Hatbox Ghost Theory

The Duck

Original Poster

Many of you have probably seen the above video (or others like it) from this years D23 and here's my crackpot theory.

Let us assume that Guillermo Del Toro is still going forward with his proposed Haunted Mansion film and that he's still planning on making the Hatbox Ghost a featured character. Could this AA be based on possible concept art from the film and (possibly) be on his way to be installed in the Mansion?

It's obvious that this rendering of Hatty looks quite a bit different than the 1960's original and they've obviously gone through a lot of time, trouble and expense in designing/creating him but I don't see any way that this particular AA could execute the famous "Head Trick". If this AA couldn't perform the gag, perhaps another one is being designed that could perform the feat and both designs are being considered for the attraction.

Now, let us assume that IF the film is made and IF it's successful, and IF Disney decides to add Hatty to the Mansion, that they may install 2 or 3 HBG's to the attraction much in the same way as the "Phantom" in Phantom Manor in DLP or (dare I say) like Jack Sparrow in POTC. I could see them adding two HBG's in key scenes like the ballroom or the endless hallway and then have a third somewhere near the end where he performs his disappearing head trick. Of course, the original changing light effect didn't work so they would probably make this figure as a projection like Constance in the attic.

Now, before I'm viciously attacked for proposing this, I want to add that I'm not advocating this idea at all and it's merely the product of my warped mind and that if Hatty is ever installed in the Mansion, I would hope that they would take the greatest care and consideration before doing so. I'm merely suggesting a scenario that Disney MIGHT take based partially on what happened to POTC.

Cmdr_Crimson

It still seems like they are trying to hint him on the Haunted Mansion shirt they were selling on Disney Store's site
A_Hatbox_Ghost_Tee2.jpg

And then they have been selling this Mickey as the Hatbox Ghost popcorn bucket at the parks.
048.jpg

So there's got to be some reason they are promoting him...

Last edited:

The Duck

Original Poster
I thought it was said that the figure at the D23 Expo was just a training figure quickly dressed up as the Hatbox Ghost for its time with the public.
Quite possible. But then again, that just may be what they told the public. They were pretty secretive about Avatar as well so who knows?

lazyboy97o

Quite possible. But then again, that just may be what they told the public. They were pretty secretive about Avatar as well so who knows?
Walt Disney Imagineering wasn't secretive about that, the few negotiating the terms of the agreement were secretive.

Bairstow

I thought it was said that the figure at the D23 Expo was just a training figure quickly dressed up as the Hatbox Ghost for its time with the public.

Yeah, it doesn't look to me like anything meant to be a finished figure.
It has the "default" A100 body size/posture and the suit and cape it's wearing fit the figure but they aren't particularly ornate or close to the source material.
Plus there's zero head animation. It's just a mask/sculpt they stuck on there.

It was certainly a cool thing to show at the convention, but I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything more than Disney recognizing the character is popular.

tumblr_ltvz1i0B2e1r337tvo1_r2_500.jpg

The Duck

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. I knew that there would be a lot more people here who know what's going on at Disney than me.
Maybe the AA in the video was just for show and that's OK with me. I'm still wondering if Disney ever decided to bring back HBG, would they build a traditional AA (assuming that they could figure out how to do the head trick) or would he be another projection effect like Constance? The projection would be a lot easier to pull off but would the fans accept it? Maybe we'll find out in a few years.

sublimesting

I fail to see how the Hatbox Ghost hasn't "materialized" after all these years. It seems with the projection technology they have, i.e. lighting up the castle, doing faces for Mr. Potato Head and the cupboard in Enchanted Tales wirh Belle, that they can't get the effects working on a Hatbox Ghost is ludicrous!!! At this point I'd say they just either have no plans on doing a Hatbox Ghost and it's just wishful thinking on our part or they are waiting on some huge event like OP said....a movie tie in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom