Has Disney ever actually gone back on a retheme/refurbishment?

mrg1106

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The Splash Mountain retheme had me thinking on this one simply because they have to be losing a ton of money at the moment. I don't think the retheme is coming anytime soon but still, I think the last retheme/refurbishment that came to mind that went on hold was for Spaceship Earth.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not a retheme, but the Downtown Disneyland hotel project was cancelled due to local politics. That was officially announced on the Disney Parks Blog.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Cmdr_Crimson

Only thing I can think of that went back to it's "sort of" original form..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not a retheme, but the Downtown Disneyland hotel project was cancelled due to local politics. That was officially announced on the Disney Parks Blog.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
That’s a new build...and they’re in a long game standoff with Anaheim.

That project will be built in some form in 10 years

FettFan

Remember, all we know about “Splash Levee” is one piece of concept art.

You know what ELSE had just one piece of concept art?

The Switzerland Pavilion!
Slide0125-web.jpg

The Rhine River Cruise in the Germany pavilion.
4562298-16655044-thumbnail.jpg

And then there are attractions that are shovel-ready, but still get cancelled because of money woes.

Western River Expedition
screen_shot_2019-11-23_at_4.36.34_pm.png
...and they actually built animatronics for it, that were then used in other attractions.
1412f57e0.jpg

73XF9P_RO2shvUwJFVGC0L8d-9fSDE1E-UPR-TiVn7DYv6pHPBcBJBxf8AnP4DGGlx8VER16n1xPNHGODDbeELsYwmUfdPhX6f8rkqouUm0SklVh6MaUPNYXU78Sqn-HOQ8pflQ3I3I-JistlTs

So you know... until the construction walls actually go up, there’s always a chance.

Mickey5150

New Fantasyland, when announced with concept art, was going to be a land of meet and greets. I don't remember all the changes but Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was a major one.

Kamikaze

Your question is actually 'Have Disney ever announced something and not done it?'

The answer is yes, many times.

It won't be the case this time.

RScottyL

The Splash Mountain retheme had me thinking on this one simply because they have to be losing a ton of money at the moment. I don't think the retheme is coming anytime soon but still, I think the last retheme/refurbishment that came to mind that went on hold was for Spaceship Earth.

Yeah, this is not because they wanted to do it, but because of public demand/current events/doing the right thing!

I am sure this WILL happen!

MickeyLuv'r

Yeah, this is not because they wanted to do it, but because of public demand/current events/doing the right thing!

huh?

I haven't heard of any new laws, or any corporations pulling funding from Disney's theme parks.

I still think they announced a ride re-theme because it was something they decided they wanted to do.

I daresay, opinions are VERY fluid, especially right now. Read up about the black square campaign from just a few weeks ago, opinions on the matter changed VERY quickly.

We are living in Seussland! (The Sneetches)

Mind, I'm not trying to pick on you, or even to say this change won't happen. I'm just saying we don't have any kind of fixed idea about what is right/wrong, or even who is on the jury.

Just last night....I watched an old news recording from 2015. A 2nd highly relevant bit of literature right now is Washington Irving's Rip Van Winkle.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom