Harry Potter will it hurt monster?

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
I heard that Harry Potter has already made 75 million on just pre-opening tickets sales. I was wondering if this is going to hurt Monster inc. or is it going to be a Pearl Harbor first weekend good but a great decrease in week to come. Just like Sherk was hurt for a week by Pearl Harbor?

NowInc

Well...Monsters Inc has already been out for almost 2 weeks here...kids movies are the highest grossing films....harry potter will be NO exception...seeing how its "new"...it will definatly steal the #1 spot from Monsters Inc..but trust me...Monsters Inc is far from done.

Ariel

I don't think it'll hurt Monsters...it'll be competition for sure, but I think that Monsters will hold it's own. Although, I'm betting that Harry is more successful, simply because of the anticipation. Word on NBC News last night was that Harry is predicted to go beyond Titanic. Who knows?

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc
Well...Monsters Inc has already been out for almost 2 weeks here...kids movies are the highest grossing films....harry potter will be NO exception...seeing how its "new"...it will definatly steal the #1 spot from Monsters Inc..but trust me...Monsters Inc is far from done.

That's funny. I'd actually heard the exact opposite, mostly attributed to the number of discounted tickets for the young guests and the fact that the most popular times for such movies are twilight showings... They usually have to sell a lot more tickets to do as well as their adult counterparts... Then again, they are usually a lot shorter so they can be shown more often in the course of a day but unless they are popular enough to fill all those showings, they are still at a disadvantage.

Fantasia Fan

Originally posted by NowInc
Kids movies to better than all other types because parents take kids to see them MULTPLE times....

Certainly a spellchecker wouldn't hurt your posts. It pains one to read messages that aren't spellchecked.

Back to the important subject though, is it necessarily a case of parents taking kids to see the movie multiple times? You're already shelling out a princely sum of money to take your kid(s) to see this movie once. There comes the fact that it will be released on video and DVD at some point. I believe the cutoff age for kids prices is around 12. If there is any group that can drive repeat business for a movie it is teenagers. The success of the movie Titanic will certainly show that. Teenagers are very likely to see a movie more than once. I will agree that there are many numerous cases of parents taking their kids to see a movie a couple of times but I also feel that a lot of money can be generated by word of mouth to people who haven't seen it. That would be a figure I would like to see more often in box office reports, the type of ticket bought as opposed to the dollar amount.

Word of mouth sustained Shrek for its long run and the low dropoff for Monsters, Inc. seems to indicate that word of mouth is very good for it as well. Know the target audience that will go to see the movie and work on getting those who may not have known about it.

NowInc

Originally posted by Fantasia Fan

Certainly a spellchecker wouldn't hurt your posts. It pains one to read messages that aren't spellchecked.

Back to the important subject though, is it necessarily a case of parents taking kids to see the movie multiple times? You're already shelling out a princely sum of money to take your kid(s) to see this movie once. There comes the fact that it will be released on video and DVD at some point. I believe the cutoff age for kids prices is around 12. If there is any group that can drive repeat business for a movie it is teenagers. The success of the movie Titanic will certainly show that. Teenagers are very likely to see a movie more than once. I will agree that there are many numerous cases of parents taking their kids to see a movie a couple of times but I also feel that a lot of money can be generated by word of mouth to people who haven't seen it. That would be a figure I would like to see more often in box office reports, the type of ticket bought as opposed to the dollar amount.

Word of mouth sustained Shrek for its long run and the low dropoff for Monsters, Inc. seems to indicate that word of mouth is very good for it as well. Know the target audience that will go to see the movie and work on getting those who may not have known about it.

Sorry about the spelling :rolleyes:

You would be suprised at how many parents took theur kids 4 or more times to see Monsters Inc already. and it is just getting started. As expensive as it may seem, it happens. It is rare for a parent to find a movie they can watch with their kids, and once one finally presents itself..they take FULL advantage. You think a kid cares that he/she's seen the movie 20 times? If anything, they will BRAG about it.

Yes...word of mouth does play a big part...but are you ignoring the HUGE advertising campaign thrown by Disney on this one? This isn't just word of mouth, this is smart promotion of a good product.

Monsters Inc hasn't even gone over to the world market yet, it still has a LOT more money to make, and once its ready for DVD/Video, I am sure it will be one of the top 5 grossing films of all time. (Bold statment? We'll see)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Can you say 8000 Screens!!!!

Which might be a new record.
That’s the word that Potter will be in roughly 3500-4000 theaters and on at least 8000 screens. The movie checks in at 2.5 hrs I believe. Which makes it harder to turn around in the same theater, so they just put it on more screens in the same theater. Anyway.....I am done rambling :animwink: :D

DMC-12

Sunday Numbers for Potter

Harry Potter $93.5M opening weekend shatters records - CBS MarketWatch.com

Harry Potter also breaks U.K. opening record with $23M - CBS MarketWatch.com

MovieTickets.com says Potter record for opening weekend - CBS MarketWatch.com

DMC-12

Little Boy who practices Black Magic Kills T-Rex and Tricertops in one Fell swoop of his evil wand !

(kiddin kidding...) Read on....

"Harry Potter" appears on track to squash the three-day opening gross revenue record of $72.1 million maintained by "The Lost World: Jurassic Park." It's, in fact, projected to gross a total of $105 million over the same period.

The Mom

Premium Member

As far as I know, this forum does not have a spellchecker for posts. I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and always treat spelling errors as typos...and hope others will extend the same courtesy to me.

;)

Beauty and the

Originally posted by marciahahn
As far as I know, this forum does not have a spellchecker for posts. I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and always treat spelling errors as typos...and hope others will extend the same courtesy to me.

;) [/B]

Wel sayd Marcy, doz it relly mater if u carn't spel:animwink:

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Beauty and the

Wel sayd Marcy, doz it relly mater if u carn't spel:animwink:

Beauty, didn't we just go through this? Also, I was able to find at least 5 grammatical errors in YOUR post, Fantasia Fan! That's why I hesitate to correct anyone's spelling and/or grammar! (unless it's markymark; he knows I'm only teasing.) Murphy's Law states that anyone correcting someone else's English will invariably make a mistake him(her)self!

mightyduck

Why, what an awkward thing to say.

Certainly manners wouldn't hurt your posts. It pains us (the use of "one" is a bit stuffy for a forum, don't you think?) to read messages that aren't courteous.

Beauty and the

Originally posted by marciahahn

Beauty, didn't we just go through this? Also, I was able to find at least 5 grammatical errors in YOUR post, Fantasia Fan! That's why I hesitate to correct anyone's spelling and/or grammar! (unless it's markymark; he knows I'm only teasing.) Murphy's Law states that anyone correcting someone else's English will invariably make a mistake him(her)self!

I was actually supporting you Marcia, I think anyone who corrects other peoples postings(apart from Marks), is a little sad to say the least and needs to get a life:brick: : :brick:

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Beauty and the

I was actually supporting you Marcia, I think anyone who corrects other peoples postings(apart from Marks), is a little sad to say the least and needs to get a life:brick: : :brick:

Beauty, I absolutely knew you were supporting me!!:) I realize your illiterate post was in jest!! I'm sorry if I gave you the impression my remark about corrections was aimed at you; I was referring to a previous post about 2 weeks ago where someone took it upon himself to make fun of another poster's grammar, and you pointed out that his was not exactly perfect, either. I was aiming my remark at Fantasia Fan, and reminding you that we seemed to have another member of the "English Spelling/Grammar Errors Are Heinous And Must Be Eradicated" club. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom