Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey Dec. Refurb

dennis-in-ct

can they please adjust the ride motion to make it less nauseating ? the "swaying" like we are flying needs to be toned down. Towards the end of the ride, the motion becomes overwhelming. Compared to Gringotts where we want to run back on the ride - for Forbidden Journey we need a break and need to eat something to settle our stomach.

HouseHacker97

I don't care for the 3D but I've noticed the projections are getting faded and hard to see sometimes and that the newer FJ's are a lot brighter and clearer.
Cant they bring that part without the 3D aspect?? :(

JediMasterMatt

can they please adjust the ride motion to make it less nauseating ? the "swaying" like we are flying needs to be toned down. Towards the end of the ride, the motion becomes overwhelming. Compared to Gringotts where we want to run back on the ride - for Forbidden Journey we need a break and need to eat something to settle our stomach.

You have no idea how much effort Uni Creative has put into trying to combat this. They've adjusted the ride profile multiple times, upped the lumens on the projectors and increased the resolution (slightly), and added in air blowers to pump air across your face.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever be able to get all of the motion sickness out of it. Even if the Kuka arms were to remain still (expect to flip you from one screen/show side to the other, the real issue is that your inner ear knows that something is wrong with what your eyes are telling you. Your ears are always in constant counter-clockwise movement with the RV while the projection scenes are "moving" you forward. The disconnect in the brain will always be there.

The only other thing that they could try is to limit the movement of what is in focus on the screen to keep it centered. A huge part of motion sickness from projected images comes from eye movement. Having your focus drawn away from screen center and moving them can reek havoc on your equilibrium while your brain is being tricked with tricked by your eyes and your inner ear is calling them out on it.

So... enjoy it as best you can. Take some ginger (pills, snaps, or soda) and try to keep your eyes focused on the center of the screen while riding.

Even with 400+ rollercoasters under my belt, I can only do about 4-6 laps in a row on FJ using the single rider line before I need to take break (I usually jump on Fire Dragon for the break).

The Tuna

Weren't they going to perform some upgrades to the projectors to 4K? I wonder if that will help. I rode it two times in a row the first time and I have never felt so discombobulated in my life. The first time i felt like I was getting old. Thankfully I felt old many times since then, so its not just that ride, but it is a bit of an unpleasant ride at times due to the motion sickness. Great ride, Queue, story. Hopefully they can fix that.

Jon81uk

We found this a big issue this trip too, did Forbidden Journey once and it was enough, but Gringotts we did three times and loved it. Considering how well the 3D and motion is synced on Spiderman I am surprise the whole ride on Forbidden Journey is not as good as it should be.

JoeCamel

We found this a big issue this trip too, did Forbidden Journey once and it was enough, but Gringotts we did three times and loved it. Considering how well the 3D and motion is synced on Spiderman I am surprise the whole ride on Forbidden Journey is not as good as it should be.

It was better when it opened IMO

Prince-1

Can I get an AMEN!!!

ElvisMickey

Just a suggestion...the first time I rode this in 2011, I got super nauseous to the point where it took me half the day to start feeling normal again. Ever since then, I pop two Bonine (motion sickness pills) about 45 minutes to an hour before I ride anything at Uni and it works like a charm. I've been fine ever since.

Furiated

Just a suggestion...the first time I rode this in 2011, I got super nauseous to the point where it took me half the day to start feeling normal again. Ever since then, I pop two Bonine (motion sickness pills) about 45 minutes to an hour before I ride anything at Uni and it works like a charm. I've been fine ever since.

Another vote for Bonine, my gf and I use it at the parks for stuff like this and it works great.

Oddly enough, I've never had this problem on FJ. I get motion sickness on spinny rides (still have never done Mission Space), back and forth rides, and occasionally extreme coasters, but FJ has never bothered me like that, even before they started tweaking the ride profile.

DisneyPrincess5

Thanks for the update @Disneyhead'71
It is rather interesting that the rehab is being done then and not during a maybe slower, post holiday season. Ideally hope 3D isn't added. The ride is intense and detailed enough to me already, 3D would add WAY too much stimulus I feel.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the suggestion!

My issue is, that if I need to pop a pill to go on a ride, its probably not worth to go on in the first place haha

danpam1024

Are you able to still have a couple of beers if you take it? Asking for a friend:D

ElvisMickey

Are you able to still have a couple of beers if you take it? Asking for a friend:D

I would love to give you a solid answer, but I'm not a beer drinker lol. I'm more of a Jack or Captain on the rocks kind of guy. However I definitely don't drink if I'm going on anything that I know has the potential to make me nauseous, Bonine or not.

danpam1024

I would love to give you a solid answer, but I'm not a beer drinker lol. I'm more of a Jack or Captain on the rocks kind of guy. However I definitely don't drink if I'm going on anything that I know has the potential to make me nauseous, Bonine or not.
When I get off FJ- we head to Hogshead to get a beer- it makes me feel better LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom