Has anyone ever requested the "best seats" on Flight of Passage?

Driver

Mmmmhmm. That’s why I quit.

Have you worked as an attractions cast member before?
No I haven't, however I do have a position with "high guest interaction " and at times it can be very frustrating. But as a CM we must keep in my mind our job is to serve the guest. I made a decision a long time ago, when serving becomes to much of a burden then it's time for me to go. I often overhear bellyaching conversations ( in break rooms) and unfortunately it's typically the young ones with very little job and/or life experiences complaining about how people act. When in fact it's just a fact of life and [they] are the ones who are just now learning about it. And their typical reaction is they are right and the world is wrong. It can be laughable because it's the young ones complaining that are experiencing life's learning curves and their rants bring a chuckle to the rest of us. 😉

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
No I haven't, however I do have a position with "high guest interaction " and at times it can be very frustrating. But as a CM we must keep in my mind our job is to serve the guest. I made a decision a long time ago, when serving becomes to much of a burden then it's time for me to go. I often overhear bellyaching conversations ( in break rooms) and unfortunately it's typically the young ones with very little job and/or life experiences complaining about how people act. When in fact it's just a fact of life and [they] are the ones who are just now learning about it. And their typical reaction is they are right and the world is wrong. It can be laughable because it's the young ones complaining that are experiencing life's learning curves and their rants bring a chuckle to the rest of us. 😉
Ah. You’re one of those “you youngsters would be better if...” people. I get it now.

As you have displayed in your original post, the way theme Park guests treat people my age and other “younger” cast members is, a majority of the time, very much different in comparison to someone older.

I still remember having my training badge on for Pirates and this tall older gentleman comes up to me and asks “I have a Fastpasses but I’m 5 minutes early. Can I get In the fastpass line?” I say “Yes sir! As long as you’re no more than 5 minutes early you’re more than welcome to come in.” He then says “Better watch what you say, little trainee. Can I see you manager?” I say “Sure” And I phone one of our leaders, the older lady comes down. The old guy says “This young man told me I could come in the fastpass line early. You should probably correct him on that!”

Then my leader just tells him exactly the same freaking thing I already Said. And he goes “oh, my bad.” in an apologetic voice.

And that’s only one of MANY incidents at pirates I could Explain. The park guests that act THAT entitled can make the park guests that ask for small entitlements can really start to lean a cast member on edge.

WondersOfLife

Ah. You’re one of those “you youngsters would be better if...” people. I get it now.

As you have displayed in your original post, the way theme Park guests treat people my age and other “younger” cast members is, a majority of the time, very much different in comparison to someone older.

I still remember having my training badge on for Pirates and this tall older gentleman comes up to me and asks “I have a Fastpasses but I’m 5 minutes early. Can I get In the fastpass line?” I say “Yes sir! As long as you’re no more than 5 minutes early you’re more than welcome to come in.” He then says “Better watch what you say, little trainee. Can I see you manager?” I say “Sure” And I phone one of our leaders, the older lady comes down. The old guy says “This young man told me I could come in the fastpass line early. You should probably correct him on that!”

Then my leader just tells him exactly the same freaking thing I already Said. And he goes “oh, my bad.” in an apologetic voice.

And that’s only one of MANY incidents at pirates I could Explain. The park guests that act THAT entitled can make the park guests that ask for small entitlements can really start to lean a cast member on edge.
Long story short, literally just get on the ride. Simple as that. It ain’t hard, and you’re not gonna die or get a terrible experience.

WondersOfLife

Necessity has nothing to do with it--Walt Disney World is altogether a frivolous luxury. You can't blame guests (and it's only a tiny minority anyway) for trying to maximise their enjoyment by availing themselves of a courtesy Disney offers.
I guarantee You it’s not a tiny minority.

LittleBuford

I guarantee You it’s not a tiny minority.

Let me put it another way: I've never seen anyone else requesting a specific seat, so I assume the proportion of guests doing so is rather low. Given the sheer number of people who ride the attractions daily, even a tiny percentage of "requesters" is going to add up, but I don't think it would be accurate to say that they constitute more than a relatively small fraction of the overall number.

WondersOfLife

Let me put it another way: I've never seen anyone else requesting a specific seat, so I assume the proportion of guests doing so is rather low. Given the sheer number of people who ride the attractions daily, even a tiny percentage of "requesters" is going to add up, but I don't think it would be accurate to say that they constitute more than a relatively small fraction of the overall number.
I apologize. You obviously have more experience with this.

LittleBuford

I apologize. You obviously have more experience with this.

Why not clarify your claim rather than resort to cheap sarcasm? Are you saying that I'm wrong to suggest that the percentage of guests asking for particular seats is small? And if so, what would you estimate the percentage to be?

Driver

Actually my point has nothing to do with how older people talk or treat younger folks. My point is in reference to the younger generation reactions to human behavior. And are set back by remarks or requests that although may not be typical, but none the less throw the CM. And is just one of life's learning curves that they are discovering. We were all young once, but with age comes wisdom. You may not get my point and may still think I'm picking on young people ( I'm not) but someday you may find yourself in the same situation. Looking at a situation and thinking " they don't get it" "yet". Sometimes some people in this situation will think " oh know , I've become my mother ( or father)" and that's the moment you will get my point.😉

WondersOfLife

Actually my point has nothing to do with how older people talk or treat younger folks. My point is in reference to the younger generation reactions to human behavior. And are set back by remarks or requests that although may not be typical, but none the less throw the CM. And is just one of life's learning curves that they are discovering. We were all young once, but with age comes wisdom. You may not get my point and may still think I'm picking on young people ( I'm not) but someday you may find yourself in the same situation. Looking at a situation and thinking " they don't get it" "yet". Sometimes some people in this situation will think " oh know , I've become my mother ( or father)" and that's the moment you will get my point.😉
Alrighty, Mr. frederickson.

thomas998

Yes they do. I did not deny that. I just said it’s unnecessary. Especially for busy attractions.
It doesn't matter if the attraction is busy or not, a lot of the rides that people make requests on aren't slowed down by the requests. At most the CM has to work a bit more instead of standing around doing nothing. In the end the CM's are paid to do a job which in large part is to insure that the guests have a good time. If you don't want to do that then maybe being a CM isn't where you need to be. Way too often people seem to forget that they are working for an employer that is trying to please customers not a employer that is trying to please the employees. Employees don't come first in a business that wants to continue to thrive, the customers come first.

sedati

"The customer's come first..."
Random chance has aligned you with a certain seating arrangement. You feel YOU deserve better. But conversely, YOU feel someone else deserves the lesser experience. We are ALL customers and are being treated equally by the nature of the randomness of how you enter a line results into your eventual placement. A castmember is in fact putting customers first when they are doing their job, when they are making exceptions, they are putting YOU first.

LittleBuford

"The customer's come first..."
Random chance has aligned you with a certain seating arrangement. You feel YOU deserve better. But conversely, YOU feel someone else deserves the lesser experience. We are ALL customers and are being treated equally by the nature of the randomness of how you enter a line results into your eventual placement. A castmember is in fact putting customers first when they are doing their job, when they are making exceptions, they are putting YOU first.

This is assuming that all customers want the same thing. When I ask to sit at the back of the log of Splash Mountain, it’s because I don’t want to get wet; others enjoy getting drenched and prefer the front.

You claim that those who request certain seats feel they deserve better than others. By that logic, any time we ask for any favour as a customer (to be seated in a particular part of a restaurant, for example), we’re being entitled narcissists. This seems a harsh and inaccurate assessment to me.

sedati

This is assuming that all customers want the same thing. When I ask to sit at the back of the log of Splash Mountain, it’s because I don’t want to get wet; others enjoy getting drenched and prefer the front.

You claim that those who request certain seats feel they deserve better than others. By that logic, any time we ask for any favour as a customer (to be seated in a particular part of a restaurant, for example), we’re being entitled narcissists. This seems a harsh and inaccurate assessment to me.
It is asking for preferential treatment. But to be clear, I am not wholly against seat or other minor requests provided it be done in a respectful manner. Reading your posts, it seems you make your requests politely, though regularly. An exception is an exception until it happens so regularly that it has become a rule. The tone of my post was more in response to what thomas998 wrote which frankly turned my stomach.

LittleBuford

It is asking for preferential treatment. But to be clear, I am not wholly against seat or other minor requests provided it be done in a respectful manner. Reading your posts, it seems you make your requests politely, though regularly. An exception is an exception until it happens so regularly that it has become a rule. The tone of my post was more in response to what thomas998 wrote which frankly turned my stomach.

Thanks for clarifying. I should add a clarification of my own: for the most part, I’m happy to be seated wherever, and it’s only on certain rides (Soarin’ and Splash Mountain in particular) that I ask for something more specific. I agree that this courtesy shouldn’t be abused, as that would lead to its being taken away altogether (besides the headache it would create for CMs).

sedati

I'll add this since it's something I encounter so often in my own customer service interactions. Those who are openly apologetic usually have nothing to apologize for and are operating well within the reasonable guidelines of customer service. Conversely, there are those who think nothing of their requests (demands), behavior, or general attitude, and are usually the ones that ought to be making apologizes to not only the employees, but their fellow customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom