Has theme park culture gone too far?

PiratesMansion

What is it !?!!
A dill pickle corn dog! Just like...uh....someone somewhere has always wanted, I'm sure!
Is this tied into some kind of theme or was this just the result of one of Bob Iger's drug benders?
Probably the latter, but who really knows? The gushing you usually see from the official sources about new offerings is notably absent for this one. Or at least, I couldn't find any.

George Lucas on a Bench

These Universal food items are just blowing away Disney with charm.

Here's my vintage Bates Motel coasters from Universal in Florida

20210407_182947.jpg

And here's my retro 30th Anniversary glassware collection

20210407_183059.jpg

This merchandise, like these charming food items, just blowing away Disney

fctiger

As someone who lived in Japan, this isn't about theme park culture, it's more about popular culture in general and how much of a grip it has in that country, even more so than in America. It's very much influenced by both Asian and American popular culture, especially for younger people. None of this is surprising and been happening for a very long time.

And its not a big deal. As someone said, it's just marketing. Everyone will look at this stuff differently. Middle age people still buy stuffed Mickey dolls that they keep for themselves. Most people not into theme parks or only looks at them for kids would suggest that's going too far too. And yet it's been happening for decades now.

Tamandua

Original Poster
Theme park culture got too far when people starting filming themselves in themepark like they are hosting a television show. Ever seen this in person? It's so funny.
It's kind of funny looking at these guys desperately trying to come up with content as everything is closed. Ordinary Adventures has made a few trips to Disney world, every food event multiple times, etc etc. They've scammed people into paying for their theme park addiction now that they've used covid as an excuse to solicit donations. I never watch their videos anymore, but if you scroll through their uploads over the last year, it reeks of desperation to keep their YouTube business going.

truecoat

It's kind of funny looking at these guys desperately trying to come up with content as everything is closed. Ordinary Adventures has made a few trips to Disney world, every food event multiple times, etc etc. They've scammed people into paying for their theme park addiction now that they've used covid as an excuse to solicit donations. I never watch their videos anymore, but if you scroll through their uploads over the last year, it reeks of desperation to keep their YouTube business going.

That guy also owns SlashFilm, he doesn't need money for his trips.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Yeah... it's a scam. I don't know why people give them money but whatever. If a bunch of strangers offered to pay me to do fun things all the time instead of work, I guess I'd take it too.
Depends on your definition of fun. I like to save up my own money and go visit the parks once or twice a year as a treat. It makes me feel like I've earned it. I wouldn't want to go week after week carrying around a camera trying to find things to talk about and having the pressure of creating new content then later having to edit it. That's not what going to Disneyland is about for me. It's a place to get away from my job/life, not a place that becomes it.

I too don't understand why people give these vloggers money. I'd rather spend my money going there myself rather than paying others to do it for me. Then again, I'm sure there are things that I do spend money on that others wouldn't understand why I do, so I guess that's all part of the diversity of the human race.

Mac Tonight

Theme park culture got too far when people starting filming themselves in themepark like they are hosting a television show. Ever seen this in person? It's so funny.
Whats worse than that are the people who don't even go to the parks, but instead sit on their couches filming themselves regurgitating theme park "news and rumors" they've read online (mainly from boards like these)... and somehow act like they're doing the world a service, and you should definitely financially support them through Patreon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom