Has anyone put 5 in a studio???? (yes I know your only allowed 4)

dixiegirl

Original Poster
So we're thinking of asking my daughters best friend to come next yr, she has never been and we think may never go, but has been asking her grandparents for a couple of yrs now.... Thinking it would be such a great trip for her because we're the "fun family" as we've been told and we go quite often, lol Anyhow, trying to crunch the points and the only way to go is to do a studio, but i know you can only fit 4 (due to disney restrictions , i know) but has anyone "secretly tried??? I'm trying to wrap my head around it , and can't see how it would be comfortable, but hubby does'nt want to budge from going 10days (yes I know we should all have that prob, lol) We're going in August which is our normal time, kids will be 9 and 12..... We have 210 points, I looked at a 1 bedroom at OKW which looks quite roomy but again hubby thinks its too spread out and since we've never stayed there have no clue what is a "good area"....Can anyone offer some insight cause I'm reaching a blockage, and to top it off hubby is leaving it up to me to make the decision to invite the friend....I need help!

MorganKelly

The OKW studio is quite large. I one stayed there with 3 other gals on a "girls only" trip. We were still friends after the trip, but space was tight and other than the balcony (and bathroom) there was no place to be alone for 5 minutes. I would not recommend trying to put 5 folks in the studio. The DVC rules and fire regulations notwithstanding, you should consider comfort too IMHO. As a family we might book the studio for a night or two, but usually reserve at least the one-bedroom (and often the 2-bedroom) for a longer stay.

The one-bedroom would be a good bet. Everyone would have a place to sleep (bed, couch, sleep chair) and you'd gain a lot of space as the units at OKW are exceptionally roomy. The 2 bedroom would be optimal, but of course you need the extra points. When are you traveling? Points can go far in certain seasons.

stlbobby

So we're thinking of asking my daughters best friend to come next yr, she has never been and we think may never go, but has been asking her grandparents for a couple of yrs now.... Thinking it would be such a great trip for her because we're the "fun family" as we've been told and we go quite often, lol Anyhow, trying to crunch the points and the only way to go is to do a studio, but i know you can only fit 4 (due to disney restrictions , i know) but has anyone "secretly tried??? I'm trying to wrap my head around it , and can't see how it would be comfortable, but hubby does'nt want to budge from going 10days (yes I know we should all have that prob, lol) We're going in August which is our normal time, kids will be 9 and 12..... We have 210 points, I looked at a 1 bedroom at OKW which looks quite roomy but again hubby thinks its too spread out and since we've never stayed there have no clue what is a "good area"....Can anyone offer some insight cause I'm reaching a blockage, and to top it off hubby is leaving it up to me to make the decision to invite the friend....I need help!

OKW is an amazing resort. It is large, but there are several pools and bus stops, so there is always one close. If you need to go to the front of the resort you can just jump on any bus anytime, they all stop at the front, or you can request a room in buildings 11-14. They are just across the road from the front desk area.

OKW also has some of the biggest rooms on property. If your going to try and do 5 in a studio OKW is your best bet, but the one bedroom will be seriously comfortable, plus you get a great over-sized tub in the master bedroom and a nice balcony or patio.

The biggest consideration should be the amount of time you spend in the room and at the resort. If you are only going to be sleeping in the room then you'll be fine with a studio. If you spend a lot of time in the room eating and relaxing it might be too much. Additionally, at 12 will you be letting the older child and friend go to DTD, parks, or pools on their own? If so they may make themselves scarce, leaving more room for the rest of the family.

Either way, do not write off OKW. It is my home resort, but I have stayed at every other resort on property except AoA and GF, and OKW is still one of my favorites especially for long trips.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if I read your original post wrong, but you said you have 210 points and want to go for 10 nights. Even OKW is more than 210 points for a 1 bedroom for 10 nights. You could do a week for 199 points in the second half of August. You would have to limit yourself to 7 nights or pay cash for the other 3 nights. Can you borrow from next year or does the 210 include all available points?

Moral implications of "breaking the rules" aside, if you go with the studio you will only get towels and bedding for 4. You would have to bring addition towels along with an air mattress with you. Not sure how the room keys would work either. If you want your park tickets and room keys together on 1 card you would just have to buy 1 additional ticket separate from the room keys. It would be real tight, but the kids probably wouldn't care. They would be at Disney World. Even though you would be breaking the rules you would be doing it for a good reason so that a kid can experience WDW.

If it were me, I would go with the 1 bedroom for 7 nights.

dixiegirl

Original Poster
Yes I think I may have to convince the hubby to at OKW, he as I said thinks its too spread out, but we love our home resort of SSR and many think thats spread out as well, but its the point of finding the right areas.... I guess like any resort...We will be going toward the end of August, before the kids go back to school I know we'll have to borrow some points and pay some in cash as well, but it all depends if my daughters grandparents let her go.....if not I"M GOING BACK TO BLT!!!!! Love that place!! Thanks for all the suggestions and if anyone has any more please feel free to keep them coming!

captainkidd

I agree with your husband about OKW being too spread out. We stayed there for a week about 8 years ago, and unless things have changed, it was a pain. If we wanted to do laundry, we had a 15 minute walk to the closest machines. That was a lot of fun at night in the rain. Of all the DVC Resorts, they have the most limited food options. And the umpteen stops the buses make before leaving for the parks gets very old after a few days. OKW would be your best bet in terms of points as it's the least expensive DVC Resort.

stlbobby

I agree with your husband about OKW being too spread out. We stayed there for a week about 8 years ago, and unless things have changed, it was a pain. If we wanted to do laundry, we had a 15 minute walk to the closest machines. That was a lot of fun at night in the rain. Of all the DVC Resorts, they have the most limited food options. And the umpteen stops the buses make before leaving for the parks gets very old after a few days. OKW would be your best bet in terms of points as it's the least expensive DVC Resort.

If the OP gets a one bedroom they will have a washer and dryer in the room. OKW has about the same number of bus stops as SSR, maybe a couple more. There are actually more dining options at OKW than at SSR.

wilkeliza

Just throwing this out there. You won't get a 5th room key card so the extra person would not be allowed to participate in EMH hours. Also fitting more people into a room than allowed is not only uncomfortable but it is breach of contract and you could end up paying massive fines and losing your DVC privlages.

captainkidd

If the OP gets a one bedroom they will have a washer and dryer in the room. OKW has about the same number of bus stops as SSR, maybe a couple more. There are actually more dining options at OKW than at SSR.

Doesn't sound like they'll have enough points for a 1 bedroom. If they borrow, then true - Their laundry issue is solved. I've never stayed at Saratoga Springs and never would. Too big, and I've read their dining options are terrible. When we stayed there, all OKW had was 1 restaurant not open for lunch, and 1 place to grab a very limited quick service bite to eat. I don't know if they added any, but there was simply not enough dining options for a resort of that size. Especially when compared with BCV, BWV, WLV or BLT. They all have plenty of places to eat themselves, and the option of many other places either a boat ride, monorail ride, or short walk away.

captainkidd

Just throwing this out there. You won't get a 5th room key card so the extra person would not be allowed to participate in EMH hours. Also fitting more people into a room than allowed is not only uncomfortable but it is breach of contract and you could end up paying massive fines and losing your DVC privlages.

That is not exactly true. DVC states only 4 people are allowed to a 1 bedroom, yet they allow 5 people. You just need to provide your own bedding for the 5th person.

stlbobby

Doesn't sound like they'll have enough points for a 1 bedroom. If they borrow, then true - Their laundry issue is solved. I've never stayed at Saratoga Springs and never would. Too big, and I've read their dining options are terrible. When we stayed there, all OKW had was 1 restaurant not open for lunch, and 1 place to grab a very limited quick service bite to eat. I don't know if they added any, but there was simply not enough dining options for a resort of that size. Especially when compared with BCV, BWV, WLV or BLT. They all have plenty of places to eat themselves, and the option of many other places either a boat ride, monorail ride, or short walk away.

The OP said she was looking at OKW to get a one bedroom because it is less points.

There are two QS venues at OKW with normal sized QS menus. Olivia's at OKW is listed on the the WDW site as open for lunch, has been open for lunch every time I've stayed even during the slowest times of the year, and is known as a favorite spot for WDW exec's to lunch. In fact that was cited recently on these threads when it was announced the Turf Club at SSR was closing for lunch. I don't know if the exec's thing is true, but Olivia's is a lunch venue.

I made the comparison to SSR because that is the OP's home resort. OKW and SSR are similar in size and amenities. OKW is actually the better resort in this situation, because the rooms are a bit bigger it would accommodate the extra person more easily.

mousefan1972

That is not exactly true. DVC states only 4 people are allowed to a 1 bedroom, yet they allow 5 people. You just need to provide your own bedding for the 5th person.

OP wants to stuff 5 people in a studio. That is most certainly not allowed in any of the DVC resorts. (only exception is if 5th person is age 2 or under, which is not the case here) I'll refrain from sharing my opinion as I know the comments that will come next... *rolls eyes*

captainkidd

OP wants to stuff 5 people in a studio. That is most certainly not allowed in any of the DVC resorts. (only exception is if 5th person is age 2 or under, which is not the case here) I'll refrain from sharing my opinion as I know the comments that will come next... *rolls eyes*

And "stuffing" 5 in a 1 bedroom is not allowed either, but DVC allows it for members.

captainkidd

The OP said she was looking at OKW to get a one bedroom because it is less points.

There are two QS venues at OKW with normal sized QS menus. Olivia's at OKW is listed on the the WDW site as open for lunch, has been open for lunch every time I've stayed even during the slowest times of the year, and is known as a favorite spot for WDW exec's to lunch. In fact that was cited recently on these threads when it was announced the Turf Club at SSR was closing for lunch. I don't know if the exec's thing is true, but Olivia's is a lunch venue.

I made the comparison to SSR because that is the OP's home resort. OKW and SSR are similar in size and amenities. OKW is actually the better resort in this situation, because the rooms are a bit bigger it would accommodate the extra person more easily.

Don't need to try and sell any resort to me over SSR. I'd never stay there. I just didn't find the food, pools, theme, transportation or location of OKW nearly as good as Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas or Wilderness Lodge Villas.

pixargal

I believe that 5 people are allowed in a 1 bedroom at Old Key West. They have a pull out sofa and chair that converts to a twin sized bed. We booked a 1 bedroom for our November trip and there were enough spaces on the member website to put 5 in a 1 bedroom at OKW. For such a long trip, I think it would be worth it to upgrade from a studio to a 1 bedroom.

mousefan1972

I believe that 5 people are allowed in a 1 bedroom at Old Key West. They have a pull out sofa and chair that converts to a twin sized bed. We booked a 1 bedroom for our November trip and there were enough spaces on the member website to put 5 in a 1 bedroom at OKW. For such a long trip, I think it would be worth it to upgrade from a studio to a 1 bedroom.

You are correct.

To clarify:

5 in studio: never allowed, regardless of booking method.
5 in a 1 BR: always allowed when booked via MS, either on points or cash. Not allowed when booked through Disney CRO, except for AKV, BLT, and OKW, which all provide sleeping space for 5 people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You are correct.

To clarify:

5 in studio: never allowed, regardless of booking method.
5 in a 1 BR: always allowed when booked via MS, either on points or cash. Not allowed when booked through Disney CRO, except for AKV, BLT, and OKW, which all provide sleeping space for 5 people.

I think this sounds right. We recently stayed in a 1 bedroom at BLT and it had the king plus a pull out couch and a pull out chair so sleeping for 5. We only had 4 people, but they provided the bedding for the couch and the chair and we used both. I assume they would have given us a 5th key if we asked. There really is plenty of room for 5 in a 1BR, they are more than double the size of a studio and at BLT you get 2 full bathrooms too. Not sure about OKW.

goodanu

And "stuffing" 5 in a 1 bedroom is not allowed either, but DVC allows it for members.
Completely wrong! They will allow five in any one bedroom and put the fifth person on the reservation which they won't due if you try to stuff a fifth person in a studio. In the one bedrooms without a sleeper chair they state that the fifth person is allowed, no bedding and towels are provided though. You make the call trying to "sneak" someone in your room. To me the minuses outweigh the plusses. My suggestion, borrow, rent or purchase the max extra points from MS to get into a one bedroom.

captainkidd

Completely wrong! They will allow five in any one bedroom and put the fifth person on the reservation which they won't due if you try to stuff a fifth person in a studio. In the one bedrooms without a sleeper chair they state that the fifth person is allowed, no bedding and towels are provided though. You make the call trying to "sneak" someone in your room. To me the minuses outweigh the plusses. My suggestion, borrow, rent or purchase the max extra points from MS to get into a one bedroom.

DVC will allow for 5 in a 1 bedroom for members. If you try and book through Disney, they will not let you put 5 people in a 1 bedroom, except for Kidani Village, Old Key West and I believe Bay Lake Tower.

If you care to try and prove me wrong, simply go to disneyworld.com and try and book a 1 bedroom for 5 people at Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Wilderness Lodge Villas or Saratoga Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom