Has this happened to you?

TXDisney

Original Poster
So my wife and I have always loved WDW. We actually got engaged and married at WDW. But our whole family loves WDW as well. My parents have an rci timeshare and we've gone most our life every few years all together. We are all at the age now where we are having kids. My wife is currently pregnant due in April, my sister has a 2yr old and a newborn and my brother also has. 2yr old and an infant. My wife and I want/wanted to buy a DVC once she got pregnant. We wanted a resale at Beach club for around 250pts/yr. I was planning on getting this early next year perhaps. But the this happened....

So my sister in law (my brothers wife's) family comes from Texas oil money. She last year came into millions of dollars from her trust fund. This last year they've gone on a spending spree. To name a few things, they've bought 3 new 40k+ vehicles. Did a 200k reconstruction on the exterior of there already nice house, bought 20 acres near Yosemite and bought a lake house an hour away from where we all live. We are a very close family so a big reason for the Yosemite land and the lake house was as my brother said an investment for our family. Places we can go to for little to no price and as a family. Fast forward to last weekend and my brother called me and asked me to help him plan a trip to WDW for just him and his 2yr old to go on in December (pretty last minute). We went last December as a family and he was blown away by my planning skills at WDW. So I told him what was a good plan and to call and check for availability at the beach club the 4 days he wanted to go. Since we normally stay at my parents timeshare, he was very surprised at the price to stay onsite for just 4 days mixed with tickets and flights. Not that it was too much money for him, just that he was surprised. He pies to not book. Reason being the wheels started turning on him buying a DVC. So of course he called me again this last week and asked me info on DVC. He looks at it as an investment for the family much like a lake house. A guaranteed vacation to our favorite place atleast once a year. Bc my brother is a go big or go home type person he of course wants like 500pts. Bc he has the finanacial back he would pay cash not finanace it. But since he wants us to all go we need a place that can hold the most amount of pwooow pretty much. We're 8 adults and soon to be 5 kids. Obviously those kids will grow so we will need space for all. Or we might just have to do 2 separate reservations at the same time. 500pts should cover that. He hasn't purchased it yet and wants to sometime in the next couple months. So this looks like a real thing he might do.

So part of me wanted this for me and my family and for it to be ours. But if I can save that 25k and additional 1.5k in maintenance fees I won't complain.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Has he considered a home at Golden Oak?
Not sure they want to make a million dollar investment. While they have money, not sure they want to drop a million on a vacation home we might go to 2-4 times a year. I also don't think they'd want to deal with renting it out 48-50 weeks a year if Golden Oaks even lets you do that. We live in Texas so WDW isn't a place we can go to 20 times a year.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not sure they want to make a million dollar investment. While they have money, not sure they want to drop a million on a vacation home we might go to 2-4 times a year. I also don't think they'd want to deal with renting it out 48-50 weeks a year if Golden Oaks even lets you do that. We live in Texas so WDW isn't a place we can go to 20 times a year.
Actually, the majority of the owners don't live there. Only one or two families are full time. Disney helps with renting them out, and keeping the place clean - all for a nice fee, of course.

Since BCV doesn't have any 3 bedroom Grand Villas, you would not all be able to stay in the same room. And of course, any GV only holds 12 plus a child under 3. If there are multiple kids under 3, I would imagine you could rent or ask Disney for a 2nd or 3rd pack and play. Not sure if they're OK with that or not. Would need to ask DVC rep.

Best bet is probably 2 2 bedroom units. The minimum 2 bedroom point cost at BCV is 271 during Adventure Season - Jan 1-31, Sep 1-30, and Dec 1-14. If you have to go in the summer, you're talking 350 per room for a week.

We currently have 360 points, but will be purchasing more over the next few years. Probably up to 600 total so we can give each of our sons 300 each when we are too old to go. Good luck!! Let us know if you have any other questions/. Happy to help.

WWWD

Personally, I would have your brother buy, let's say, 300 point contract and you buy a 200 point contract. That way you can all go together when you want to, but then have your own control when needed. Remember, many things can change in life - including family dynamics.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Actually, the majority of the owners don't live there. Only one or two families are full time. Disney helps with renting them out, and keeping the place clean - all for a nice fee, of course.

Since BCV doesn't have any 3 bedroom Grand Villas, you would not all be able to stay in the same room. And of course, any GV only holds 12 plus a child under 3. If there are multiple kids under 3, I would imagine you could rent or ask Disney for a 2nd or 3rd pack and play. Not sure if they're OK with that or not. Would need to ask DVC rep.

Best bet is probably 2 2 bedroom units. The minimum 2 bedroom point cost at BCV is 271 during Adventure Season - Jan 1-31, Sep 1-30, and Dec 1-14. If you have to go in the summer, you're talking 350 per room for a week.

We currently have 360 points, but will be purchasing more over the next few years. Probably up to 600 total so we can give each of our sons 300 each when we are too old to go. Good luck!! Let us know if you have any other questions/. Happy to help.
Great advice, thank you. Not sure my brother wants to make that big of an investment even if it could be worth it where Golden Oaks rents it out for you and does the maintenance. The 1mill isntbthe issue it's just a big start to an investment. There's quite a bit of a difference between investing 50k and a mill even if you have tens of millions of dollars. Regarding the points... I brought up to him the NC doesn't have a place big enough for all of us. And I named the places that sleep more, so we will see what he does with that info.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Personally, I would have your brother buy, let's say, 300 point contract and you buy a 200 point contract. That way you can all go together when you want to, but then have your own control when needed. Remember, many things can change in life - including family dynamics.
I don't think he's interested in purchasing multiple ones. While I see exactly what you're saying... I really think he'd rather just pay out of pocket for additional points on years we didn't have enough points. If that becomes repetitive I'm sure he'd up to 600pts or more.

Regarding the family dynamic that's not something in my control. So if something happens down the road it happens. I'll then buy a DVC on my own if that happens where my sister in law would keep it if something drastic happened.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't think he's interested in purchasing multiple ones. While I see exactly what you're saying... I really think he'd rather just pay out of pocket for additional points on years we didn't have enough points. If that becomes repetitive I'm sure he'd up to 600pts or more.

Regarding the family dynamic that's not something in my control. So if something happens down the road it happens. I'll then buy a DVC on my own if that happens where my sister in law would keep it if something drastic happened.
You can only "buy" an additional 24 points per year total. He would have to pay out of pocket at the room rate.

Phonedave

Forget family dynamic changing - buy your own contract. Good for your brother and his family. It's nice that he wants to do somthing like this for the family, but as you (and maily your kids) get older, it gets harder and harder to line up vacations. School, jobs, sports, activities, your in-laws activities, all of that comes into play and can create scheduling conflicts. Let him buy a big contract, go big and get enough for a grand villa every year. What are the chances that every family memebr is going to be able to go every year.; There will always be somone who cannot make it for some reason or another. If you get lucky and you get the whole family going, then your brother can either rent some points, borrow from the next year, or pay cash.

Meanwhile YOU have a contract that YOU can use. You can go with just your family if you want when YOU want to. Maybe you want to go for food and wine one year, but the rest of the family does not want to. Now you can. Or maybe it Christmas, or Flower and Garden, or MNSSHP, or something else. You have a DVC contract that you can use when you want. Of course you will still go with your family when you can, but you dont have to worry if for some reason the whole family plan does not fit your needs. If you end up not using your points some year, and banking them is not possible, there is robust rental market out there as well.

-dave

TXDisney

Original Poster
Forget family dynamic changing - buy your own contract. Good for your brother and his family. It's nice that he wants to do somthing like this for the family, but as you (and maily your kids) get older, it gets harder and harder to line up vacations. School, jobs, sports, activities, your in-laws activities, all of that comes into play and can create scheduling conflicts. Let him buy a big contract, go big and get enough for a grand villa every year. What are the chances that every family memebr is going to be able to go every year.; There will always be somone who cannot make it for some reason or another. If you get lucky and you get the whole family going, then your brother can either rent some points, borrow from the next year, or pay cash.

Meanwhile YOU have a contract that YOU can use. You can go with just your family if you want when YOU want to. Maybe you want to go for food and wine one year, but the rest of the family does not want to. Now you can. Or maybe it Christmas, or Flower and Garden, or MNSSHP, or something else. You have a DVC contract that you can use when you want. Of course you will still go with your family when you can, but you dont have to worry if for some reason the whole family plan does not fit your needs. If you end up not using your points some year, and banking them is not possible, there is robust rental market out there as well.

-dave
That very well can be an option. I haven't thrown away the idea of me still purchasing a beach club villa in the next year or 2. An added thing is my parents have a RCI timeshare that they own. They've always uses it for Disney offsite the last 30yrs. So we always have that for an adooyional trip each year. We can always use theirs for St. Maarten, bc that's my Parents home area. But they transfer every year to Disney.

dreamfinder

The multiple smaller contracts will allow him a bit more flexibility. By banking/borrowing he could end up with home booking rights at 2 resorts, still allowing for the same length/frequency of trips, but getting a better shot at staying at different resorts. If for some reason he needs to sell, its usually easier to resell a 200-300 point contract, than it is a 500 point contract. The converse means he may pay slightly more upfront if buying resale, but DVD will gladly split your purchase into multiple deeds with the same use year if buying direct. That will also allow for passing on contracts via things like wills, or to resell part of it if the family no longer has the same dynamic or needs less space due to kids growing up/moving out. Once a contract is bought, you cannot sell bits/pieces of it, it's an all or nothing deal. You can buy additional contracts starting at 25 points if needed.

TXDisney

Original Poster
Update in the situation...

My brother hopes to finalize a deal for a resale at BCV for 475pts by the end of the year. That's close to enough points for 2 Villas a year. He liked BCV location so much he'd rather get enough points to get 2 Villas rather than go to a different resort that accommodates more people. The struggle now will be to book 2 Villas the same time each year. Also after reading up I find it very shady DVC only lets you buy AP for people in the household. When you have points to acidate 10-15 people you should be able to buy AP for as many people your points accommodate, not just your household.

Phonedave

Update in the situation...

My brother hopes to finalize a deal for a resale at BCV for 475pts by the end of the year. That's close to enough points for 2 Villas a year. He liked BCV location so much he'd rather get enough points to get 2 Villas rather than go to a different resort that accommodates more people. The struggle now will be to book 2 Villas the same time each year. Also after reading up I find it very shady DVC only lets you buy AP for people in the household. When you have points to acidate 10-15 people you should be able to buy AP for as many people your points accommodate, not just your household.

Two points

1) The AP Discount is a perk, and as such it can change or go away at any time. So, keep that in mind.

2) How would DVC know how many people can be accoomidated by your contract. He has 475 points. How do they know if he is going to rent two villas for a total of one week each, or maybe he wants a studio for 4 months out of the year. Or to go the other way, with a 100 point contract I can bank and borrow so I can get a villa every three years, so somone with a 100 point contract should get 15 APs as well.

It is just easier, and honestly fairer, to say DVC perks apply to the immediate family of the people listed on the contract.

-dave

TXDisney

Original Poster
Two points

1) The AP Discount is a perk, and as such it can change or go away at any time. So, keep that in mind.

2) How would DVC know how many people can be accoomidated by your contract. He has 475 points. How do they know if he is going to rent two villas for a total of one week each, or maybe he wants a studio for 4 months out of the year. Or to go the other way, with a 100 point contract I can bank and borrow so I can get a villa every three years, so somone with a 100 point contract should get 15 APs as well.

It is just easier, and honestly fairer, to say DVC perks apply to the immediate family of the people listed on the contract.

-dave
I'd say the AP allowance should be as many people can fit in the villa. So regardless if he plans on using the villa twice in a year, of each individual villa holds 8, he should be allowed to get 8 APs. I'm not saying give him 16 bc of the points, but it should be what the villa holds.

DABIGCHEEZ

You are missing the point....there is no guarantee that he will always spend his points on a Grand Villa. He is buying points from DVC to do with what he sees fit...that doesn't mean he is always getting a grand villa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom