Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

VaderTron

Original Poster
I agree many people are like that, but I've never really been like that - especially when it comes to WDW. I love Walt's quote about how the park will never be "finished", how it can keep getting better and better.

As far as attractions go, I think WDW might be better now than it ever was - and hopefully getting even better with all the new additions (as much as I'm nostalgic about the old EPCOT, the Universe of Energy was a TERRIBLE, outdated attraction and Guardians will (hopefully) just blow it away.)

There is a legitimate argument that the increase in ticket prices is justified by all the new attractions. And if park hours weren't shortened I might agree...

The key part to Walt's idea is that it would get better and better. That he felt it would never be finished indicates he expected to keep expanding and improving. A deeper dig down into what has opened and what has closed over the years will show that the recent "expansions" have really been mostly refills to entertainment options that were previously removed. Real growth and expansion has been minimal in the past decade, and there is more monetized "expansion" than atmosphere/experience expansion (ex: Diamond Horseshoe Revew/Goofy's Dancing Jamboree entertainment closed and replaced with another place to buy food | Main Street Cinema replaced by a store to buy expensive Disney art. | Majority of New Fantasyland "expansion" involved building a restaurant with great themeing...but you have to get a reservation and pay for a pricey sit-down meal that's sub-par to enjoy it. The rest of the expansion was replacment of existing attractions with a kiddie coaster. [arguably a better use of the space] In reality, they could have built those new items and kept what already existed as there is plenty of expansion space.)

The point is, Walt Disney wasn't one to tear up his old stuff just to make room for new and exciting ideas he had. When he had the idea for Epcot he didn't plan to knock down a portion of MK and shoehorn it in. He envisioned a great expansion in the form of a whole new experience. So, if you are going to quote the man, let's put his words into context so it doesn't look like Walt would be happy with the way DIS CORP is operating his baby.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Good advice there at the end. You have to consider everything. That includes the stuff in between now and when you first started going. For instance, there were times when there was great entertainment at MK and at "Disney Springs" when there was the Adventurer's Club. Disney always claims to strive to be better. Throughout the middle of those years there was a large increase in value and entertainment. The issue is now Disney has gone past their peak of value and are declining. That means as some point in the recent past they had peak value, which is the time people are reminiscent about. They were not necessarily talking about 40-50 years ago.
If you liked the Adventurer’s Club, we will likely never be able to agree on entertainment or anything else 😂. I just mentioned our first trip because other posters have been going back pretty far. My point is that Disney is still a good value for my family, in large part because of DVC. I love Disney Springs along with many other aspects of Disney. I don’t agree that it’s past its peak and declining. It’s clear by now that you feel otherwise, but that is still my opinion.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The point is, Walt Disney wasn't one to tear up his old stuff just to make room for new and exciting ideas he had. When he had the idea for Epcot he didn't plan to knock down a portion of MK and shoehorn it in. He envisioned a great expansion in the form of a whole new park. So, if you are going to quote the man, let's put his words into context so it doesn't look like Walt would be happy with the way DIS CORP is operating his baby.
Umm, EPCOT was NEVER meant to be a park. That all happened after his death. And yes, Walt tore out stuff to make up new, and left attractions unfinished as well. As an example, the Storybook Land Canal Boats had piles of dirt along the route for a few years before it was finished.

eliza61nyc

To say that something isn't relevant in a value discussion just because you didn't experience it seems a bit odd to me. If someone told me that the plane ticket in first class I was thinking of buying for the first time used to come with free unlimited alcohol, a high-quality meal, and fully reclining seats but now has 1 complimentary beer or wine, the same meal as coach, and partial reclining seats I would still be upset even though I hadn't enjoyed those perks myself. It may even cause me to decide it was too late, I had missed the time when first class was worth the splurge, and I should skip it.

Oh no vader, I didn't mean it wasn't relevant, just that depending on what one's perspective is the "value" discussion could be very different. Basically what I was trying to say is that everyone puts a value on things differently and so determining whether something has lost is value can depend on how it's viewed and what the person's previous experience is.

Now in your example again, I'm not one to look back at "what use to be". If I'm considering a first class ticket, what they served 5 years ago is useless too me. I wouldn't be upset at all. What I need to know is what they offer now and how it compares to other offerings out in the market. Now if the meal is the same as in coach then I ask the question, well what makes the price of the ticket worth what you are asking. that's different but I definitely donot say, "well last year we use to get a bottle of champagne" so it's no longer worth the money.

But again I apologize, maybe a better way to say it is that how relevant a offering is could be totally different to each individual. We never stayed at the parks until 1pm so that particular feature is not something that would lower the value of my park ticket.

now I can't join the "what did walt do, what did walt mean" discussion. I don't know anything about the history of the parks nor his intentions and again, it really would not matter to me when it comes down to spending my money.

Minnesota disney fan

Don't know if this fits the topic, but here goes:
I was in the parking lot of Target today wearing my bright white hooded sweatshirt celebrating WDW in 2013. It's quite colorful and nice. This random lady came up to me and said I see you have been to Disney. I said yes, I bought it in 2013 for appx $40.00. I went back the next year and it was around $60.00. She said she went this year with the grandkids and said that's it for us! She said the cost of everything was awful and eyeopening, and they wouldn't go back at all due to all the expenses. She said, at least the grandkids went once.
So that's just one more one and done family who expressed their feelings regarding the high cost of everything while at Disney.
I just mention it because it was a totally random stranger expressing her feelings about Disney. I get lots of compliments on this sweatshirt but never had that happen.

VaderTron

Original Poster
Umm, EPCOT was NEVER meant to be a park. That all happened after his death. And yes, Walt tore out stuff to make up new, and left attractions unfinished as well. As an example, the Storybook Land Canal Boats had piles of dirt along the route for a few years before it was finished.
You will see if you read again that I didn't say Epcot was intended to be a park. I did say Walt's vision for Epcot did not include replacing part of MK to see his vison come true. And the amount of time that something took to build doesn't change the fact that Walt wasn't running through his park closing rides and building new restaurants/shops in their place. That was the point.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
When he had the idea for Epcot he didn't plan to knock down a portion of MK and shoehorn it in. He envisioned a great expansion in the form of a whole new park.
You will see if you read again that I didn't say Epcot was intended to be a park. I did say Walt's vision for Epcot did not include replacing part of MK to see his vison come true. And the amount of time that something took to build doesn't change the fact that Walt wasn't running through his park closing rides and building new restaurants/shops in their place. That was the point.
When you stated the above, it appeared that you were talking about EPCOT as a park. Sorry for the confusion.

VaderTron

Original Poster
No worries. I used the word park, when I should have said experience. I updated to reflect that more accurately.

VaderTron

Original Poster
If you liked the Adventurer’s Club, we will likely never be able to agree on entertainment or anything else 😂. I just mentioned our first trip because other posters have been going back pretty far. My point is that Disney is still a good value for my family, in large part because of DVC. I love Disney Springs along with many other aspects of Disney. I don’t agree that it’s past its peak and declining. It’s clear by now that you feel otherwise, but that is still my opinion.
There was a petition and letter writing campaign to save the Adventurers Club and it was a one-of-a-kind place. No current live entertainment at Disney Springs is exclusive to that location. I can see the same performances in cities all across the country.

Incomudro

There was a petition and letter writing campaign to save the Adventurers Club and it was a one-of-a-kind place. No current live entertainment at Disney Springs is exclusive to that location. I can see the same performances in cities all across the country.

I was expecting and hoping that they would do something in Galaxies Edge in a similar way as they did in Adventurers Club.
Not the comedy and singing, but rather a use of performers that would interact with each other and guests.
Particularly in places like Oga's say.

CapeCodTenor

I didn't vote because it has been so long since my last visti (it's been 17 years, and even then the last time I went down I worked for the mouse, so discounts were applied to my trips), so I didn't think it would be fair for me to vote. That said, I can say that with increase in cost, I won't be taking my family down every year. For us, it'll most likely be every 2-3 years.

mdcpr

Don't know if this fits the topic, but here goes:
I was in the parking lot of Target today wearing my bright white hooded sweatshirt celebrating WDW in 2013. It's quite colorful and nice. This random lady came up to me and said I see you have been to Disney. I said yes, I bought it in 2013 for appx $40.00. I went back the next year and it was around $60.00. She said she went this year with the grandkids and said that's it for us! She said the cost of everything was awful and eyeopening, and they wouldn't go back at all due to all the expenses. She said, at least the grandkids went once.
So that's just one more one and done family who expressed their feelings regarding the high cost of everything while at Disney.
I just mention it because it was a totally random stranger expressing her feelings about Disney. I get lots of compliments on this sweatshirt but never had that happen.
This week I saw FB posting of people stating how much fun they had and because of cost, they will never go back again. Someone even described GE as a very expensive detailed looking mall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While there has seemed to be a movement growing, at least online in forums, FB groups, Reddit, etc, which involves people reducing/eliminating WDW vacations going forward, I think it is going to take alot more committed actions to change the cost/value trend by Disney in the Disney theme parks. I believe it would need to be a significant, sustained, multi-year drop in attendance/gate revenues/resort revenues before Disney starts to realize that their pockets aren't as full as they were before. If everyone that is reducing their Disney trips cut them out entirely, I think that would be the first step towards this situation playing out. Keep in mind, I am not someone who no longer sees value in a trip to WDW, at least not at this point, but, if that point ever comes, then I would be done until the cost structure improved.

It will take a recession. Period.
Look at it though.,. We did something like 15 rides and had a full sit down breakfast in the park, prior to 10am.. I was able to save all FP choices for rides outside of Fantasyland.

When could anyone achieve that? I don’t remember such a time.

You paid $89 for a quick serve breakfast and access to rides you already are paying $100 a day for...which wouldn’t be necessary with proper investment.

But don’t let the truth hold you back 😉

The parks were built for growth from 1970-circa 2000...
They have not been since. Remember the time, Michael Jackson

21stamps

It will take a recession. Period.

You paid $89 for a quick serve breakfast and access to rides you already are paying $100 a day for...which wouldn’t be necessary with proper investment.

But don’t let the truth hold you back 😉

The parks were built for growth from 1970-circa 2000...
They have not been since. Remember the time, Michael Jackson

Sorry, but your comment is a bit of a swing and a miss..,

1. I didn’t pay for the rides.. I paid for the absence of line at the rides. For a near empty-not stroller congested Fantasy Land. For the ability to make my day a lot more smooth by getting several rides out of the way before the park even opened. To have fast passes used for other things. Most of all- to have an incredible experience with my family.

2. No one on a multi day stay is paying $100 per day.

3. If you’re not aware, there’s these things called “fast lane passes” sold at amusement parks all around the country... paid for in addition to your ticket.., Purchased by people to make better use of their time and have a better experience.. not because they couldn’t go on a ride otherwise.

If you can understand how time-saving and efficiency can make someone have a better experience, then you may start to understand the world around you.. and why we see the offerings that we do- everywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry, but your comment is a bit of a swing and a miss..,

1. I didn’t pay for the rides.. I paid for the absence of line at the rides. For a near empty-not stroller congested Fantasy Land. For the ability to make my day a lot more smooth by getting several rides out of the way before the park even opened. To have fast passes used for other things. Most of all- to have an incredible experience with my family.

2. No one on a multi day stay is paying $100 per day.

3. If you’re not aware, there’s these things called “fast lane passes” sold at amusement parks all around the country... paid for in addition to your ticket.., Purchased by people to make better use of their time and have a better experience.. not because they couldn’t go on a ride otherwise.

If you can understand how time-saving and efficiency can make someone have a better experience, then you may start to understand the world around you.. and why we see the offerings that we do- everywhere.
Sorry...you’re parsing.

The reality is that their ability to handle their own crowds - which was a signature of Disney parks - has been allowed to deteriorate and they have decided to monetize it instead of properly addressing it.

And it doesn’t matter if you paid $40, $80, or $120 for your tickets...you still already paid.

You can fight me on operational history, design, theory and pricing policies...but you will lose. All due respect given.

Besides...isn’t it REALLY the fault of those thieving, low income workers that we have to pay more? Amma right?!?

21stamps

Sorry...you’re parsing.

The reality is that their ability to handle their own crowds - which was a signature of Disney parks - has been allowed to deteriorate and they have decided to monetize it instead of properly addressing it.

And it doesn’t matter if you paid $40, $80, or $120 for your tickets...you still already paid.

You can fight me on operational history, design, theory and pricing policies...but you will lose. All due respect given.

Besides...isn’t it REALLY the fault of those thieving, low income workers that we have to pay more? Amma right?!?
I’m telling you why people see value in the offering.

The same way that people see value in fast lane passes at a Cedar Fair or Six Flags Park... or even a fast pass at a haunted house (yes, I just bought a fast pass for a stand alone haunted house, it exists).

There are of course also people like you.. those complaining about how “everyone used to have to wait in line together” “it’s not fair that someone paid $150 for fast lane and now I have to wait a minute longer” “money hungry park owners are ripping people off” etc etc etc.

You can complain about what other people choose to do.
You can mentally live in the past and cling to your memories, causing you to get stressed out and bitter at the present..exuding negativity.
-OR-
You can just do what you choose to do, and not worry about what anyone else is doing.

I don’t see much use for negativity zones, but to each their own.

21stamps

I went to Cedar Point 2 weeks ago.. I would not go there without a FL+ pass. I wanted to stay where I could wake up and walk right to the gate of the park.

I cringed at what I paid, but I realized that spending the money was the only way that we would enjoy our limited time to the fullest. I don’t regret it, even if I do think the prices are obnoxious. I had a choice to go or not go. There were times over the summer when I just couldn’t justify the prices in combo with the crowds. Even with Fast Lane Plus we waited for 45 minutes each to ride 2 of the coasters on our weekend- each had a 180 minute standby wait time...on other coasters with a 2 hour standby, we only waited for 10-15 minutes max. The FLP was definitely worth it.
I’ve heard that FL+ can get up to 60-90 minutes on some coasters during summer weekends, that’s not worth it to me. I’d rather not go at all on those days.

People have the same choice with Disney. Go, don’t go, but to constantly complain about “what used to be” is doing nothing but complaining for the sake of complaining. At some point it may be better to just cut the cord for some, walk away, find a better fit... and be confident in your choice to walk away, not bitter.

Last edited:

VaderTron

Original Poster
I went to Cedar Point 2 weeks ago.. I would not go there without a FL+ pass. I wanted to stay where I could wake up and walk right to the gate of the park.

I cringed at what I paid, but I realized that spending the money was the only way that we would enjoy our limited time to the fullest. I don’t regret it, even if I do think the prices are obnoxious. I had a choice to go or not go. There were times over the summer when I just couldn’t justify the prices in combo with the crowds. Even with Fast Lane Plus we waited for 45 minutes each to ride 2 of the coasters on our weekend- each had a 180 minute standby wait time...on other coasters with a 2 hour standby, we only waited for 10-15 minutes max. The FLP was definitely worth it.
I’ve heard that FL+ can get up to 60-90 minutes on some coasters during summer weekends, that’s not worth it to me. I’d rather not go at all on those days.

People have the same choice with Disney. Go, don’t go, but to constantly complain about “what used to be” is doing nothing but complaining for the sake of complaining. At some point it may be better to just cut the cord for some, walk away, find a better fit... and be confident in your choice to walk away, not bitter.
This is the guy at the funeral who tells the widow, "Well, no sense in living in the past. He's dead and not coming back. May as well get used to it. You can be upset and cling to the past memories, but why be negative. Move on and enjoy your life."

Zero empathy, and very self-centered viewpoint. "It doesn't bother me so why are you upset?" 🙄

Last edited:

VaderTron

Original Poster
Ok so after passing the 400 vote mark here are some interesting results in the poll so far:

1) More people say they have dropped their annual passes than say they are not changing their spending/attendance at all.

2) 20.2% of voters who used to go to WDW semi-regularly or even multiple times a year now say they do not plan to go back at all.

3) "We're all good" voters have dropped to 18.5% meaning 81.5% of all voters say the pricing or atmosphere cuts have already caused them to reduce their WDW plans and spending or will cause them to reduce future visits and/or spending. It seems the more people that are asked the lower the "we like everything perfectly fine" percentage drops. I would love to see what random polls of people from various cities would show.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the guy at the funeral who tells the widow, "Well, no sense in living in the past. He's dead and not coming back. May as well get used to it. You can be upset and cling to the past memories, but why be negative. Move on and enjoy your life."

Zero empathy, and very self-centered viewpoint. "It doesn't bother me so why are you upset?" 🙄
This “guy” is a girl...a very feisty one. But other than that...you pegged it. You should see defense of Disney gouging and spew towards minimum wage workers 😳

(Just don’t bring up Michael Jackson or fair pay...those are “no nos”)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom