Has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR FAMILIES WDW Attendance?

How has Disney Pricing Increases/Atmosphere Cuts Altered YOUR Attendance

• No effect. Absorbed all price changes without changing itineraries and are content with atmosphere

Votes: 82 18.1%
  • No effect yet. However, recent changes have us planning to reduce our WDW spending.

Votes: 89 19.6%
  • Attendance the same, but we have cut back on ADR's, hotel quality/location, etc.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go less often, but still splurge when we do go.

Votes: 15 3.3%
  • We used to go more than once a year. Now we go just once, but still splurge.

Votes: 18 4.0%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we go every other year.

Votes: 76 16.7%
  • We used to go at least once a year. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 62 13.7%
  • We used to go every once in a while. Now we don't plan to go at all.

Votes: 26 5.7%
  • We used to have higher tier passes. Now we have lower tier passes.

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • We used to have passes. Now we don't have passes.

Votes: 86 18.9%

• Total voters

VaderTron

Original Poster
Is it possible to add another option,

Don't visit the parks anymore but have "jumped ship" to DCL .
There will likely be many variables that are not captured in the poll options. However, if you are able to select an existing option that most closely resembles your situation that would be great. Comments like you posted are the appropriate way to capture the many individual nuances posters feel are important to share on this subject.

thomas998

We went from 2 or even 3 times a year... We've now dropped to once a year between WDW and DL, but when we do WDW we split out time between Universal now, probably currently at about 75/25 with WDW at 25. It just isn't what it used to be. Overall dollar spent has increased but far less goes to the mouse.

Disneyfreak Jen

Most of my trips are solo. So right off the bat my expenses are quite a bit more than if I had a friend go with me. I’ve been able to make it work until this year.

I don’t care what resort I stay at, I’m usually at POP or All Stars, sometimes a moderate. The prices for POP and All Stars has gone up quite a bit...I can’t justify a long weekend anymore.

I got a new job this year so I don’t gave much vacation time yet. My next trip will be 2021 for a week in October. I have a cruise already booked for late 2020–non Disney, so next year is out.

The only possibility is maybe a long weekend in January or Springtime if my boss goes away. OR, stay off site. I was messing around with prices fo off-site hotels, but you lose DME and the 60 day FP window. Decisions Decisions...

JIMINYCR

No effect on our style of trips. We save more and budget in the added expenses by figuring there is going to be some kind of an increase in cost, like there are in other areas of our life. The only thing we do differently may be being more selective in the souvenirs we decide to pick up and rethink buying and bringing home items for friends and family. We continue our 14 days, staying at POFQ, doing the DDP, adding in an extra tour or off site trip. We arent affected by the parking cost because we have a w/c accessible van. We continue to enjoy the type of trip we do and find Disney still has brings enough entertainment and value for what we pay out. If the time comes when we find it no longer delivers we would start cutting back on the extras.

WEDYENSID

Went 11years in a row (2007-2017). We skipped 2018 & 2019 - mainly because of so many cuts to things that used to be free, and the constant (large) price increases. We can afford it, but have decided the return for "our investment" was no longer acceptable.

My young adult daughters love Disney (as much as we used to), so I just purchased DVC resale at the Poly for them. If they get tired of going, I told them they can just rent out the points (hopefully).

A week at the Poly with dining plan in 2007 was 4,000. In 2017 without dining plan it was 12,000???

splash327

I have definitely scaled back this year. Is it because of the price increases? Sort of. Last year my family had 5 Platinum APs and we went 3 times as a family on those passes and there were several other trips where smaller groups went. As of October 11th we will be down to just one pass for myself. Here are the reasons for the drop:

1) My oldest son is 24 and we feel he can buy his own tickets now
2) My middle son is now a Disney World Cast Member, so no need to buy him an AP
3) My Daughter is now off at college, so fewer trips coming up.
4) With #2 and the new price of an AP we felt we could use my son's free tickets for my wife and daughter instead of buying APs.

John park hopper

Went 11years in a row (2007-2017). We skipped 2018 & 2019 - mainly because of so many cuts to things that used to be free, and the constant (large) price increases. We can afford it, but have decided the return for "our investment" was no longer acceptable.

My young adult daughters love Disney (as much as we used to), so I just purchased DVC resale at the Poly for them. If they get tired of going, I told them they can just rent out the points (hopefully).

A week at the Poly with dining plan in 2007 was 4,000. In 2017 without dining plan it was 12,000???
ouch!!!!!!

Mickey5150

We still go every year for Food & Wine. Only change we have made is more dinners in Disney Springs rather than the resorts. Great food either way just saves about $100.

Mainahman

We still go, if its my wife and i, we kill the dining plan, and share most meals and bring our own breakfast meals and snacks in. We dont usually get Memory Maker, and we stay at value resorts.

Phonedave

We used go every year, sometimes multiple times in a year. We were also AP holders.

We now go every 2-3 years, no longer have APs, and schedule less dining when we do go.

We are DVC owners so our accommodations have actually gone UP, as now that we have more points we get bigger rooms.

If it is something we find interesting or enjoyable, we have no problem spending money on it. In fact we are going in November for F&W and dropped a good chunk of coin for park admission and special events, and will likely drop a load more on merch once we get there. However, most of the time, we no longer find WDW so all fired great.

-dave

ColdSarsaparilla

Unequivocally, yes.

What once were annual week-long stays on property with 4-5 day hoppers are now 3-4 night stays with standard 2-day tickets.

And you know what? Life goes on if you don't get to every park, every year. In fact, it helps to keep things fresh.

The risk Disney runs by forcing dedicated guests to downsize their visits is it provides them the chance to realize they're not missing much.

Last edited:

Incomudro

We went some six years in a row - maybe more.
Sort of watched my sons grow up year after year from their first trip at age 6.
We haven't been back for three years now.
Expense is the primary reason.
We brought a new house (sold the old one) and things that needed to be done in the new house utilized much of the money (largely income tax returns) that would have normally gone to Disney vacations.
But there's more.
My wife and I are both earning considerably more than we did when we were going on those vacations - yet the vacations have become less affordable.
For instance, we stayed at Beach Club for 4 - maybe 5 trips in a row, mostly because I was able to snag a 30% off offer from Disney.
That has not been available in a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom