Harveyt0206's "Happy Holidays at the World" trip report

I seriously debated whether or not to even do a trip report this time. Not because I don't love trip reports (I do) but more because I wasn't sure that I had anything new or enlightening to add to the Disney trip report conversation.

Then, the more I thought about it the more I realized that for me a trip report is the means by which I have the opportunity to assess the fun that was had, remember the magical memories and appreciate the very fact that I had another great trip to Disney. Plus, it's New Years Eve so what better way to reflect on my amazing year than to sit down and recount my most recent trip.

A bit of background and declarations before digging into the meat of the report.

Travelers: Me - Tracy :wave: and my husband, who is also named Tracy. :D

This trip was completely unexpected and planned very last minute. Hubby and I made the reservations for this trip the first week of November. We got a great deal through Disney Visa and free dining. Neither one of us has been during the Holiday season and it has always been a dream of mine. We opted to stay at a Value resort since this was only going to be a quick stop for 3 days. We initially booked All-Star Music for 12/12 -12/15. Since we were staying at a Value resort, we only received free quick service, so dining reservations weren't an issue. I immediately started reviewing park hours and crowd levels on Touring Plans. We booked our flight with Southwest and with everything finalized and paid, there was nothing left to do except wait for the big day to arrive.

Except, about a week before our expected departure on Sunday, 12/12/10, hubby and I began discussing the possibility of actually leaving on Friday, 12/10/10. Now, here is where I have to give both WDW travel and Southwest airlines props. We called WDW first. I spoke to a Cast Member who let me know that yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and he would be happy to allow you to change your reservation on such short notice. We would have to move to the All-Star Movies (no problem) and we would have to personally communicate with Magical Express about our flight and date change (again, no problem). I then contacted Southwest airlines to see about changing our 12/12 flight to 12/10. Southwest did have a direct flight on Friday that we could get on and here is the kicker, there would be no charge for the last minute change!! What?? I have never flown SW and to be honest, I was not anticipating it being so easy and no charge (they actually credited us $2.50 for the price difference between our flights). I was thrilled and even sent SW an email thanking them for having such amazing customer service policies.

So, with everything FINALLY set in stone, we were ready to roll.

Friday 12/10 - "Is it time to leave yet??"

Our flight was scheduled to leave Columbus at 4:30pm with arrival at MCO at 6:45 pm. Our plan was to grab our bags, jump on Magical Express, check in and then hit Downtown Disney. Unfortunately, our flight did not leave until 8:30 pm due to some mechanical issues with our plane. They were finally able to locate a replacement plane and we were on our way. We arrived at MCO close to 11:00 pm. At this point we knew that Downtown Disney was out, but I wasn't concerned. We were at Disney, and I had four full days of Christmas magic in front of us. We checked in to All Star Movies near midnight. Thank goodness I had already done on-line check in as we were in and out of the lobby within 10 minutes of arriving at the resort. We grabbed our keys and headed over to the Dalmation building, our home for the next few days. This was my first time staying at a Value resort and other than the beds being smaller than what we are use to, we both found the room to be clean, warm (something we would come to appreciate more and more as our trip progressed) and completely adequate. For this trip, we simply needed a place to lay our head at night because we "planned" on spending almost 14 hours a day in the park. That plan would change over the course of the trip, but more on that later.

We both took quick showers, unpacked and hit the hay close to 2 am. Of course, even though we had had a long day, I was extremely jazzed and had ton of trouble falling asleep. My husband on the other hand could fall asleep in the middle of a nuclear war. This is something I have always been extremely jealous of, but good for him.

Saturday 12/11: "Let's go let's go let's go!"

I woke up at 7 am on the dot. Not bad considering the fact that it was close to 3:30am before I fell asleep. We decided we would skip breakfast at the resort and make our way straight to the park. We wanted to spend the entire day at Magic as today was suppose to be our best day weather wise. It was approximately 8:30 am by the time we caught the bus, made it through security and entered the park. The weather was mildly chilly and a bit foggy, but I did not care because I was at Disney World.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As you can tell from the above picture, it was extremely crowded at MK this day. As I previously stated, this was at approximately 8:30 am. :eek:

harveyt0206

Original Poster
We stopped in to the bakery for a quick bite to eat. There was no place to sit so we schlepped out to the sidewalk and found a doorway to crouch in and eat our pasteries. Not ideal, but hey, again, I'm at Disney and just needed a bite to get me through until lunch time. With some food and coffee in our system we ran over to Liberty Square for our first ride of the day and trip. Haunted Mansion. This is a tradition for me and hubby. It's almost like a superstition that our trip just won't be right unless we ride Haunted Mansion first.

picture.php

We walked right on, which was perfect. I was disappointed with all the walls blocking the grave yard, but I also understand that it is necessary in order for Disney to perform the work that they are doing in that area. I am trying to keep an open mind about the changes they are making to the que area and hope that we see our old favorites and that changes add to the que rather than diminish what we all know and love in this area.

After exiting the ride I had make a stop at the Haunted Mansion cart/store and spotted this little gem:

picture.php

Oh how I wish I was able to aford every Disney trinket that I come across. Oh well, moving on.....

harveyt0206

Original Poster
We then headed over to Pan's Flight. Both hubby and I love this ride. I know it gets a lot of grief but it's classic Disney in my mind. Hubby likes all the psychedelic colors. The wait was approximately 30 minutes, which we both know is pretty good for Pan. This ride's loading is seriously impacted by Fastpass. I think it's really the only ride that I notice a signifcant wait change due to Fastpass.

picture.php

Hubby waiting in line with a smile on his face. I'm so glad he loves Disney as much as I do.

After Pan we headed over to one of my absolute favorites: Philharmagic. Wait time: 10 minutes,which seems to be about typical anymore.

picture.php

Okay, here is a "minor" complaint about Philharmagic and it has more to do with guests than it does WDW, but how hard is it to follow directions and move allllll the way to the end of the row so that everyone can find seating? We visited Philharmagic three times over the course of our trip and each time we had the same problem with guests stopping right in the middle of the seats and forcing the rest of us to scramble either over them or backing out completely to find another open seat. Very frustrating.

After Philharmagic we decided to ride a few more things in Fantasyland as well as visit Sir Mickey's and Castle Couture, two of my favorite stores at MK.

While waiting in line for Snow White, I saw these lovely ladies heading toward the castle:

picture.php

picture.php

Love this store. It definitely brings out the wanna be Princess in me.

picture.php

Also, I have to apologize for the date stamps on all my pics. I'm not very artistic so pictures are honestly just a way for me to remember all the great things I did/saw. I'm not good at it but it is what it is. I know I could photoshop all the datestamps out and blah, blah, blah...but I honestly just don't have the patience for that. So, for all those folks on this board who take amazing, artistic photos - you will probably be driven to madness by my pictures. :ROFLOL:

After bouncing around Fantasyland for awhile, we decided to head over to Pecos Bill's for some big old greasy burger goodness. Sorry, I didn't take any food pictures for some reason. I usually do, but this trip was just different in tone and approach and for whatever reason, the food pics just didn't happen.

I love Pecos Bill's and so does hubby. It's a must do for both of us every trip. That topping bar is awesome!

We felt tons better after eating and made our way over to Adventureland.

We rode Pirates (20 minute wait) and then headed over to Jungle Cruise. Since it was mid-afternoon the crowds were much bigger and the wait times were much longer. Plus, it was my understanding that this was the first "nice" day that WDW had seen in about a week so of course everyone was hitting the parks that day. At one point I ck'd Touring Plans on my phone and they had MK listed as a 9.6 crowd. It felt like it at times. Jungle Cruise was running at 45 minutes so we decided to just walk around for awhile and take some pictures. We did do one attraction that neither one of us has ever been through:

picture.php

I have to admit that while this attraction probably didn't reach our "must do" list, I did enjoy it very much. There are some great photo and viewing opportunities in this attraction. Plus, I have the Music of the Parks CD so I love it when I can hear the music from that CD in the actual attraction.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just a few shots from various points within the Swiss Family Treehouse.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Some additional pics and comments from Adventureland and the hub:

picture.php

picture.php

Other than "Partners", this Pinnochio statue is my favorite from around the Hub. I just love the interaction between Pinnochio and Jiminy Cricket. So sweet.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Christmas decorations, especially the Poinsettas were so beautiful. I personally think Disney does an amazing job decorating each park for each season. I know a lot has been cut out or back over the years, but I still tend to think more about the big picture and how hard (and expensive) it really must be for WDW to keep up with the vast number of decorations tht they use. it's one of the things I most appreciate about each visit.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
After spending some time exploring the decorations in the Hub we moved on to Tomorrowland and we were able to work in two attractions that neither one of us has ever visited: Monster's In Laugh Floor and Carousel of Progress.

I loved Monster's Inc. I thought it was funny and clever and I'm probably a bit predjudiced since it's one of my favorite movies. And I'm so happy that I finally took the time to see Carousel of Progress. It has so much charm and history attached to it. Plus, we spent the rest of our trip singing "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

picture.php

picture.php

We stopped in to Mickey's Star Traders and I came across this Holiday version of Mickey ears and I have to ask - is anyone really able to wear these? The height of the Santa cap made it very difficult to do anything because I constantly felt as if the ears were about to fall off. So, in the end, these "little beauties" stayed at the store.

picture.php

Our longest wait of the day came at Space Mountain. The sign said 60 minutes but I think it was closer to 80 by the time we loaded on to our rocket. After Space Mountain we headed over to the PEOPLEMOVER!! I love the new sign (although I didn't get a picture). Peoplemover is by far one of my favorite MK rides. I could ride it over and over and be 100% content.

picture.php

As you can see, it was getting later in the day so we decided to run over to Mickey's Toontown to see it one last time before the wrecking ball does away with it. On our way over we caught the Walter E. Disney leaving the station.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We ended up making a big circle and found ourselves an Cosmic Rays - another MUST do each trip. I always end up getting the chicken/rib combo meal here. It was great as usual, but we had a difficult time finding a place to sit. After walking around for about 10 minutes a table finally opened up. Once I sat down to eat I realized that all the excitement from the past two days and lack of sleep was catching up with me. We were fortunate enough to catch the lighting of the Dreamlights on the castle and either I was extremely tired, or simply overwhelmed with the magic of it all, but the Castle lighting brought a tear to my eye. It is a must see, in my opinion.

Again, I have to reiterate my complete lack of skill when it comes to photography, but here are a few pics of the castle from that night.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We stayed at MK until almost 9:30. The crowd was still unbelievable and my behind was starting to really drag. We knew that we had at least a 45 minute trek back to the resort in front of us so at this point we decided that we had in fact accomplished quite a bit for our first day. We made our way back to All Star Movies, grabbed some hot chocolate at the food court and were back in the room by 11:00. After taking a shower my head finally hit the pillow at midnight and let me tell ya, I was so tired that I didn't even notice the size of the bed at that point.

Day one was perfect. We had no real issues. The weather was lovely and we rode every attraction we wanted and then some. The decorations were gorgeous.

Next up, day 2 at Epcot (and I promise, the next few days won't be as detailed as our picture taking dropped dramatically due to the weather).

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Day 2: 12/11/10 - Epcot: Also known as the "who turned off the heater" day.

We once again woke bright an early on Sunday morning. It was Epcot day and I was more excited than I realized as Epcot is my favorite overall park. I love the music you hear as you walk into Future World and seeing Spaceship Earth looming large over the entry way. We arrived at the park very near 9:00 am and immediately marched ourselves over to the Land (along with every other living soul who was visiting that day). Tracy has never been on Soarin', so I my number one goal for Epcot was to make sure he had a chance to ride. We got our Fastpasses and then went over to Sunshine Season's for breakfast. I find that breakfast at WDW is pretty ehhh....It's not bad but it isn't wow either. It does exactly what it is suppose to do, which is make the hunger go away. We had a bit of trouble with our meal plan as after we sat down I realized that the cashier actually charged us for breakfast rather than using our dining credits. Tracy went up to have it corrected and she was none too pleased and said that it was our fault for not informing her that we were on the dining plan. Since I'm in charge of the meals and monitoring the dining plan he wasn't even really sure how to respond. Plus, he's way too polite to give her the same attitude he was getting from her. Once we got that straightened out and finished eating, we had about a an hour and a 1/2 to kill before our fastpasses for Soarin' were ready. Now, I have to admit that mine and hubby's park approach is not one that many folks find appealing as we tend to ping pong wherever we feel like going rather than taking a methodical, rationale approach. So, we walked out of the Land and headed over the Spaceship Earth. On the way over we were commenting on how great the weather was that day. It was chilly, maybe mid to upper 60's, but sunny and breezy.

picture.php

After SSE we headed BACK over to the Land and rode Living with the Land, one of the most underrated rides in my opinion. But then again I'm a huge fan of any boat ride.

picture.php

picture.php

It was now time to hit Soarin. We got into the Fastpass line and I would say our wait was less than 15 minutes. I was so excited for Tracy to have the opportunity to experience this ride for the first time and fortunately, he loved it. When I think of Soarin's concept, it really is amazing how much I love it considering it essentially just a very large motion picture with some sensory perceptions additions. But with that being said...we adore Soarin'. It's an absolute must do for us now.

When we walked in to the Land it was a lovely day. When we walked out after riding Soaring - not so much. The wind had picked up considerably and it was starting to rain. We headed over to MouseGear and put on our ponchos. Right about then, the sky opened up and it rained for approximately 45 minutes. We hung out in MouseGear for about a 1/2 an hour but eventually we decided to just suck it up and head back to World Showcase. We felt like the Postal service that day in that we weren't about to let wind or rain or whatever stop us from enjoying our day at Epcot.

Here I am sporting my lovely poncho and cold weather gear:
picture.php

We started in Canda and immediately I was impressed with all the lovely holiday decorations. It was cold. It was rainy. It kind of felt like Christmas!

picture.php

Each pavilion had it's own distinct style.

picture.php

More from France

picture.php

It was early afternoon and we were cold and wet so we decided to stop and see if we could get a table at Teppan Edo. Even though it wasn't on our dining plan we really didn't care at that point. We just wanted some place warm and a nice hot meal. We were extremely lucky because they seated us immediately, without a reservation. Woo hoo!

picture.php

Yummm...look at the hot, steamy goodness. It was wonderful. Our Chef was hysterical and the food was delicious. We haven't been to this restaurant since 2004 so I was somewhat concerned as to whether it would be as good as we remembered. It was.
picture.php

After our lovely meal and feeling refreshed (and most importantly, warm) we headed back out into the cold. The rain had slowed to a slight trickle but the wind was starting to pick up and it seemed that the temperature was dropping minute to minute.

We continued our tour of World Showcase.

picture.php

We stopped in to listen to the Voices of Liberty. They performed a medley of Christmas carols, which blew me away. I love Voices of Liberty and try to incorporate one of their shows into every trip. If you haven't had the opportunity to experience one of their performances then I highly recommend you do so during your next visit. And definitely make sure you sit under the rotunda to get the full acoustic effect.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
We moved on through World Showcase, making a point to stop off in Germany and check out the new caramel shop. The scent alone drew me to this new shop. And apparently everyone else had the same idea as the line was out the door. Since I wasn't feeling patient enough to stand in line for a treat, and also because I was still full from our dinner, we moved on. But I fully intend to stop back during future trips because it smelled heavenly in there.

I collect Holiday nutcrackers so this display in Germany was probably my favorite from the Worldshowcase collection.
picture.php

China sans any real Holiday participation.

picture.php

The rain had stopped completely, which was great. I was getting tired, or else I was in a food coma from our lunch in Japan and was debating going back to the room. Tracy thought we should catch the boat over to DHS and see the Osborne lights. Neither one of us has ever seen them in person so I thought "sure, let's go" and off we went. Here are a few shots taken before we exited the International Gateway:

picture.php

picture.php

harveyt0206

Original Poster
I absolutely adore the boat ride between Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Fortunately the heater was working on our boat so that 20 minute trip was pure bliss.

As I mentioned previously, neither Tracy nor myself has ever had the pleasure of seeing the Osborne lights in person. I've watched many a video of the display and have seen oodles of pictures but I was in no way prepared for the magnitude of the show. It was pure magic and once again I found myself tearing up over the impressiveness of it all. The music. The snow. The shear number of lights EVERYWHERE....I honestly don't have the vocabulary to explain how overwhelmed I was. I tried to take a few pictures but, once again there is no way I can do the display justice.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was crowded but I honestly have to say that I didn't pay one bit of attention to that. I also forgot that I was cold because I think that added a note of authenticity to the New York street setting.

I know that some have asked that Disney do something other than the Osborne lights since it has been displayed so many years in a row now but for one hope that this is one of those Disney traditions that stays right where it is. In case you can't tell, I loved it.

We stayed for about two hours just enjoying all that the Osborne lights have to offer before heading back out to catch our bus back to the resort. We didn't ride a single thing in the park. We did explore several of stores before heading out and hubby bought him a new rugby shirt with the 1971 design. We were back at the resort at approximately 10:30 pm. We ran down to the food court and got our hot chocolate then it was sleepy time.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Day 3 and 4: Monday 12/13 and Tuesday 12/14

I am combining Monday and Tuesday because honestly there isn't much to say except that it.....was....COLD!

Now, I'm from Ohio so I am totally use to snow, wind, ice, rain, whatever. But, I was in no way prepared for the windchill factor that we had on Monday and Tuesday. I believe they said it felt like 18 degrees on Monday. Seriously? I'm in Florida and it feels like I never left home.

We woke up Monday morning and decided to try Animal Kingdom for a few hours. We got there at 10 am and stayed until about 1:30. We had breakfast, rode Safari and then went to Nemo. I promptly fell asleep after about ten minutes of Nemo. I suppose it was that lethal combination of coming in from the freezing cold into a warm and cozy environment. Wipes me out everytime. I saw about ten minutes of the show.

I was surprised at how many animals we actually saw on our safari. I suppose I was expecting them to be hibernating until normal Florida temperatures returned, but we saw quite a few animals. Apparently they are much tougher than I am. Hubby wanted to take some pics, so we walked around for about an hour.

Here is a pic of me doing my very best impression of "yes, I actually am conducting an expedition in the Himalayan mountains".

picture.php

So, it's pretty obvious that I'm not a teeny tiny petite little flower. I'm from very "hearty" Norwegian stock and my body type is in keeping with my viking heritage. But I seriously felt like a weeble wobble with all my layers. I have on a coat, a hoody, two long sleeve shirts, a short sleeve shirt, a scarf and gloves and I was still freezing. The wind was unbelievable.

Hubby doesn't look like he is suffering too much in this picture. I guess I'm just a weenie.

picture.php

We headed back to the hotel around 2:00. I took off my 48 layers, turned the heat up to 150 and took a nap.

Around 5:00 we headed over to MK to watch the Main Street Electrical Parade. A first for us both. I'm a Spectromagic girl. I enjoyed the floats in MSEP but overall I just prefer Spectro.

Unfortunately I realized that I simply don't have the fortitude to stand around and watch parades any more. I love them, I really do, but I hate the rudeness that is inherent to the process. I try to stake out my parade spot at least 1/2 an hour before the start of any parade. Yet it never fails that I always end up getting pushed out of the way by a large group of people who decide to wait until the last second to find a viewing spot and inevitably, they choose right where I am standing. I understand that things happen but seriously, if you are going to wait til the last minute to find a viewing spot then please don't be surprised when I politely ask you to stand behind me rather than directly in front of me.

We hung out at Magic for a few hours but again, the weather being what it was I just didn't have it in me to stay until the 11 park closing.

picture.php

picture.php

We were back at the resort by 10:00.

We slept in the next morning, neither one of us feeling overly ambitious or anxious to spend the day fighting the cold. We finally drug our lazy bones down to Downtown Disney for a few hours.

We had lunch at Wolfgang Pucks, which is one of the best values for a counter service selection.

That evening we had tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party so we once again headed back to the resort to make sure we had enough layers on to make it through the evening.

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party:

The party was one of the main reasons we wanted to visit during the Holidays. We are both huge fans of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and therefore anticipated having fun at this event too.

And, it didn't disappoint us. I thought the parade was perfect. The toy soldiers were a highlight for me.

It was nice getting hot chocolate but the cookies were just so so in my opinion.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I actually didn't take too many pictures of the parade because I couldn't find a good setting on my camera and in the end I decided it was just more important to sit back and enjoy the show and not worry about whether or not I have perfect pictures.

Again, because of the weather we only stayed until 10:30. We had to get back and pack for our 11:15 am pick up by the Magical Express.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, we had a completely wonderful time. Despite the unfortunate cold snap, it was all worth it just to see some of the amazing Disney decorations.

Osborne lights was a real highlight for me as was the Christmas party.

In the end I am so pleased that we took this trip. We didn't get to do everything that was on our list but we did most of it. I have some great memories and have to say that the Disney magic is still alive and well for me.

If you've made it through this entire trip report, thank you so much for coming along on our little journey with us.

Happy 2011 Disney friends.

HollyBelle

Thanks for the great report, Tracy! I was looking for myself in your pictures, but we weren't at the same parks on the same days. I can totally relate over the weather on Monday and Tuesday... I looked much like you, bundled up in layers upon layers; it's just too bad they weren't effective in keeping that wind from chilling me to the bone.

I, too, find the Osborne lights to be one of the very best things about the holidays at Disney. There's just something emotional that comes over me every time I walk around the corner onto the Streets of America.

Then, the more I thought about it the more I realized that for me a trip report is the means by which I have the opportunity to assess the fun that was had, remember the magical memories and appreciate the very fact that I had another great trip to Disney.

I absolutely couldn't agree more with this statement. I'd say I probably write the reports more for myself than for the readers. Sounds kind of selfish, but it's my way of documenting our adventures. I'm glad you decided to follow through with the report! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks!

smk

I think that even if a person from a cold weather state can tolerate the cold, cold weather it is different in Florida. It is a damper cold than here in the midwest and no matter what I am never happy to have to wear a coat, hat and mittens in WDW! Glad you got to go, sorry about the cold temps but sounds like you all made the best of it!

heartodisney

Great pics and great report! The pic with your DH in line for a ride, Peter Pans flight...there is a chick on his left shoulder..WIDE EYED!!! :ROFLOL: :lookaroun

harveyt0206

Original Poster
Thanks for the great report, Tracy! I was looking for myself in your pictures, but we weren't at the same parks on the same days. I can totally relate over the weather on Monday and Tuesday... I looked much like you, bundled up in layers upon layers; it's just too bad they weren't effective in keeping that wind from chilling me to the bone.

I, too, find the Osborne lights to be one of the very best things about the holidays at Disney. There's just something emotional that comes over me every time I walk around the corner onto the Streets of America.

I absolutely couldn't agree more with this statement. I'd say I probably write the reports more for myself than for the readers. Sounds kind of selfish, but it's my way of documenting our adventures. I'm glad you decided to follow through with the report! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks!

Awww...thanks for reading. :) And I don't think your statement is selfish at all. I totally understand what you are saying. I just know that I love reading everyone else's trip reports, an activity that I am wayyy behind on right now. But now that I'm done with mine I can't wait to catch up with everyone elses. :wave:

I think that even if a person from a cold weather state can tolerate the cold, cold weather it is different in Florida. It is a damper cold than here in the midwest and no matter what I am never happy to have to wear a coat, hat and mittens in WDW! Glad you got to go, sorry about the cold temps but sounds like you all made the best of it!

You make an excellent point. The cold is definitely a different kind of cold. Plus I think it's always a shock when you have to whip out your scarf and gloves in Florida. But still, I can't forget that I was still at my favorite vacation destination in the World and that helps.

Great pics and great report! The pic with your DH in line for a ride, Peter Pans flight...there is a chick on his left shoulder..WIDE EYED!!! :ROFLOL: :lookaroun

I always wonder who the random strangers in my pictures are. I like to make up entire background stories for them. I just know that some day I am going to locate myself in someone elses pictures and you know what...I will be thrilled when that happens. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom