photos at the end with the hitchiking ghosts. People are more animated and attentive interacting with the goofy cartoon ghosts. The area isn't as dimly lit so flashes would be less noticeable. The tone is already less spooky and more silly so a flashy photo spot wouldn't feel so out of place.

Because the current effect is too dim to show up well in a photo. Also, it's often misaligned.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Because the current effect is too dim to show up well in a photo. Also, it's often misaligned.

Presumably, any photo taken in this area could have .jpgs or thatever of the ghost characters added in independent of the attraction's effect, similar to the other "magical" pictures they do with photopass.

Yup. The photo would be taken not of the effect but of the guest(s). Camera pointing at guests - not at mirror. So for Disney, this onride photo (if implemented) would be a simple as taking a photo of the doombuggy then superimposing a transparent .png ghost or ghosts over it - Exactly like what @Bairstow is suggesting.

What's more, this would give Disney reason to create a quality (digitally-embellished) on-ride photo and not something that looks like it was whipped up in 5 mins time using Photoshop.

Kman101

I got someone else's boat LOL

Same here. Twice.

The location is terrible (I get they were trying to 'blend it in'). No one's looking at the picture (and you can barely, if at all, see the last row or two). But then again I wouldn't want a huge flash on the drop either ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom