Harveyt0206's "Is this really happening while I am at Disney" trip report

Hello Disney Friends. I have now been back from WDW for over two weeks and in all honesty I really had no inclination to do a trip report, which is not typical of me. I love trip reports. I read every single report that is posted. Not only do they allow me to live vicariously through others, but I often find great ideas and points of view that perhaps I hadn't considered before then.

So why no trip report? Well, for the first time ever I had a not so magical trip and I simply felt that my story was going to sound way too much like complaining and that no one would really be interested in indulging in that kind of a trip report. But since my return I began to realize something that I was never willing to consider before: As much as I love going to my happy place, WDW does not exist in a vacuum and sometimes real life creeps into the pixie dust and that's just the way it is. So, with that being said, I will finally get started on this trip report and what occurred.

This trip was unexpected as I was just at WDW in September with my husband. But at the beginning of November I received a pin code and thought "well, this is too good to ignore" and promptly started trying to figure out how to convince my husband that another trip was in his future. You see, I am the Disney freak in our household. Hubby truly enjoys going, but he could go once every five years and be fine. I on the other hand want to go once every other month. After thinking about it I decided that instead of going with hubby, I wanted to go on a girls only trip with my Mom. I knew that it had been 20 years since my mom's last trip to WDW so she was long overdue for a Disney experience. I called her and asked if she was interested and proceeded to wax poetic for 20 minutes about all the wonders of WDW and why she needed this trip. She was convinced! Let the planning begin.

We decided to stay at Coronado Springs and signed up for the QS meal plan. We would leave on Sunday, 2/28 and come home on Friday, 3/5. I was thrilled and super excited to have this opportunity to not only go back to WDW so soon after my last trip but to do so with my mom, who is my very best friend in the whole world. I am so blessed that she and I have such an amazing relationship.

So, Sunday 2/28 finally arrives. We flew out of Columbus, OH at 5:50 am and arrived in Orlando at 9:54. It was a perfect flight. We left on time, arrived on time and had a very brief lay-over in Atlanta.

I surprised my mom with a town car rental. We grabbed our bags and were at Coronado Springs by 10:45.

Warning: I am a horrible photographer with a horrible point and click camera, so my pictures reflect this fact.

picture.php

This is the only picture that I got of our resort.

I had completed our on-line check in several days prior to arriving so we headed inside to get our check in packet. We walked right up to the on-line check in, found out that our room was ready and we could get in immediately. Fabulous!! So we get our room number assignment and see that it is 7666. My mom and I made a few jokes about the last three digits being 666 and began walking over to our room. Now, neither one of us is terribly superstitious, but perhaps we really should have asked for a different room number considering what happened next.

We dropped our bags in our room and decided to walk back to the Pepper Market for some lunch. Our room was located on the Rachos section of the resort, which is the furthest from the main building. We didn't really mind because we both found the resort to be beautiful and enjoyed the walk around the lake. At this point, we were both giddy with excitement. Our plan was to head over to MK after lunch. It was chilly but gorgeous that day so we gobbled our food down and decided to head back to the room to get what we needed for our evening at MK.

And here is where everything went off the rails. A little background information for you: My mom is a small business owner. She owns her own flower shop/antique/gift shop. She has spent the past 30 years of her life building and working on this business. She loves it so much and is immensely proud of it. As she and I were walking out of the Pepper Market her cell phone rang. I was a few steps in front of her when I hear her say "It's on fire"?! I turn around and can see that she is shaking. She hangs up the phone and immediately calls my dad and tells him that one of her employees just called and said that her shop was on fire. I could tell she was in shock so I simply decided to get her back to the room until we could figure out what was going on. She just kept repeating over and over "it's all gone, it's all gone".

Let me tell you, that walk back to the room was the longest walk ever. We finally get back to the room only to realize that for whatever reason we didn't have a signal on either of our cell phones. I think it had something to do with the fact that the building is solid concrete and we were smack in the middle of it. So we were constantly walking outside to try and get a signal.

The next 3 hours were nothing but phone calls and tears and trying to figure out what to do. I immediately started making phone calls to see when the next flight that we could get on was leaving. In the end, my dad convinced my mom to stay and explained that there was a lot of damage but nothing that she could do about it right then because it would be days before insurance would be able to get in there and do anything.

Reluctantly my mom decided to stick it out. We decided to try and make the best of a very bad situation since everything was already paid for and my dad was at home to take care of the shop.

We did end up going to MK and only rode two rides before going back to the room. Mom's heart and mind simply weren't in to it. She has since told me that she doesn't even remember what we did that day. So back to the room we went to try and get some rest in the hopes that things would look better after a good nights sleep.

mouselvrmom

Thank you for the kind words Mouselvrmom. I really appreciate it. And I am so sorry for your loss. Dealing with a tragedy like that must have been very difficult during a Disney vacation. It's such a juxtaposition of happy and sad.

It was difficult, but you were right when you said that life happens and you just have to deal with it. It is really the happy and the sad all at the same time, but everyone has to have experiences like that at one time or another.

I'm glad to hear that things are going ok with the insurance!

emh1960

Thank you for your report, it was well done. Good luck to your Mom in sorting out the fire aftermath.
We had similar weather to yours when we were there 2 weeks earlier. I was not complaining about the weather, just glad to be in WDW. I'm glad that I didn't grouse about it now, it is a miniscule problem compared to your Mom's troubles.
It probably was the best thing to do to continue your trip, though, hope you have more happy trips to WDW in the future.

WishIWasAtWDW

thanks for sharing your trip report. that really stinks about your mom's shop. i am very glad to hear that you all were still able to enjoy your trip despite having to deal with all that stress. on my last trip with my boyfriend, on the day we arrived he found out his grandfather passed away. it was a terrible way to start the trip but we realized that his grandfather would have wanted him to enjoy his trip. his grandfather was a big disney fan and loved going to the parks so we dedicated our trip to him and had a beer in the germany pavillion in his honor. it stinks when the real world stuff creeps into your disney magic but you just have to make the best of it. glad you were able to share your trip and it sounds like you were able to have a pretty good time despite the circumstances.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Thank you for your report, it was well done. Good luck to your Mom in sorting out the fire aftermath.
We had similar weather to yours when we were there 2 weeks earlier. I was not complaining about the weather, just glad to be in WDW. I'm glad that I didn't grouse about it now, it is a miniscule problem compared to your Mom's troubles.
It probably was the best thing to do to continue your trip, though, hope you have more happy trips to WDW in the future.

Thanks emh1960. :) I certainly have a new appreciation for my favorite vacation destination. I don't think I will ever take it for granted again.

thanks for sharing your trip report. that really stinks about your mom's shop. i am very glad to hear that you all were still able to enjoy your trip despite having to deal with all that stress. on my last trip with my boyfriend, on the day we arrived he found out his grandfather passed away. it was a terrible way to start the trip but we realized that his grandfather would have wanted him to enjoy his trip. his grandfather was a big disney fan and loved going to the parks so we dedicated our trip to him and had a beer in the germany pavillion in his honor. it stinks when the real world stuff creeps into your disney magic but you just have to make the best of it. glad you were able to share your trip and it sounds like you were able to have a pretty good time despite the circumstances.

I am so sorry for your boyfriend's loss, but what a nice way to honor him. I know that in some ways, being in Disney was a blessing, so I will continue to think of the positive and happy times that mom and I had in between the at home drama. :wave:

rsoxguy

I'm sorry to hear that things became so difficult during a time meant to be fun. I hope that everything works to your good, and the good of your mother. Life may be fragile, but strong hearts learn to overcome. I hope that you all find grace and strength beyond challenge.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
I'm sorry to hear that things became so difficult during a time meant to be fun. I hope that everything works to your good, and the good of your mother. Life may be fragile, but strong hearts learn to overcome. I hope that you all find grace and strength beyond challenge.

What a nice thing to say. Thank you. :) Your well wishes are very much appreciated.

erstwo

I too am so sad for your mother's loss. :( Thank you for sharing your trip report despite your difficulties.

Was her shop in the Columbus area? My mother is from Worthington.

corey154

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother's shop. My husband owned a small business and I understand how much that business becomes your heart, especially if it's something you love. (my hubby owned a salt water fish store so it wasn't just a job, it was a passion like i'm sure your mother's shop was to her) They say that everything happens for a reason, whether we understand it or not so maybe there was a reason you're Mom was out of state when it happened. If she was there when it happened she could have really broke down, at least Disney gave her something else to focus on and let the news sink in.

Thanks for the time to fill out a trip report, we're your Disney family and whether it's a bad or good trip, we're here to support you!

Agent1964fem

I think you and your mom were incredibly strong to stay.......you still managed to have a good time .

I hope that everything works out with the shop and your are able to rebuild it bigger and better then ever.

Wilderness Lodge 1998
Caribbean Beach 2003
Port Orleans Riverside 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2007
Polynesian Resort 2009
Contemporary 2011

harveyt0206

Original Poster
I too am so sad for your mother's loss. :( Thank you for sharing your trip report despite your difficulties.

Was her shop in the Columbus area? My mother is from Worthington.

Thank you erstwo. :) In the end, while it was stressful, it could have been so much worse. There are so many people who go through much more difficult situations. But at the time we were going through it, it felt huge.

Actually, her shop is in Huntington, WV, which is about three hours south of Columbus.

I am so very sorry, what a horrible thing to happen. At least no one was hurt! Wishing you and your family well! :wave:

Amen to that Disneygirl1. No one was hurt and she has insurance. What more can we ask for? :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother's shop. My husband owned a small business and I understand how much that business becomes your heart, especially if it's something you love. (my hubby owned a salt water fish store so it wasn't just a job, it was a passion like i'm sure your mother's shop was to her) They say that everything happens for a reason, whether we understand it or not so maybe there was a reason you're Mom was out of state when it happened. If she was there when it happened she could have really broke down, at least Disney gave her something else to focus on and let the news sink in.

Thanks for the time to fill out a trip report, we're your Disney family and whether it's a bad or good trip, we're here to support you!

Thank you so much Corey. I have to say that even though in my heart I know it is selfish to be upset over our lost "fun" at Disney, it has been extremely nice having so many kind people from these boards extend their best wishes and understanding over our imperfect trip. But as you said, we were able to have some fun and we will always have those memories.

I think you and your mom were incredibly strong to stay.......you still managed to have a good time .

I hope that everything works out with the shop and your are able to rebuild it bigger and better then ever.

Wilderness Lodge 1998
Caribbean Beach 2003
Port Orleans Riverside 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2007
Polynesian Resort 2009
Contemporary 2011

Thanks Agent1964. She is rebuilding and I have every hope that it will be bigger and better!! :sohappy:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Man...thats a tough vacation to have much enjoyment on. Hopefully everything works out for you and your family.

lebeau

Wow! I'm glad you were still able to have a good time. Hopefully everything will turn out okay with the family biz.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Man...thats a tough vacation to have much enjoyment on. Hopefully everything works out for you and your family.

Thanks Black. :) I am sure everything is going to be a-ok.

Wow! I'm glad you were still able to have a good time. Hopefully everything will turn out okay with the family biz.

Well, as they say, a bad day at Disney is still better than a good day at home. :lol: Thanks for the thoughts Lebeau. And btw, love your Avatar.

Thanks for sharing. Your mom is a trooper!

She hung in there like a champ. Of course, she was probably terrified that her Disney obsessed daughter might go off the rails if she was forced to return to cold, snowy Ohio after only 1 hour at Disney. :ROFLOL:

kashmir

What strength and courage you both showed during this stressful news and aftermath!
I am always amazed and humbled by the sheer will of people during crisis - and I wish I had that same strength. I wish you the best moving forward.

Thank you for showing us a realistic side of vacationing - I had sudden thoughts of this when on our trip at the World, and wondered if fire had indeed ruined our vacation (I'm such a worrier!).
Instead we came back to a roof problem that left much of our house flooded. Now I see why people enlist help to watch their house during vacation!
P.S. Don't allow workmen access to your repairs while you are gone!

It's all good now!

harveyt0206

Original Poster
What strength and courage you both showed during this stressful news and aftermath!
I am always amazed and humbled by the sheer will of people during crisis - and I wish I had that same strength. I wish you the best moving forward.

Thank you for showing us a realistic side of vacationing - I had sudden thoughts of this when on our trip at the World, and wondered if fire had indeed ruined our vacation (I'm such a worrier!).
Instead we came back to a roof problem that left much of our house flooded. Now I see why people enlist help to watch their house during vacation!
P.S. Don't allow workmen access to your repairs while you are gone!

It's all good now!

Wow, that's horrible Kashmir. I am glad to hear that it is all good now, but still, the stress of trying to get everything back in order certainly can take its toll. Best of luck to you as you get your home back in order. :wave:

ksr99

All my best wishes to your mother and the family. I think no one ever wants to hear about a bad trip, or life experiene on these boards but then I think we need to realize how great everyone on these boards are. Again my best wishes..............

harveyt0206

Original Poster
All my best wishes to your mother and the family. I think no one ever wants to hear about a bad trip, or life experiene on these boards but then I think we need to realize how great everyone on these boards are. Again my best wishes..............

Thanks KSR99. And you are so right - there are a ton of wonderful folks on these boards. It's why I can't stay away. :)

yensid67

Tracy,

I truly enjoyed your report, even though it was a little stressful and disappointing in the begnning, you learned a very valuable lesson! Although the fire was awful, your mom had to process and deal with the stress on her level and find a way not to disappoint you!

I hope things work out for your mom and her gift/antique/flower shop! I will say a few prayers for her, your mom loks like a trooper in the picture at Epcot so I think things will be OK for her as time goes by.

Hope you get to WDW in October, too!

Will:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom