Has Tomorrowland Terrace always been there?

ELG13

Original Poster
I'm looking at places available for our trip next month and I saw Tomorrowland Terrace. I knew they did the dessert/fireworks parties and I also knew they would be serving stuff from the Harbor House during all of this...but precovid and sans dessert parties, was it a counter service or table service option? I guess I'd never paid attention to it. Tomorrowland is probably bout favorite land, but honestly we spend all our time in the back and never looked around that area much.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It has been a counter service restaurant. I remember back in the late 1980's when it served pizza, the pizza was terrible but for some reason as a kid I thought it was grand. The restaurant recently, well at least in the last few years has operated more seasonally and they did noodle stuff for awhile.

ELG13

Original Poster
It has been a counter service restaurant. I remember back in the late 1980's when it served pizza, the pizza was terrible but for some reason as a kid I thought it was grand. The restaurant recently, well at least in the last few years has operated more seasonally and they did noodle stuff for awhile.
That would make sense as far as the seasonality of it. If I saw anything with noodles I would probably have jumped all over it just because we are always wanting something different in mk since it all starts to feel like burgers and chicken anywhere we look.

Club Cooloholic

That would make sense as far as the seasonality of it. If I saw anything with noodles I would probably have jumped all over it just because we are always wanting something different in mk since it all starts to feel like burgers and chicken anywhere we look.
Few times I was there, when it did operate, it never had a huge crowd. I guess because it is a little bit out of the way.

Minnesota disney fan

I remember seeing customers in lines at their quick service in the 80's. We never ate there, but there were usually lines when we went by. It's too bad a huge place like that, with all that seating, is not being utilized (except for the parties) Seems a shame and a waste to me.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Actually the Tomorrowland Terrace hasn’t always been “there.” 😉

The Tomorrowland Terrace opened with the park in the location now occupied by Cosmic Ray’s. (Think about how that restaurant is also “terraced”). When Tomorrowland was revamped in 1994, the restaurant was renamed Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe (Sonny Eclipse was added in 1995).

The Tomorrowland Terrace was relocated at the same time to its current spot. It replaced The Plaza Pavilion ~ aptly named since it was adjacent to The Plaza Restaurant, Plaza Gardens and The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor.

The PP served that yucky pizza you remember @ajrwdwgirl. In the mid 90s through the early 00s, our family regularly ate at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Their chicken tenders (not nuggets) were the best and they served an Italian stack sandwich which was my hub’s go-to favorite.

The 2008 recession seemed to cause the “open seasonally” status the restaurant now maintains (which is silly considering the pre-pandemic crowds could easily support another quick service restaurant.)

JIMINYCR

In all our trips I think I've only seen it open once as a dining spot. At that time they had the noodle type menu which didnt interest me. Other trips being used as the dessert parties. Most of the time its been used as a shady, resting section for guests or just a bypass walk through to get to Tomorrowland. It always amazed me that Disney wasnt utilizing it more when the crowds were there and places to get food from were overly buzy. It could have helped serve hungry guests, but Disney has never been that forward thinking about using empty spaces to their advantage.

Club Cooloholic

Actually the Tomorrowland Terrace hasn’t always been “there.” 😉

The Tomorrowland Terrace opened with the park in the location now occupied by Cosmic Ray’s. (Think about how that restaurant is also “terraced”). When Tomorrowland was revamped in 1994, the restaurant was renamed Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe (Sonny Eclipse was added in 1995).

The Tomorrowland Terrace was relocated at the same time to its current spot. It replaced The Plaza Pavilion ~ aptly named since it was adjacent to The Plaza Restaurant, Plaza Gardens and The Plaza Ice Cream Parlor.

The PP served that yucky pizza you remember @ajrwdwgirl. In the mid 90s through the early 00s, our family regularly ate at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Their chicken tenders (not nuggets) were the best and they served an Italian stack sandwich which was my hub’s go-to favorite.

The 2008 recession seemed to cause the “open seasonally” status the restaurant now maintains (which is silly considering the pre-pandemic crowds could easily support another quick service restaurant.)
Actually right now, with eating outside a premium they should totally open that restaurant. It is all open air with coverage, make no sense to not have it open.
Post edit, ah I see it IS open. Anyway I agree with this move.

JohnD

Actually right now, with eating outside a premium they should totally open that restaurant. It is all open air with coverage, make no sense to not have it open.
Post edit, ah I see it IS open. Anyway I agree with this move.

They're currently doing the Columbia Harbor House menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom