Has Disney Never Built Something That They Announced?

Merlin0402

Original Poster
I was just thinking about whether or not Disney has ever announced something and then not built it? Wouldn't that be the ultimate letdown?

SirNim

Originally posted by Merlin0402
I was just thinking about whether or not Disney has ever announced something and then not built it? Wouldn't that be the ultimate letdown?
One word: Epcot. Disney officially released to the public plans, descriptions, artwork, and such concerning a to-be-built African pavilion (Equatorial Guniea but also representative of all of Africa as well, the only pavilioin that would actually be a "Continent" rather than just a "Country") in TV specials, where they featured an interview with Alex Haley, I believe, the author of "Roots", in addition to numerous souvenir books, etc. As we all know, the only good that came out of this was the Outpost. More countries were also "announced", including ones that even today on thes forums people speak of, but they are just rumors nows. This is the most blatent example I can think of...:)

crazygirley

Actually, last summer there was a mini African pavillion, with African-type gifts and things, like drums, zebra figurines, African necklaces and things of that nature. Maybe you missed it, it was off in a corner. It was very basic, nothing special, just a couple of dark wooden crates stacked up, some of that cloth that is orange and green and black over the crates, music, and the gifts. But you could tell that it was supposed to be African.

SirNim

Originally posted by crazygirley
Actually, last summer there was a mini African pavillion, with African-type gifts and things, like drums, zebra figurines, African necklaces and things of that nature. Maybe you missed it, it was off in a corner. It was very basic, nothing special, just a couple of dark wooden crates stacked up, some of that cloth that is orange and green and black over the crates, music, and the gifts. But you could tell that it was supposed to be African.
I realize that the Outpost is themed to be an exotic, well, outpost!:) However, the Ourpost is in no ways considered a full-blown pavilion, and anyone who thinks that should double-check themselves. Original plans for that area, if I remember correctly, called for a huge simulation of the African plains. Basically, the Guest would "climb" this giant tree (not literally, but simulated) and peer through the limbs and leaves into an African village, complete with animals, tribal dancers, etc. If memory serves me correctly. Then, Guests would be able to enter the village, etc., perhaps eat at a tradtional restaurant there, etc. This was not supposed to be just a gift shop. However, Disney, looking to make/save money, completely diminished these plans, and turned them into nothing more than a gift shop and a Coke stand. Which is what we have today.

Pioneer Hall

Well we eventually got Africa...just not in Epcot. I think it wasn't built in Epcot because they knew the idea would work better in AK.

From what i remember, wasn't there a couple other countries in the original Epcot Center books that were suppose to be coming other than Africa?

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Just A Big Kid
From what i remember, wasn't there a couple other countries in the original Epcot Center books that were suppose to be coming other than Africa?

I know Russia was in the origianl Plans. I saw the model when I went to a Disney architecture exhibit in New York a few years ago.

SirNim

Yep. That's right.

Alot of the ideas Disney has come up with (like the Movie pavilion in FW), have not been built because they have been adapted to fit other, more suitable environments, like different theme parks...

Invero

Originally posted by Merlin0402

Pop Century?

LOL sorry, couldnt resist. :)

fngoofy

I can remember passing the comming soon boards (the kind they put up to block the view of construction) that said " Comming Soon, Equatorial Africa and Israel." This would have been back in the mid 80s

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Michael72688
What was that going to be, cause Copperfield is cool

It was supposed to be a restaurant that was underground that featured Magic and a magic theme. The funding fell through, and it never became a reality.

Sketch105

There were tv specials back in the 1980s/1990s that showed concept art of "Toon Town Trolley", a Disney MGM attraction featuring 360 degree simulator screen and in-vehicle effects and starred Roger Rabbit. It fell through for obvious reasons.They also announced that Mount Fuji would be constructed behind the Japan Pavilion at Epcot.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
There was also a Big plan (like 10-15 years ago I think) in the works for Disney to build a huge Entertainment District in Downtown Chicago... but that never went thru.... We got a disney quest (now closed) and a ESPN Zone instead.

celestia

david copperfield restaurant

Originally posted by Sean23
How about the project at MGM with David Copperfield.

my family went on a vacation to WDW a few years ago, and bought bernbaums (sp?) 'official' disney guidebook. Inside was a review about David Copperfield's restaurant at MGM, and how great the food was, etc.

When we called to make reservations, the castmember on the other line had absolutely no clue what we were talking about..not only was it not open, it never even broke ground! (and here they are talking about how good the food and atmosphere was! ha!)

needless to say, we were very disapointed.

:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom